Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A motorcycle dealership has a used 06 CBR600rr with 1,500 miles for $5,499. I might just bite the bullet and skip the CBR500r. It's my first bike. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
More power is nice. If you like laying across the gas tank to ride it, go for it.
I hate the ergo's on those things, but they are good bikes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you have some riding experience under your belt possibly ok, if you're an absolute beginner i'd say pass.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It is a much more powerful motorcycle !
You can get into trouble pretty quick.
Riding position is much more aggressive.

The forks are sprung for a light rider while the rear is sprung much heavier (200 lb range)
So if you are in the 130lb range the fork springs are OK otherwise springs should be switched out to match your weight.
This will better balance the bike

The front brakes are awesome !

Gas mileage will be 35-40MPG depending how you ride.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Not a decision we can make for you.

The only thing the internet can do is give you knowledge to warn you of the risks of starting with a higher powered bike.

Be safe and good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
First off, it's my dream bike. I just LOVE LOVE them. That said, I caution you on the first bike thing. IF you have a few years of steady riding experience then I wish you happy trails. If not you risk encountering issues. The bike is less forgiving. If you grab a hand full of brake you can end up ass over tea kettle which is sub optimal. If you slip a gear....same same. The power is another issues. Some riders comment "it's all throttle control". That is true. However, throttle control is learned with experience. On so called beginner bikes the moment the rider lets free of the throttle the bike immediate slows down enabling the rider to gain control, not so with the SS bikes.

I'm not saying this to discourage as only you know your skill level. Buyers remorse is expensive and serious injury or worse can be permanent. Many new and experienced riders have travelled this road and for some its too late to go back. Go for a test ride, research the pros and cons. Chat with someone who won't blow sunshine up your a$$ cause he wants to make a sale.

Also, make sure that bike had t been laid down.

Cheers

Reactions: Natrix

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Best example of just how unforgiving SS bikes are, is this short clip from the TV show PINKS. The host jumped on someone elses supersport and didn't make it very far at all. The bike PWNED him quick!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I dreamed of buying a 600rr but after a 20 minute test ride my back was sore and my knees hurt. I've never been interested since, take one for a test ride and decide for yourself,

·
Registered
223 Posts
I dreamed of buying a 600rr but after a 20 minute test ride my back was sore and my knees hurt. I've never been interested since, take one for a test ride and decide for yourself,

+1

Yes it is a very aggressive riding position !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts