Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Turn Signals Stopped Working

13K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Thrasherg 
#1 ·
So my bike just rolled 4000km over on the odometer and just as a present it decided to have the turn signals stop working.

I was on my way to work with it waiting at a traffic light with my left turn signal on. they were working fine all morning and never had a problem before. I was just looking around waiting for the light and when it turned green I took off and made the corner, when I went to go cancel the turn signal I noticed that the signal was not on anymore, but I was able to click the switch to cancel it.

So I played around with them and neither the left or right signal would work.

When I arrived at work I shut the bike off and let it sit for a few minutes and then tried them again. This time they worked, but they were flashing very very slow.

When I went to go leave they had completely stopped working again. So I called the dealer and they told me they had not run into this yet and to bring it in. so I dropped it off on Saturday and they will look at it throughout the week.

I don't think its the switch because when I turn the signals on the front bulb running light shuts off. so it appears to be getting the command for signals.

Probably just a flasher , I would have looked into it myself but being under warranty ill let the dealer take care of it.

This scares me, the bike is only 2 1/2 months old and already has an electrical issue, I asked them if the extended warranty would cover things like this and they were unsure. The brochure said it covers meters and wire harnesses . I think ill be buying the 5 year extended warranty. With this being the first model year for the bike its bound to have odd issues and I don't want to be stuck with a lemon. To many electrical things to go wrong. and for $760 for 5 years unlimited mileage it seems like good peace of mind.

Just thought id let you guys know of this problem so you can keep an eye out on yours. Ill let you know what was wrong when I find out.

See less See more
#6 ·
Sorry you can't turn any more. Hey...going straight isn't that bad.;)

The turn signals pis me off on this thing, anyway. Too hard to reach. It needs to be where the horn is. I hate turning left because it feels like I have to take a good part of my hand off the handlebar to hit the signal.

#9 ·
Ya this isn't a fuse because they were intermittently working and slowly. so that's why Im thinking a flasher, if the flasher is electronic in the display then it could be a bad display. Im curious to see what they find, hopefully they wont have it for more than this week.

#11 ·
Wire Harness Repair

Recently all four turn signals on my 2013 cbr500r stopped working and I thought it would be a simple fuse replacement yet I was wrong... I took my bike to the local Honda motorcycle dealership to see if they could fix the issue and I was informed that the wire harness needed to be replaced and it would be cost about $1000 for labor and parts. Obviously a turn signal repair for that much isn’t worth it considering that’s almost half of what I paid for the bike but I was wondering if that’s something I could fix myself or should I not even bother with it?

#12 · (Edited)
Recently all four turn signals on my 2013 cbr500r stopped working ...
I took my bike to the local Honda motorcycle dealership to see if they could fix the issue and I was informed that the wire harness needed to be replaced...
Car repair shops have a bad reputation when it comes to understanding electrical problems. Probably the same with most motorcycle shops. Saying you need a new wire harness sounds like ignorance to me.

The first suspect, after you check the fuse is OK but the emergency flasher is also not working, is the turn signal flasher relay. A Honda OEM replacement is cheap and you can easily install it yourself. See the service manual. The tool kit has a fuse puller.

If that doesn't fix it, take the bike to another shop (doesn't need to be a Honda dealer) and get their opinion.

Of course if someone installed aftermarket turn signals (or other electrical bits) and cut wires in the wire harness to do so, then the dealership may be saying they are not willing to deal with that mess.

#14 ·
if all 4 indicators do not work that really sounds like its the common positive supply that gets switched to the indicators that has an issue, either 12 volts is not getting to the flasher relay, or if it is, the switched 12 volts from the relay is not getting to the switch on the left handlebar. It can only be a single wire that has failed or the relay or a fuse. The dealer quoting $1000 either doesn't want the work or is a complete moron!! If you are anywhere near Dallas, Texas, I would be happy to look at it and fix it for you, I have the manuals and sufficient wire and knowledge to fix it. If you can't come to me, take it to another shop, this should not cost much in parts but might have a couple of hours labor to find the fault and fix it..

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.