Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When should the first oil change be "by the book" ? Would anyone here be doing their own thing and changing the engine oil in their CBR before the first recommended oil change? If so, when?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is anyone going to do an oil change before the first oil change interval just to ensure better removal of engine metal shavings and lubrication of the engine during the "engine break-in" period?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll probably do the oil change around 500miles just to be safe. Im a little bit anal when it comes to having fresh and non contaminated oil in my bike. Oil is cheap to change and run but its also the most important if you look at how it works. Your bike depends on the oil just as much as gasoline.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
With any new bike, I ride it home from the dealer (~35-40 miles) doing a LOT of engine braking and running the engine up to about 85% of redline in the various gears. Do an oil/filter change. Ride another 100-150 miles doing lots of compression (engine) braking. Change oil/filter again. Ride bike to 600 miles. Change oil/filter again; adjust the valves. Consider the bike broken in.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I take photos and have a "log book" (surveyer's transit book) that has gas and maintenance recorded.

I do my own general maintenance, so I keep records in case I need the warranty. I've only had two new bikes and neither needed any work under the warranty (which is only 1 year in the USA).

You do not have to go to the dealer for maintenance in order to maintain the warranty, if you are in the USA.

MLM Law - Lawyer Grimes & Reese PLLC - Attorney Specializing in Multilevel Marketing - Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, I live in Norway, and here the warranty is 5 years (2 from the manifacturer and 3 stated by law)

The dealer said that I had to come back afte the break-in for the first maintenance interval. Even if he said that just to get money to his shop, I'll still do it, as this is my first bike and I really don't want to mess anything up.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
it is stated as 600 km for the first oil change and after that 12.000 km intervals for oil change? I think it is just torturing the bike.
I changed my first oil at 100 km then again on 1000 km and 3000 km and i will change it every 3000 km as riding a bike with fresh is an ecstasy for me besides, better for the life of teh engine.
i am planning on switching to synthetic oil on 6000 km though, motul or castrol, it does not matter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts