Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats. How would compare the new and old?
Bikes size wise are very similar, suspension on MT feels better than the CB500F did when new. I've only put 420 miles on MT so far and keeping somewhat within break guidelines but motor is the star of this bike. It's real free revving and not chocked up like some new bikes are. Power delivery is very linear and pulls good from low revs, torque is high low in the revs. Handlebars to high and narrow for me, a renthal ultralow bar is arriving tomorrow. Foot pegs for me need to be back more so probably going to get some rearsets. I ride on the curvy roads in the Smokey mountains and one other upgrade is to raise the rear end some to get more of a sportier handling. There's a company whom makes a suspension link that does this so I'll being emailing them soon. Dash has all the info I want and probably more than I need. I brought it from Bryon Powersports in Bryon Ga. they have some good deals.

https://www.byronpowersports.com/

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I did not look at MT09's as in my opinion they look a little strange, like the gas tanks to high or something. There are many of them always up on 129 Dragon and appear to be good bikes, but I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How are you getting on with your MT? I did it the other way round as after 50 miles had a numb backside, ok the CB500f I brought has a better seat than the mt although not perfect. I prefer the older ('97) double seats as they are far more comfortable than the ones we get on bikes nowadays. Trumpets & Kwaka W800 still do them but I don't need/want a bigger engine bike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently it is sitting in the middle of my garage with no exhaust (stock system weighted 15 lbs.) as I'm awaiting the arrival of a akrapovic full exhaust system via FEDEX. Seat isn't an issue with me as I ride about 60-70 miles and take a break anyhow. You should ride my RC390 that has a 3/4 inch foam pad as a seat. So far other than what I mentioned above it feels like it's geared high so probably going to change sprockets. I will have to send the ECU off for a reflash to match exhaust. I put on Renthal ultra low bars so that's sorted. I don't trust the B23's tires so much as they feel hard to me and I lack confidence in them while leaned over so probably order a set of S22's that I normal put on my bikes. This is my second Yamaha I've owned, first one was a 1977 or 8, XS650 that I had brought used in the early eighties.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love how that cross plane twin sounds with a full Akra.
Agree that's why I spent the money and got this pipe. It just arrived, this is a "proper kit" as they say in the UK. It even came with a tube of copper grease for the threads of the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do you need to send the ECU off? I put a Black Widow set on my yam but didn't need to change/update the ECU as it said when I checked that it was a straight fit and no changes necessary. Mine came with exhaust sealant and copper grease and new header/engine gaskets. Maybe the akra ones are different. I am keeping my stock exhaust/can as not interested in extra performance.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a black widow on my CB500F, it was a good quality header set-up. According to the MT07 Forum doing re-flash is a good upgrade. Akra site says you don't need to but I always do if I put a new full system on. I had a PCV on the CB500F.

Below is what reflash does for MT07.
Custom Flashing Service:(Aftermarket Exhaust)
– Professional cylinder specific fuel map modification to suit specific aftermarket exhaust
– Removal of all gear based or speed dependent restrictions, TRE
– Optimized ignition timing maps for 91+ octane
– Reduce Fan Temps
– Disable Injector Decel Cut
– ECU Based Quickshifter (*when requested, Quickshift kit is also required)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hope you enjoy the 07. Everyone I speak to who owns one loves it. Out of curiosity, who’s doing the flash for you? Interested in hearing about how it transforms after the exhaust install and flag are complete.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I’ve read some good things about 2WD on other forums. Look forward to hearing your impression once the flash is complete.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I got my ECU back today from 2WheelDynoworks and reinstalled it. I then went for a 60 mile ride. First thing, I noticed is the intake sound as 2WDW recommended removal of the airbox snorkel to make the most of the reflash. Exhaust sound seems a bit deeper also, but more importantly it real woke up the throttle response. Previously, it was a little sluggish in the lower/mid rpm’s not now she’s a runner, crisp and clean up and down the rev’s and gears. I paid $275 (Veterans Day Deal) for the reflash which compared to say a PCV (about $375) and a dyno tune ($150, if you can’t find a map) I’m well pleased.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Akrapovic exhaust looks really nice on there, I also like the way Yamaha did the swing arm on the MT-07.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts