Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I totally agree we need to have people willing buy new stuff, but a warranty does guarantee trouble free riding. It just means you will not have to pay for the trouble. I have heard far more stories of people with new bikes having to have work done on them compared to people buying second-hand. And if you buy from a dealer they usually give you a warranty anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have heard far more stories of people with new bikes having to have work done on them compared to people buying second-hand.
Not just bikes, now I'm getting to the age where more friends and family buy new cars, I've been a little surprised how many of them have faults within the first couple of years, especially given how most of us have driven "**** boxes" for the last 10 years or so that never seemed to break lol. I guess it makes sense - there's so many parts and systems on a modern vehicle and it just takes one little manufacturing or quality control slip. Good thing they do have that warranty .. ... even though to make financial sense on most cars the engine and the transmission would have to be replaced under it to equal out the depreciation lol.

But man I'm glad I found this thread! my bike's getting to 20,000km's and I noticed that their resale value in my region seems to drop hard after 30, so being a daily commuter putting about 2k kms a month on, I was getting to the point of thinking 'should I stick with this bike and do the things I want to like suspension to make it mine long term, or sell it while it's still worth a bit and get something that high mileage doesn't hit quite so hard like a V-strom'. Really great to hear there's people putting serious miles on these bikes! I just had the cam chain tensioner crap out on mine so it's pretty reassuring!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Not just bikes, now I'm getting to the age where more friends and family buy new cars, I've been a little surprised how many of them have faults within the first couple of years, especially given how most of us have driven "**** boxes" for the last 10 years or so that never seemed to break lol. I guess it makes sense - there's so many parts and systems on a modern vehicle and it just takes one little manufacturing or quality control slip. Good thing they do have that warranty .. ... even though to make financial sense on most cars the engine and the transmission would have to be replaced under it to equal out the depreciation lol.

But man I'm glad I found this thread! my bike's getting to 20,000km's and I noticed that their resale value in my region seems to drop hard after 30, so being a daily commuter putting about 2k kms a month on, I was getting to the point of thinking 'should I stick with this bike and do the things I want to like suspension to make it mine long term, or sell it while it's still worth a bit and get something that high mileage doesn't hit quite so hard like a V-strom'. Really great to hear there's people putting serious miles on these bikes! I just had the cam chain tensioner crap out on mine so it's pretty reassuring!
I think 'old' cars are the way to go - my 2001 Nissan Sentra is paid for, insurance is cheap and its a pleasure to drive. Also I can fix the majority of issues myself. This is actually my first fuel injected car - prior to that all my cars had carburetors - the less electrics the better.

1593089884541.png

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This is what happens when you buy new vehicles:

Veering off my own topic - has anyone seen the below video/ article?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think 'old' cars are the way to go - my 2001 Nissan Sentra is paid for, insurance is cheap and its a pleasure to drive. Also I can fix the majority of issues myself. This is actually my first fuel injected car - prior to that all my cars had carburetors - the less electrics the better.
Don't worry, there's no load shedding for vehicles lol

I thought that 30k miles was getting up there for a motorcycle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Don't worry, there's no load shedding for vehicles lol

I thought that 30k miles was getting up there for a motorcycle.
Lol - I was referring to electronic component faults in modern cars being difficult to diagnose and expensive to replace...
Has news of South Africa's load shedding traveled as far as the USA?
We haven't had any load shedding for a while thanks to our draconian lock down regulations.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lol - I was referring to electronic component faults in modern cars being difficult to diagnose and expensive to replace...
Has news of South Africa's load shedding traveled as far as the USA?
We haven't had any load shedding for a while thanks to our draconian lock down regulations.
I hope you took it as a joke. That's how it was intended.
I fully agree they are harder to troubleshoot and it adds levels of complexity.

I've got family in several areas in SA, and I was there over Christmas/New years.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts