Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
ideally if you have a front stand that goes into the triple tree, put it on the stand, if not, try to lift it up or unweight some other way
1. loosen the preload adjuster as much as it will go
2. loosen the top bolt that holds the fork in the triple tree, leave the bottom one tight
3. unscrew the adjuster, but watch out as it still will be under some tension

you should then be able to inspect the adjuster, maybe put some new seals in or just replace it altogether, you don't have to remove the fork and it's about a 10 minute job if you have a coffee break in between

·
Registered
77 Posts
The 2013-2015 bikes did not come with pre-load adjuster caps. I bought mine from Hong Kong for our bike. The ones Honda uses on newer CB500F may also fit - don't know.

Looks like the seal on the adjuster is leaking. Probably an o-ring that got cut by a sharp edge, or rolled out of position if the adjuster was pushed all the way to its limit..

You can change the caps with the bike on its side stand if you are careful re-installing the cap. If you do not work on cars/bikes, get someone experienced (and gentle) to re-install the caps as it's easy to cross-thread the caps. big problem.

removal
Set one adjuster fully screwed in, other side fully screwed out. Remove the fully screwed out adjuster after first loosening the upper triple tree nut on that side. Cap will jump up a bit when the threads release so be ready.

To re-install
lift handlebars to raise the suspension as high as it will stay.
I use a very long 3" (75mm) 24 mm socket with an extension.
Press the cap down firmly with the socket, pushing threads into the fork, and turn the cap gently. Easier said then done. We are trying to engage the threads properly. If there is resistance, stop! loosen and try again.
Use only light pressure to tighten the cap after it is fully seated. Don't forget to tighten the upper triple tree nut after the cap is tight.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to a buddies house who had a front and rear stand, the o ring on the adjuster screw was on its way out ripped when I tried to move it. Just put the stock caps back on for now, easy as pie. Thanks for the input fellas, ride safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is a good brand preload cap? Def like the suspension more stiff with the preload, stock caps def make it ride different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts