Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

I recently sold my bike and will be riding my girlfriend's 2014 CB500F for the meantime while I determine what bike is next for me and could use some direction on a few things from you experts.

1. Shorty Levers
The stock ones are way too long and one is bent due to a tip over. Any recommendations for relatively cheap shorties that work well?

2. Exhaust
Not looking for a full system, realistically just looking to ditch the huge chromed out muffler and put something a bit more low key on the bike (bike is black) - getting a bit louder would be great but not expecting any performance gains and such. Also not wanting to spend too much on it as the bike will not be heavily ridden, cheaper is better.

3. Front Suspension
Is there anything that can be done to stiffen it up a bit? I dont want to do a full new set of forks if possible, but at 200lbs riding in the canyons the front is pretty mushy.

4. Tail Tidy
Any of the cheap china ones actually work and look good?

The bike will be used as a canyon cruiser, not doing any long trips or commuting on it.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
3. Front Suspension
Is there anything that can be done to stiffen it up a bit? I dont want to do a full new set of forks if possible, but at 200lbs riding in the canyons the front is pretty mushy.
I have the same year CB500F and changed the fork springs to stiffen things up. I weight 145 lbs.
I first tried 0.85kg springs.These worked well on smooth surfaces but were somewhat stiff over broken pavement. Next season I switched to Race Tech 0.75kg which I find is more comfortable while still stiffer than the stock 0.6kg springs.

Race Tech has a spring stiffness calculator on their website - try that.

If your girlfriend weighs much less than you do and both will ride the bike, some sort of compromise in spring stiffness will be necessary.

note: I also installed a non-stock rear shock so the rear spring stiffness also went up. If you install the stiffest front springs recommended for your weight and no change at the rear, the bike's suspension may not feel balanced.

And at the rear
If the bike does not have ABS, you can install the adjustable-damping rear shock from a Suzuki GSXR 600/750. I found this transforms the handling at the rear - more comfortable ride, stiffer spring, much more controlled damping. Suggest the one from the 750 given your weight. Buy recent model-year used one on eBay for around $30-$40 (racers replace them with a racing shock).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks vt500 - this bike does have ABS, so sounds like the GSXR shock won't work.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Coffmans is a quality USA made shorty with 3 sound options for $225.00. I paid $35.00 for the rear tag bracket. I passed on the cheap Chinese levers not trusting my life to a front brake lever that cost the Chinese less than $6 to make. A good set of Vortex quality levers will run about $175.00. Check out Race Techs site for front suspension mods and there is a adjustable Honda rear shock upgrade with a remote reservoir for around $45.00 on ebay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello All,

I recently sold my bike and will be riding my girlfriend's 2014 CB500F for the meantime while I determine what bike is next for me and could use some direction on a few things from you experts.

1. Shorty Levers
The stock ones are way too long and one is bent due to a tip over. Any recommendations for relatively cheap shorties that work well?

2. Exhaust
Not looking for a full system, realistically just looking to ditch the huge chromed out muffler and put something a bit more low key on the bike (bike is black) - getting a bit louder would be great but not expecting any performance gains and such. Also not wanting to spend too much on it as the bike will not be heavily ridden, cheaper is better.

3. Front Suspension

4. Tail Tidy

The bike will be used as a canyon cruiser, not doing any long trips or commuting on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello All,

1. Shorty Levers

2. Exhaust

3. Front Suspension

4. Tail Tidy

Hey, I have an Akrapovic carbon slip on muffler in mint condition (sold my 500f a couple years ago) that I’d sell you for $195 plus shipping...also have a factory rear seat cowl in black metallic mint condition for $50....thanks lmk if interested

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I have an Akrapovic carbon slip on muffler in mint condition (sold my 500f a couple years ago) that I’d sell you for $195 plus shipping...also have a factory rear seat cowl in black metallic mint condition for $50....thanks lmk if interested
Not trying to break a sale but have you still got the Akrapovic muffler and know if it will fit a 2014 CB500X?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts