Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was at a local bike show over the weekend where Honda showcased there three new motorcycles based of off the CB500 chassis. One thing I noticed when I was looking closely at the CBR500F is that there is no wind screen but just a small deflector over the speedometer bezel. Now that rings a question in mind is that would it create turbulence when riding at high speeds and making the ride uncomfortable? Is this usually the case with naked style bikes?

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
definitely, it makes the ride uncomfortable especially above 100 kmh.
it is a common dilemma on naked bikes, lots of power but you cannot go above 120 kmh comfortably:)
but you can get a windshield for it - i have seen on some cb500f here in Thailand and it should be OK but never like a full faired bike like a cbr500r.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am really hoping that they come out with something that is pictured on the link above and not some ugly straight up and down windshield.

To tell you the honest truth I wouldnt usually go for a naked bike for this reason but the F is just so [email protected] nice that getting an aftermarket windshield is no big deal.

I ride my dad's burgman 400 all the time and one of the options I like the most on that thing (other then being so top heavy) is the windshield. You really do notice the difference on the highway.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So i guess this would be only be an issue on the CBR500F while riding at higher speeds. Most likely be affected only on the highway when you reach 120km+. I think there will an aftermarket windscreen made to solve this issue but for this kind of standard bike its more for riding or cruising on windy roads.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
And, some folks like naked bikes, wind and all.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That is true some guys like the raw feeling of wind on the nakie bikes and the cbr500F will be living up to their expectations without a problem ;)

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
yeah, for a real naked lover, wind is part of the game.
But anyway, the philosophy of riding a naked bike is not going faster than 120 kmh but reaching 120 kmh as fast as they can:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone hear or know of a windscreen option for the F? I'm itching to get some trips in but the wind get's a little much above 80. I haven't been able to dig up any screens that would fit for sure.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Given the parts similarity across the three models, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get the windscreen and brackets from an X and bolt them directly onto the top of the F. The two noses look pretty similar.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just an update from my side.. Last night we had some pretty strong head / cross wind (abt 50mph) during my ride home. The F was fine up to 50mph but between 50-60mph the bike was struggling to stay straight. That said it was still well balanced at those speeds and I didn't feel the need to fight it too much. I did get up to 70mph and that's when it got to hairy for me and the bike started weaving into the next lane so backed off and went home for a change of underwear.

Must be noted though I had a cbr1100 pass me when I was at 60mph, he must have been at 70mph, and he was a lot more stable but still feeling the effect of the cross wind.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Well the CBR1100 would have been heavier. The CBR500 is lighter so it obviously won't be as stable at high speeds in cross winds.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
In a 50mph crosswind, any bike is going to feel it. The heavier and lower profile the bike is, the less it will notice it.

There is some technique to riding well in those winds. You sort of lean into them. It's weird feeling at the extreme, you're leaned over to counter the wind, but you're not turning. It's quite possible that the CBR1100 rider was doing better in part because he's more experienced in these conditions.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In a 50mph crosswind, any bike is going to feel it. The heavier and lower profile the bike is, the less it will notice it.

There is some technique to riding well in those winds. You sort of lean into them. It's weird feeling at the extreme, you're leaned over to counter the wind, but you're not turning. It's quite possible that the CBR1100 rider was doing better in part because he's more experienced in these conditions.
I agree. When the wind pushes the bike it resists by automatically leaning into the wind. The bike moves under you but the rider moves over very little. As soon as the gust dies the bike automatically comes upright under the rider. It does feel scary but it is supposed to happen. just relax and let the bike move under you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The CB500f handle bars is 3/4 (6/8) inches round. All the other handle bars are 7/8, 1", or 1"1/4 round. The windscreen supports are 7/8 and above. That goes for universal windscreens, that's why it is hard to find a proper windscreen for the bike. They need to make one for that bike.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Just an update from my side.. Last night we had some pretty strong head / cross wind (abt 50mph) during my ride home. The F was fine up to 50mph but between 50-60mph the bike was struggling to stay straight. That said it was still well balanced at those speeds and I didn't feel the need to fight it too much. I did get up to 70mph and that's when it got to hairy for me and the bike started weaving into the next lane so backed off and went home for a change of underwear.

Must be noted though I had a cbr1100 pass me when I was at 60mph, he must have been at 70mph, and he was a lot more stable but still feeling the effect of the cross wind.
same story tonight, strong side wind and rain on the a1(m) heading north, the little F was holding fine up to 60-65, but any more throttle was making it unstable.. still pretty pleased with the way it handled it... and a little taste of what i am going to be looking forward come the winter..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts