CB500F Rear shock fitment question - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oyabun

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

CB500F Rear shock fitment question

Hi,

I have a 2017 CB500F, and between the hard-edged bump jolts and the rebound pogo seat I'm hoping to upgrade my bike's front and rear suspension. One thing I can't find mention of is whether there are any real suspension fitment differences over the years.

When I look at part numbers between say a 2015 CB500F and 2017 CB500F, the actual shocks are different part numbers, and the frame part numbers differ as well, but the rest (e.g. dog bone, triangle, swingarm, bolts, etc.) seem to be the same parts. Also, if I go to the Rally Raid site, they don't distinguish between model years (i.e. there's one choice: the Tractive RRP shock, with some spring rate options). On the other hand, when I look into say the Ohlins STX46 for the , the Revzilla site tells me "This product DOES NOT Fit your 2017 Honda CB500F" and checking their fitment tab shows only the 2013-2015 CB500 line.

Other than front fork travel, are there any real suspension fitment differences across the CB500 line over the years? Did something on the frame change that effects the rear shock? Or is it safe to assume that a rear shock that fits a 2013 CB500F is going to fit a 2017 CB500F as well?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:34 PM

All parts will fit 13-18 range. The 17 bikes had revised shock and fork damping, but all are interchangeable. In fact 19 fork internals can be retrofitted too - but the rear suspension has changed significantly on the 19 models.
DutchBoy17 likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
All parts will fit 13-18 range. The 17 bikes had revised shock and fork damping, but all are interchangeable. In fact 19 fork internals can be retrofitted too - but the rear suspension has changed significantly on the 19 models.
Thank you: that's exactly what I wanted to understand!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:48 PM

I have the impression that Ohlins primarily sells to racers. The STX46 is labeled a street shock, looks very nice, but I wonder what interval Ohlins suggests for rebuilding it?

A racer might rebuild their rear shock every year, street riders wouldn't want that burden.

2014 CB500F: GSXR600 rear shock, Traxxion fork emulators+springs, Kuryakyn Throttle Boss, IDEA Gear Indicator, Slipstreamer S-06 windscreen, SW-Motech handlebar risers, LED tail light, rubber tank side pads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page