Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Making this post for those of you out there trying to make some small modifications to your bike without all the hassle. What I thought would be a quick swap of handlebars took me a while to complete between researching, trial, and error. Hope I can save other riders the headaches I felt. 😬

Handlebars:
Disclaimer: I ended with the stock bars. This section is more to tell you what I found didn't work.

I bought my bike from a guy who put taller handlebars on that were silver. I didn't like the way the looked on the bike at all, and have been meaning to change them for a while. Ideally, I wanted to put on some clubman handlebars that will give it a more aggressive style. Considering handlebars can run pretty cheap, I bought 3 pairs to compare against one another. (all of the pictures are attached).

I bought 2 different types of clubman bars because I heard they will bump into the headlight housing. This wasn't enough to deter me, because I wanted to check out other headlight options anyway. I also bought a set of OEM bars that were shorter than the ones I bought with the bike. Most of you probably have these on your bikes already. I tried all of these bars in upright and upside down positioning and included pictures below.

The one set of clubmans would not fit in the proper position at all, but if you're into it, you could flip them upright for a higher riding position (picture included). Of all the bars, I initially liked the wider set of clubmans the most, and was just barely able to fit them around the headlight housing. I considered just taking the headlight off and redo housing to accommodate the bars. I was thinking about doing it anyway... It looked soo good with the clubman bars in their proper position! (sorry accidentally deleted those pictures)

However, with the clubman bars I had to undo all the wiring and tubing clamps and I was going to have to re-secure everything in a different way. The wires reached the bars no problem, but it was going to be a bit of work to ensure they were secured. Before rewiring I wanted to get a feel for where I wanted everything to sit. After getting the controls fastened to the new bars I hit a really big snag. I realized that I couldn't fully turn the handlebars anymore. The controls were bumping the fairings. I considered the possibility of risers, so I simulated this with a block of wood. Even with the bars 2" off the clamps, the controls still bumped the fairing when I fully turned the wheel... 😫

After that, I gave up on the clubman bars and just decided to go with the stock bar. Disappointing, but still an improvement over my original bars. There are probably other options for bars out there that could work, like drag bars or straight bars. I think they would have the same potential to hit those clunky fairings on the front end though.

Grips:
The grips were kind of a pain for me to figure out too. The issue is that the throttle tube is integrated with the throttle grip on this bike. They don't have very good options for aftermarket grips that I saw with an integrated throttle tube. What I decided to do was buy a 7/8" throttle tube for a different Honda model and replace the stock tube completely. Link below to the best option I found.

The problem was that this tube was too long, and all the other ones I found were too short, so I had to cut it. I completely botched it the first time and cracked the tube (don't try PVC pipe cutters). Instead I got a different pipe cutter to trim it down to the size I needed. So yes, I had to buy 2 throttle tubes and a new tool. I'm trying to save someone the frustration. Got the grips on just fine after that.

Bar end mirrors:
I feel like these really tied the bars together. They are not really the folding type despite what the name says, but you also won't have to pay for each mirror individually and then for the bolts to secure them. They work fine for me! They have multiple points to tighten them as well. They are pretty secure.

Hope I can save someone the time and problems I had when I started this process. This bike is definitely harder to modify than I would have liked. I guess at some point you have to ask yourself "why don't I just get another bike?" 🤪

Throttle Tube:

Grips:

Mirrors:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,270 Posts
Thanks for the post, I'm sure some may find it useful.
Just a heads up on the grips, they are definitely not "integrated". The throttle tube has bumps on it to increase adhesion of the grip, but you can still remove them with a blast of compressed air, or if you have no need for the old ones, they can just be sliced off with a razor blade down their length. There's a myriad of methods for getting the grip on the throttle tube too, from that same compressed air,using hair spray, even zip ties to act as rails for it to slide on then pull them out once fitted (I personally use this method)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post, I'm sure some may find it useful.
Just a heads up on the grips, they are definitely not "integrated". The throttle tube has bumps on it to increase adhesion of the grip, but you can still remove them with a blast of compressed air, or if you have no need for the old ones, they can just be sliced off with a razor blade down their length. There's a myriad of methods for getting the grip on the throttle tube too, from that same compressed air,using hair spray, even zip ties to act as rails for it to slide on then pull them out once fitted (I personally use this method)
I guess I was so scared of the idea of cutting of the grip that I didn't try to peel it back enough. I did need to replace the throttle tube regardless though because the last guy that changed the handle bars broke the piece where the throttle cable connects. This is what sent me down the rabbit hole of trying to find a new throttle tube.

With your insights, I could have bought a whole new grip, cut it off and used that throttle tube. Guess not much of a difference in my case anyway. Good to know for future reference. Thanks for your comment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts