Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2013 CBR500R shifting issue questions

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  westeagle100 
#1 ·
I was riding today and had gotten 2 miles from home and stopped for a traffic light. I took off as normal, shifted to 2nd and then 3rd but when I attempted to shift to 4th the shift lever moved as usual but the gear did not change. The bike remain in 3rd and I could not shift up or down even though the lever moved up and down. As I was close to home I managed to return in 3rd gear without too much trouble. I inspected the linkage expecting to find something loose but everything looked okay. I noticed however that the shaft from the transmission that exits the side of the engine and attaches to the upper shift linkage would slide in and out about 1/4". When pushed in the shift lever moves but does not change gears. When pulled out the gears change as usual.

So while I know this is the problem I am not familiar with how the gears attach to this shaft or how it functions, and fully expect this means a repair at the dealer. Has anyone here had this issue or want to offer an opinion on the following questions?

#1. What the heck happened?

#2. Will this be an extensive repair and how much will it cost?

Thanks, Steve...

See less See more
#2 ·
The axial movement of the shift shaft and the corresponding intermittent shift behavior suggests that the shift shaft retainer inside the trans housing has somehow come loose or broken, allowing the shift shaft to disengage from the shift drum.

The shift shaft (item 10) is what's moving. Its axial movement may be limited by items 1 and 22. Perhaps one or both of these has come loose or bent. I think the clutch cover is going to have to come off to inspect this.

BTW, has the bike ever been on its side before? Laid or fallen down on the its left side?

#3 ·
Thanks Blackfin,

A picture is worth a thousand words and you may have identified the issue. I can see item #11 and it's retaining bolt #22 on the left side of the engine. They are not bent or loose so I would bet on item #1. If I understand the illustration correctly this part holds the spindle in place or limits axial movement. Do you know if it would require only clutch cover removal to access part #1?

To answer your question I purchased the bike used from the dealer in 2013. I have not dropped it and if it were before I purchased it there were no signs of damage. But I cannot say with certainty it didn't happen.

Thanks again.

#5 ·
It sounds like it has to be part #1 and #22 that have come loose. The bolt #1 should have been torqued and have loctite when assembled by Honda to prevent it coming loose. This should all be accessible by removing the right hand side engine cover. I would drain the engine oil, lay the motorcycle down on its left hand side, so the right hand cover is facing upwards and is easily accessibl, then remove the bolts holding on the right hand engine cover, remove the cover (you might have to disconnect the clutch release lever) and you should have access to bolt #1. I would not ride the bike until you have checked, if that bolt completely unscrews and drops into the engine, it could damage the engine or lock it up! Both could result in rider injury.. you will need a new right side cover gasket. Then after loctiting the bolt #1, simply refit the engine casing with new gasket, stand the bike up, fill with engine oil and go ride..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.