Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a 2016 cb500f about a year ago with 1800 miles. The owner let the bike sit for a 3-4 years before I bought it.. now I'm up to almost 8000mi.
I had the chain skip and fall off on me a few weeks ago.. scary feeling but turned out to be ok.. slid the chain on and putted home.

Well the original chain was on the bike, and not looking good.. I had already maxed the tensionors to clean up slop.. so figured the chains bad..
I assumed this was due to the bike sitting, seals drying out on the chain.. so I figured my sprockets should be alright.. maybe?

Well I got my new shiny chain in and got it on the bike.. only problem I have is the 112 link 520 chain I bought from revzilla seems to long by atleast 3 -4 links..

Attached are pictures, but I have the 2 end links sitting on the rear sprocket, and the chain overlaps by 3 links...
Does sprocket wear create that big of a difference?
112 is the link length right? Like I shouldn't have to cut more links off the chain?
Added a picture of the front sprocket also.. first bike so not 100% sure what the tell tale signs are here.
Crankset Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Rim
Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,263 Posts
A 112-link 520 chain is correct.

Are you sure that chain has the correct number of links (i.e. did you count them)? It looks like a 114 or 116 or something. maybe it was returned and incorrectly repackaged before being sold to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't even think about it possibly being a repack. It came in a sealed sleeve with the Honda part # on it so I trusted it. Def gonna check it now.. if it's just a few lengths to long, I can always take a couple links out correct?
Iv got the chain breaker/riveter so shouldn't be an issue I think?

·
Registered
2014 500R
403 Posts
You'll have to slowly file one end of the pin, before using the breaker tool to gently push the pin out (note: the word "breaker" for the tool is over hyped!). I'd recommend that the front sprocket be "turn around" (or replace since it is relatively cheap).

Also, (too late now; next time) the Honda chain is not particularly a good choice (and i'm being nice); X-ring chains are better with less resistance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I know.. was debating using my angle grinder but don't want the friction to heat the chain up to much..

So ya my new chain is def a few links to long. I laid it out next to my old chain.. yup, 2-3 links longer..

Wood Road surface Art Asphalt Floor

·
Registered
2021 Honda CBR500R
5 Posts
bought a 2016 cb500f about a year ago with 1800 miles. The owner let the bike sit for a 3-4 years before I bought it.. now I'm up to almost 8000mi.
I had the chain skip and fall off on me a few weeks ago.. scary feeling but turned out to be ok.. slid the chain on and putted home.

Well the original chain was on the bike, and not looking good.. I had already maxed the tensionors to clean up slop.. so figured the chains bad..
I assumed this was due to the bike sitting, seals drying out on the chain.. so I figured my sprockets should be alright.. maybe?

Well I got my new shiny chain in and got it on the bike.. only problem I have is the 112 link 520 chain I bought from revzilla seems to long by atleast 3 -4 links..

Attached are pictures, but I have the 2 end links sitting on the rear sprocket, and the chain overlaps by 3 links...
Does sprocket wear create that big of a difference?
112 is the link length right? Like I shouldn't have to cut more links off the chain?
Added a picture of the front sprocket also.. first bike so not 100% sure what the tell tale signs are here.
View attachment 73362 View attachment 73363 View attachment 73364
When you replace a chain you ALWAYS replace BOTH sprockets!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2016 has over 25k miles and I have replaced my chain 3 times and the sprockets are still good. I have not replaced them. If they don't look like the worn out examples in the owner's manual do not replace them.
Font Parallel Rectangle Elbow Circle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts