2014 500r rear shock - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

2014 500r rear shock

Hello all I'm a new member and rider with this been my first bike. I've heard that I can change my rear shock with one from a GSXR 600 / 700 but I'm inquiring what year do I need.

Thanks for any assistance with this matter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:00 AM

EDIT: I reread your post.

As a new rider please don't change the shock for at least a year. (unless you weight much more than 200 lbs - then need stiffer springs). You simply will not have the experience to tune an adjustable shock. And if set incorrectly, the bike can behave badly. The stock suspension is actually quite reasonable.

----------------------------------

There are several threads on this forum that go into changing the rear shock in detail. You can search for them.

The short story is that you can fit a GSXR 600/750 shock in the 2013-2015 bikes that do NOT have ABS. I fitted one from a 2017 GSXR 600 to my 2014 500F. The GSXR 600 shock had same part number in 2011 as in 2016. at the time, I didn't have access to a 2017 list to check if same.

about $40 used on eBay in perfect condition (GSXR racers often replace the shock with a racing shock).
It requires cutting away some plastic under the battery area for clearance.
The 600 spring rate may be slightly softer than the 750 - I wanted the softest spring rate.

You can fit a shock from one specific Honda 600 model into both ABS and non-ABS 2013-2015 bikes. Search for this thread. This earlier Honda 600 is roughly 20 years old now, so you would need to have the shock rebuilt first. search Internet for the guy who does this shock rebuild. Might want to change the spring during rebuild if you are a heavy rider.

Good luck. If you change shocks, don't make my mistake. Back off the high speed compression damping adjustment before setting the low speed compression damping. Set high speed last.

Last edited by vt500; 03-25-2019 at 12:25 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your advice and help. I am a big guy 6'2 and 125kg and that the main reason for the upgrade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page