Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

112/520 chain too big or sprockets worn?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Tsquared 
#1 ·
bought a 2016 cb500f about a year ago with 1800 miles. The owner let the bike sit for a 3-4 years before I bought it.. now I'm up to almost 8000mi.
I had the chain skip and fall off on me a few weeks ago.. scary feeling but turned out to be ok.. slid the chain on and putted home.

Well the original chain was on the bike, and not looking good.. I had already maxed the tensionors to clean up slop.. so figured the chains bad..
I assumed this was due to the bike sitting, seals drying out on the chain.. so I figured my sprockets should be alright.. maybe?

Well I got my new shiny chain in and got it on the bike.. only problem I have is the 112 link 520 chain I bought from revzilla seems to long by atleast 3 -4 links..

Attached are pictures, but I have the 2 end links sitting on the rear sprocket, and the chain overlaps by 3 links...
Does sprocket wear create that big of a difference?
112 is the link length right? Like I shouldn't have to cut more links off the chain?
Added a picture of the front sprocket also.. first bike so not 100% sure what the tell tale signs are here.
Crankset Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Rim
Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

See less See more
#2 ·
A 112-link 520 chain is correct.

Are you sure that chain has the correct number of links (i.e. did you count them)? It looks like a 114 or 116 or something. maybe it was returned and incorrectly repackaged before being sold to you.

#3 ·
Didn't even think about it possibly being a repack. It came in a sealed sleeve with the Honda part # on it so I trusted it. Def gonna check it now.. if it's just a few lengths to long, I can always take a couple links out correct?
Iv got the chain breaker/riveter so shouldn't be an issue I think?

#4 ·
You'll have to slowly file one end of the pin, before using the breaker tool to gently push the pin out (note: the word "breaker" for the tool is over hyped!). I'd recommend that the front sprocket be "turn around" (or replace since it is relatively cheap).

Also, (too late now; next time) the Honda chain is not particularly a good choice (and i'm being nice); X-ring chains are better with less resistance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.