Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I'm new to the realm of motorcycles as well as this forum so please forgive me if this has already been asked. I am about to purchase a used 2013 CBR500R off of a private seller. The bike looks great and runs great (has only been dropped once and has a small dent on the gas tank).

However, the handlebars are angled really far back. So far back that when I test drove it and tried to take a turn, the bars hit the tank/fairing after moving them and got jammed between my fingers. Is this normal for this bike/model? Is this something I should be worried about before making the purchase or will this be something I can get used to? Is there a way to adjust this in the future if I need to?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
The bars should not hit tank or trap your hand. Does this happen in both directions? There are lugs on frame to stop this. If bike dropped at any speed and bars hit ground one could be broken, allowing excess lock.
Can the bars be locked with the key on full lock. If not that is one thing thieves do to break steering lock. A sharp wrench on bars can break the lug and allow the bike to be steered.
Not sure if it’s also possible to angle bars back more than standard. Would go and look at my 2014 CBR500R but it’s pitch black outside because of a power cut and raining cats and dogs here so afraid can’t look yet

·
Registered
358 Posts
Since it's been dropped, you might want to get someone who knows bikes to take a look at it. The 500 is a great bike, but if you are a new rider, you might want to consider finding one with ABS. Also note that the front turn signals have been modified. The flush signals look nice, but I don't know if they as noticeable as the stock turn signals from the front. I'd also be concerned about the handle bar thing.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
In my experience, it is possible to squish your thumb between the grip and tank at full lock, but I think it has only happened to me when backing up or attempting really tight, really slow turns. My bike has been dropped on both sides now too so it's possible my clip-ons need to be adjusted or something. I haven't attempted it yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
use a 12mm socket and wrench to loosen the bolt holding the handlebar on the fork and triple clamp.
Tilt the handlebar forward
Make sure the both handlebar are symmetrical
Tighten the bolt.
That might solve the issue of handlebar hitting the tank at full lock

·
Registered
522 Posts
use a 12mm socket and wrench to loosen the bolt holding the handlebar on the fork and triple clamp.
Tilt the handlebar forward
Make sure the both handlebar are symmetrical
Tighten the bolt.
That might solve the issue of handlebar hitting the tank at full lock
I don't think you can do this. The bar angle is not adjustable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts