Upgrade front & rear suspension - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Upgrade front & rear suspension

Honda made a great bike in so many ways but I found the suspension was its worst quality. I had spent considerable time and money on fixing the problems and it totally transformed the bike. With the suspension changes it tracked perfectly through fast bumpy corners at high speed. The front end was much more stable and there was much reduced brake dive. Before making the changes I had considered getting a steering damper to control the front end wiggles but there was no need since the wheels seemed glued to the road. The new rear end easily absorbed both large and small bumps and there was no need to ride the footrests on rough stretches of road. The front and rear ends seem well balanced and another benefit was greatly increased comfort. It would be perfect for track use and gave an increased feeling of confidence.

I am changing to a Yamaha FJ-09 and I removed the upgraded components from the CBR. I would prefer to sell the suspension package complete but if nobody is interested I would split the parts. I have listed my price in Canadian dollars for all the items .
(shipping from Ontario Canada will be extra). If you have any questions please email me at [email protected]. I am certain that the components are in good condition but I will refund the cost for returned defects.

SHOWA REAR SHOCK from a Honda CBR600F4 with remote canister (Rebuilt Aug 2015). The shock was reconditioned re-valved and a new spring added by Jamie Daugherty of DRM Motorsports (DMr Performance Suspension). This is a top level shock with separate controls for compression damping, rebound damping and preload. The remote canister design means that it will fit the CBR500R equipped with ABS. The spring rate is the same (600lbs/inch) as the stock one on the CBR and is suitable for riders in the 150 to 180 lb weight range. The spring is easily changed for higher rider weights. I had two tries to get the configuration right and I had a longer canister hose added so I could get a perfect mount for the canister on the right side of the bike next to the rear brake fluid reservoir (see photo). A special bracket for canister attachment is included. Canadian $ 290.00

FORK SPRINGS & EMULATORS
A set of single rate FORK SPRINGS with a rate of 0.80 kg/mm plus spacers (Nov 2015). The spacers are sized for the regular fork caps. I am also including preload adjuster caps to fine tune the correct sag. Stiffer fork springs might be needed to accommodate a rider weight of more than 180lbs (springs are easily changed and cost about $80).
A pair of CARTRIDGE EMULATORS to completely alter the damping characteristics similar to a cartridge fork. The emulators are adjustable but were perfect as supplied. Adding emulators requires some modification of the fork damper tubes (Instructions supplied). For a full explanation of the role of emulators see this - Emulators-How They Work
Fork package (Springs & Emulators) Canadian $ 145.00

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05 Springs and Spacers 0point80kg per mm.jpg (353.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 04 Canister mount on right side of CBR500RA.jpg (259.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 01 SHOWA Shock reconditioned with 600lb per inch spring.jpg.jpg (119.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 07 Cartridge Emulators for Forks.jpg (154.7 KB, 63 views)

Current
Yamaha FJ--09 Cinelli Pro Estrada, Rocky Mountain Element 30, Honda Accord Sport
Some Previous
Honda CBR500RA, Honda CBR250RA, Honda V65 Magna 1100cc, Yamaha 750 Maxim, Lotus Europa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:08 PM

There's a YouTube video where a guy just put in thicker fork oil 20w or 30 w fork oil & added 20-40 more mm oil to make for a stiffer front suspension. For 2015 or early you could also add a adjustable front fork cap . Total cost just a little over $100.00. If you weren't going to do track days you could forget the adjustable fork caps, that's the major cost.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamco View Post
There's a YouTube video where a guy just put in thicker fork oil 20w or 30 w fork oil & added 20-40 more mm oil to make for a stiffer front suspension. For 2015 or early you could also add a adjustable front fork cap . Total cost just a little over $100.00. If you weren't going to do track days you could forget the adjustable fork caps, that's the major cost.
That's fine if there are no bumps. Emulators change the whole damping profile so high speed impacts are absorbed.
Jamco likes this.

Current
Yamaha FJ--09 Cinelli Pro Estrada, Rocky Mountain Element 30, Honda Accord Sport
Some Previous
Honda CBR500RA, Honda CBR250RA, Honda V65 Magna 1100cc, Yamaha 750 Maxim, Lotus Europa

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:09 PM

Garage
I am curious how did you determine which is the best front/rear shock as a replacement to stock ones? I have CBR '16 model, and admittedly don't know almost anything about mechanical parts, but I am also looking to replace stock suspension, and wondering which route to go.

'16 CBR500RA Matte Black
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiser View Post
I am curious how did you determine which is the best front/rear shock as a replacement to stock ones? I have CBR '16 model, and admittedly don't know almost anything about mechanical parts, but I am also looking to replace stock suspension, and wondering which route to go.
What do you do (or want to do) with your bike? That will be needed for folks to advise you.

John '14CB500XA (White), '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold, White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1st bike: a slightly used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:27 AM

Garage
I do everything. City riding, commuting, long distance riding.. This summer I plan to hit the track too.

'16 CBR500RA Matte Black
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You can buy new shocks configured to your weight and riding style but they are expensive. The popular option is to use a secondhand reconditioned high quality shock. The front is a little more tricky because the stock orifice damping is very crude. Cartridge emulators are a big upgrade for relatively little money but some modifications to the fork damper rods are needed.

I obtained all my parts from Jamie Daugherty at (DMr Performance Suspension). If you have little mechanical experience you would need the help of a motorcycle mechanic for installation. Your weight is important for spring selection for both front and rear but springs are easily changed. I had to work with Jamie to get a setup that suited the CBR500 best and I sent the shock back once for a longer canister hose for easy mounting (see picture in my post).

To learn more about suspension check out the internet. One good site is Racetech. Here is their excellent explanation (with pictures) of fork damping - Emulators-How They Work.

Also, check my first post for a good price on a full package that works for the CBR500. Springs would be good if you are in the 140-180 lb range.

Current
Some Previous

Last edited by carbonado; 04-15-2017 at 02:17 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Suspension components are sold.

Current
Some Previous
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 09:38 PM

Garage
The suspension on my 2016 F model feels ok to me, i'll leave it all alone.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 04:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Do a GIS search for: “Shock Swap Myth by Peter Kates GMD Computrack.”

ď
If at first you donít succeed, donít become a Paratrooper.Ē

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page