Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What possible mods is there to get a 060 of under 4 seconds? I don't really care about overall power.
Would changing 1 tooth in the front get me close to this?
The bike also has a termignoni full system I wouldn't mind buying a powercommander if it would actually help with this if and not just add a feeling of more power without increasing acceleration.
Does anyone have any experiences with this?

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,245 Posts
You may not care about power but it can't be ignored. Power is a measure of work done per unit time where work is defined roughly as putting energy into something resulting in its moving. If there's no movement, there's no work being done. Accelerating something from a stop is doing work; shortening the time it takes to achieve a given speed, e.g. 60mph, means increasing power.

With 47HP accelerating a 425-pound machine with a 180-pound rider (605-pounds total), you have a W/P ratio of 12.87lbs/hp. A new 301hp Toyota Camry has a P/W ratio of about 12.5lbs/hp and goes 0-60 in about the same time a CBR500 does -- 5.6-seconds.

A 2012 Audi RSTT manual will do 0-60 in 4.0-seconds. It has 360-hp and weighs 3492 (with same weight driver) at the curb. That car has a W/P ratio of 9.7. So you're going to be looking to get a W/P ratio in the ~9.5 range to account for the difficulty often associated with launching a motorcycle as hard as an AWD car can manage.

That'll mean having around 64HP, an increase of 16.7hp or 35.5% more than stock.

Changing sprockets won't change the power you're putting to the ground and those sorts of bolt-ons -- an exhaust and a PCV -- won't get you more than a couple of HP. You'll get more torque at the rear wheel by dropping a tooth in the front but it necessarily means the wheel RPM is reduced by the same percent the torque rises: So HP=rpm x torque/5252 comes out the same.

One other option is to reduce weight (i.e. mass). If you could get your 47HP bike down to 446lbs (with rider) you'd be in the 9.5lbs/hp range. That means dropping 159-lbs so that's probably not going to happen.

In short, getting a 500 to dash from 0-60 in 4-sec might be done with a combination of weight savings and a lot of money in the engine. If you did real mods -- head, compression, RPM & camshaft work -- to increase engine power to, say, 57 (10 over stock) and you reduced the bike's wet weight to 360lbs (a drop of 64lbs from stock) you might get there. But it would probably cheaper to trade the 500 for a CBR650R or similar.

·
Registered
485 Posts
What possible mods is there to get a 060 of under 4 seconds? I don't really care about overall power.
Would changing 1 tooth in the front get me close to this?
The bike also has a termignoni full system I wouldn't mind buying a powercommander if it would actually help with this if and not just add a feeling of more power without increasing acceleration.
Does anyone have any experiences with this?
How about a NOS kit. £1000 should do it.😉

1 - 5 of 5 Posts