Upgrade front & rear suspension - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:44 PM

Ohlins offers their STX-46 shock absorber for the 2013-14 model CB-500F, but nothing for my 2017. Can anyone comment on this re interchangeability or whether there is a good replacement shock for the '17? I weigh only 135# and the OEM shock is pounding me to Jell-O. I did reduce the spring preload as much as possible. Still way too stiff and I'd really prefer a top shelf shock than meddle with the OEM unit. Thanks..

Ralph

"You don't stop riding because you got old...You got old because you stopped riding,"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 PM

Ralph

I weigh 140 lbs and have a 2014 C500F (non-ABS). The stock shock was not sophisticated but didn't pound me badly unless the pavement was really abrupt. Spring was well suited to my weight.

I did replace it with one from a 2017 GSXR600, much better. Paid about $40 on eBay. This shock only fits in non-ABS bikes, don't know about 2016-2018 model years.
Shock from GSXR before 2010 model year may raise the rear of our bike more than recent ones.

The first post in this thread describes replacing shock with a rebuilt, re-sprung shock from a Honda CBR600F4. Many people have done this. Very likely the person who does the rebuilds can say if it fits the '17.

I wonder if there is a problem with the stock shock on your bike? You could buy a take-off on eBay for a few dollars if you want to try another stock one.

If the rear of the bike was lowered, that affects spring and shock rates. Don't know how much.

2014 CB500F: GSXR600 rear shock, Traxxion fork emulators+springs, Kuryakyn Throttle Boss, IDEA Gear Indicator, Slipstreamer S-06 windscreen, SW-Motech handlebar risers, LED tail light, rubber tank side pads.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
I weigh only 135# and the OEM shock is pounding me to Jell-O. I did reduce the spring preload as much as possible.

Also try running lower rear tire pressures. Say 37 psi rear unless you carry a passenger and luggage all the time.

2014 CB500F: GSXR600 rear shock, Traxxion fork emulators+springs, Kuryakyn Throttle Boss, IDEA Gear Indicator, Slipstreamer S-06 windscreen, SW-Motech handlebar risers, LED tail light, rubber tank side pads.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:08 AM

I have an Ohlin's on my 2015 CB500F, I would call Ohlin's USA and ask them about your 2017, I bet it fits. There are also other companies making good shocks out there, maybe find a suspension shop near you and ask them what's available. I use GMD Computrack Atlanta.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page