Front fork oil leak - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Front fork oil leak

Hi all, first post and couldn't find an existing post. I ride a 2014 500F black, with 103000 miles on the clock. I try to do all the work on my bikes that I can. Found my forks leaking so did an overhaul of both with new bushes, seals and oil and still leaking. Will replace seals again but has anyone had difficulty or ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:06 PM

Garage
I haven't heard of any problems with the forks.
Maybe you damaged a seal during installation or one of the pipes has a scratch on it ?

Are both forks still leaking after repair?

If so, then consider improper installation

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...00f/front-fork

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:12 PM

Agree w/extex, any nicks or small dents in the sliding part of the fork?

Hence why I take my forks/shock off the bike and to a suspension shop for maintenance. Normally 150 bucks for servicing forks plus parts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:42 PM
eds

Garage
Fork oil should be 15~20cm from top (no spring). Although, Honda factory filled 12cm from top (no spring) which is exactly 0.5L. Too much beyond that may force it out elsewhere ...
Side topic: you can also change to 2016 internals (damper & spring); while you're at it. They are surprisingly cheap.

Last edited by eds; 03-03-2019 at 05:50 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:28 PM

In this YouTube video on changing fork seals look at time= 18:30

the person mentions that nicks or corrosion pits on the outside of the fork tube might damage a new oil seal as you slide it on.

suggests slipping a piece of very thin plastic under the seal before sliding it down the fork tube, lubing with the grease that comes with the seals.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:18 AM

Location: I live in Hamilton Hill a suburb of Fremantle, the port for Perth Western Australia.
Had a Virago 250 that still leaked after I replaced the fork seals. Turns out I installed them upside down. Couldn’t quite believe it but true.

Last edited by Burridge; 03-06-2019 at 07:41 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:04 PM

103,000 miles until a seal leak - wow! My left fork seal started leaking at ~25,000 miles. Anyways, I replaced my fork seals with an SKF kit and here's my experience. I found a small scratch on the fork but very minor. I went ahead with the seal replacement. The new seal leaked as well (although a lot less and only a slight film on the fork) for around 1,000 miles. I kept wiping it down every so often to make sure that bugs or dirt doesn't get in. Surely enough the leak started to disappear and then the leak completely went away. I read on a Suzuki form that there is a "break-in" period and this turned out to be true in my case. I have since put another 1,000 miles and it looks good.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page