Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i was considering buying a screen i found this one the most acceptable, but the problem was i found only a limited amount of pictures and all of them were of already installed screens

on this forum only Cyril had some pictures in his thread: http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/honda-cbr500-member-rides/5458-my-black-cbr500r.html

but as of today, i can fix that, so here are some pictures of the Ermax Aeromax light smoke screen, i will add more pictures like detailed view at the fitment / gaps when it is installed, but for now at least the screen itself (and with finally visible mounting points):

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is indeed ... it came with a warning:
"
WARNING ABOUT SUN
- Since 1998, the plastics of new speedometers melt and get out of shape at 70°C instead of 200 °C ! It is imperative to protect your spee-dometers and optical unit when your motorbike is parked at sun or in front of a white wall. No guarantee / exchange / refund will be awarded in the event of a disaster.
- Ermax provide with Aeromax screens one dashboard protection, to place between the screen and the dashboard when motorbike is parked at sun.
"

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so, today i managed to change the screen ... yes it is as annoying as everyone says and i would like to meet the person who designed this solution, so i can thank him personally

all in all it wasn't that hard, but it's the little things ...

anyway, just some comparative pictures for now whit the stock screen, will post installed pictures tomorrow, when i clean the bike from all the fingerprints and sweat drops ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Thanks for posting these images. I've been looking at the ermax screen as an option for my bike for awhile. I'm still on the fence. I'm eagerly awaiting your post install photos and a ride report.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so ... got time to clean the bike a bit and take some pictures before i went for a bicycle ride

i will split the pictures into two posts, in this one i will post general look of the screen on the bike and in the next one i will post detailed view on the gaps between the screen and fairings

it needs to be said, that of course it doesn't fit like the original and i more or less knew what i should expect, from studying the pictures @Cyril posted in his thread, some gaps could have been reduced by me if i took a file to the screen and shaped the nose a bit and some gaps are just there, because the screen is a tiny bit narrower than the original, if i really wanted i could probably stretch it a bit and make it fit nicer, but it's not that bad that i would need to take immediate action, if it will be bothering me in the future, i can either use some black silicone to cover up the gaps nicely or take the whole thing down again and file down some parts ... all in all it is acceptable

anyway, general view:

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and now for the detailed gaps

here needs to be noted, that since these are focused detailed parts in reality it is not as noticeable when looking at the bike

note: top right looks so split because the screen is pushing on the inside part and it is pushing the inside from behind the screen

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for posting these images. I've been looking at the ermax screen as an option for my bike for awhile. I'm still on the fence. I'm eagerly awaiting your post install photos and a ride report.
yeah, i remember, that's one of the reasons i posted these pictures ... as for the ride report, i will probably go for a ride tomorrow (actually already today for 12 minutes), but i'm not expecting anything ground breaking,

i tested the double bubble effect before and it is basically what other people say about these type of screens

actually everyone can do the same test on their own, i just cut out a piece of cardboard and taped it to the original screen with a wide black electrical tape to create a sort of "double bubble" design, i spray painted it black before though and let it dry, so it doesn't stand out as much and went for a few short test rides, both highways and normal roads, of course this will have a slightly different design so it may be a bit different,

but what i found with the cardboard test, is that when doing 90 km/h i get significantly reduced wind on my head (the clipons may be helping too) and only slight wind to the shoulders (i'm 184 cm btw, so that's 6 feet) on the highway (130 km/h) almost all the wind is directed to the shoulders and some light pressure on the helmet, but on the highway i usually just tuck in on the tank and don't care

the best benefit and the reason i decided to go with this (i din't mind the wind that much with the original screen) is, that in my tests i got significantly less insects on my visor and after a bee managed to find its way around the collar on my leather jacket and under my shirt, i decided, that i actually want something like this, because with the screen the bee would be probably redirected somewhere else, she luckily didn't sting and i even managed to pull her out alive (if she wasn't run over by a car she may be still alive to date)

but if i find out something different i will share ...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so, went for a ride today, got to ride towns, twisty roads and also highways, i will write about each section (with speed limit) and compare it to the stock screen in short

my riding position is most likely different to most of the people here and i'm about 184 cm (that's 6 feet), so keep in mind that you may be more upright, in short: clipons as low as the cbr can handle, nobunaka rearsets bottom front position, sitting all the way back on the saddle

town (50km/h) - no real difference compared to the stock screen, maybe a little bit more wind on the neck area (before it was more chest area)

out of town (90km/h) - wind pushed more to the sides and up, regarding insects, didn't work as well as the test with the cardboard did (but i can't ride with a cardboard piece taped to the screen all the time), most likely because the cardboard had a bit steeper angle and was wider (all the way to the sides of the original screen), this screen has the "flat" spots on the sides which direct the air a bit up and probably don't allow it to be pushed all the way to the sides, when i got a bit lower it directed the insects away better ... in it's defense though , those were some heavy buggers ... (mountain area), all in all better than the stock, not as good as the piece of cardboard, the shape the givi touring screen has would probably worked better, but that's what you expect from a long touring screen, all in all - OK

highway (130km/h) - again, air pushed to the sides, significantly less pressure when riding upright, tucking on on the tank had an interesting effect, with the original screen there was basically no, or very little air movement behind the screen, with this there was a little bit of wind behind it ... i think i read in the description, that it may be intentional, to prevent the screen from fogging up from the inside, which would most likely work and you are not left entirely without air when tucking in, fuel consumption went a little bit down (most of the time i was riding tucked in, so i can comment only on that), with higher speeds there was basically no change compared to speed limit speeds

visibility - i have the light smoke version, had no problems with visibility in straight line, there are some distortions on the transition from the bubble to the flat part, but you don't ever really need to look through that, even though the screen is only about 1 cm longer, i noticed, that if i want to look over the screen when lying on the tank, i hat do lift my head a bit higher because of the different angle, so i will need to be a bit higher, when riding on the highway tucked in at night, with he original screen i had to look above it anyway, because at night there was the dashboard reflection, didn't tested this one at night yet, but i'm guessing it will be the same

so, that's probably all i can comment on, hope it will help you guys decide and someone will actually search for this topic and read it, instead of creating a new one with a question or asking in different ones, if you want to know anything additional, feel free to ask here

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Well done! Thanks for the in depth look at this screen. I still say it's the best looking option by far. I have two different lists of desired items for my 500R. I have a list of functionality mods and another list of cosmetic mods. Previously this screen was on my functionality list, but now I've moved it to my cosmetic list. I will buy this screen (in clear) after I scratch off the higher priority items from both. Thanks again for this.

Reactions: _Yamato
1 - 10 of 10 Posts