Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys this one should be easy. I passed the 1200 mark. I would like to take it to a professional to do the maintenance I want to make sure everything is fine since I'm new with motorcycles. how much have you paid? What do they do at 1200? if you live in northern VA can recomend a place to take it I would really appreciate that. thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I know you said you want to take it to a professional, but I would strongly encourage you to DIY. I would say that being new to motorcycling is the best reason to do your maintenance yourself. Download the service manual, get yourself some paddock stands, a metric socket and hex key set, a torque wrench and get intimate with your bike. You have a whole community here to support you through really simple things like first servicing and add ons to more intermediate things like comfort and performance mods and even complex things like fork servicing and valve adjustments. If you're passionate enough about motorcycling to buy a bike, then I'd say explore that passion. Plus you save money. I've personally saved more money servicing my 500 myself than I paid for it. The fact that you're asking how much your first service will cost tells me that your money is important to you. That said, mechanics generally charge $100-$150 per hour plus shop fees for any type of servicing. If they know you're new they'll probably tack on an extra $100 ignorance fee to your bill. If you decide to pay someone to do this, I'd expect a bill anywhere from $150 to $400. If you want to consider doing this yourself, here's a video to walk you through it:

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JCarrithers

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300A/2020 CB500F A
35 Posts
There are some really good vids on the tube for how to complete first service. It's not just an oil change (which is pretty straight forward, even if you have zero mechanical knowledge - just follow the manual step by step), but it's also nothing too major. I've always done my own service, and I'm by no means skilled any more than slightly above average.

Cost for all the part for my first service was 40 bucks give or take and about half an hour of work in the garage with very basic tools.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would actually recommend taking the bike on the first service to a Honda certified shop. Why? Because a new bike needs all kinds of adjustments and they know how to fix that inside out. Makes your bike run better long run. Then the other services is up to you.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I would actually recommend taking the bike on the first service to a Honda certified shop. Why? Because a new bike needs all kinds of adjustments and they know how to fix that inside out. Makes your bike run better long run. Then the other services is up to you.
They will only do what's on 3-3 of the service manual, but if it makes you feel better to go there then that's probably worth some of your money.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well in my case they went in and adjusted various parts in addition to what was in the manual. Maybe it depends per shop. Then again I rather have experts going through my bike as I don't want anything unexpected to happen exactly when taking past a truck on highway 5.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I was busy on the weekend, I did the first oil change at 500 but as some mention I'm concerned about those extra adjustments that I dont know and are not in the service manual but I'll look into the maintenance videos and see of they mention it. I'm familiar with cards but just started with motorcycles. thanks for the video. I'll check it out. I had on shot quote me $275 so far.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If you're doing your own oil changes, that's a pretty good start. At least you'll always have good oil in your motor.

Reactions: Siniestro
1 - 8 of 8 Posts