Turn Signals Stopped Working - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Wire Harness Repair

Recently all four turn signals on my 2013 cbr500r stopped working and I thought it would be a simple fuse replacement yet I was wrong... I took my bike to the local Honda motorcycle dealership to see if they could fix the issue and I was informed that the wire harness needed to be replaced and it would be cost about $1000 for labor and parts. Obviously a turn signal repair for that much isn’t worth it considering that’s almost half of what I paid for the bike but I was wondering if that’s something I could fix myself or should I not even bother with it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idabrazen View Post
Recently all four turn signals on my 2013 cbr500r stopped working ...
I took my bike to the local Honda motorcycle dealership to see if they could fix the issue and I was informed that the wire harness needed to be replaced...
Car repair shops have a bad reputation when it comes to understanding electrical problems. Probably the same with most motorcycle shops. Saying you need a new wire harness sounds like ignorance to me.

The first suspect, after you check the fuse is OK but the emergency flasher is also not working, is the turn signal flasher relay. A Honda OEM replacement is cheap and you can easily install it yourself. See the service manual. The tool kit has a fuse puller.

If that doesn't fix it, take the bike to another shop (doesn't need to be a Honda dealer) and get their opinion.

Of course if someone installed aftermarket turn signals (or other electrical bits) and cut wires in the wire harness to do so, then the dealership may be saying they are not willing to deal with that mess.
bambams and airhead83 like this.

2014 CB500F: GSXR600 rear shock, Traxxion fork emulators+springs, Kuryakyn Throttle Boss, IDEA Gear Indicator, Slipstreamer S-06 windscreen, SW-Motech handlebar risers, LED tail light, rubber tank side pads.

Last edited by vt500; 07-19-2019 at 04:18 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idabrazen View Post
Recently all four turn signals on my 2013 cbr500r stopped working and I thought it would be a simple fuse replacement yet I was wrong... I took my bike to the local Honda motorcycle dealership to see if they could fix the issue and I was informed that the wire harness needed to be replaced and it would be cost about $1000 for labor and parts. Obviously a turn signal repair for that much isn’t worth it considering that’s almost half of what I paid for the bike but I was wondering if that’s something I could fix myself or should I not even bother with it?
That sounds very much like a “we don’t want the work” price. Take it somewhere else.
bambams likes this.

My worst fear about dying is my wife selling all my stuff for what I told her it cost...

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:15 PM

if all 4 indicators do not work that really sounds like its the common positive supply that gets switched to the indicators that has an issue, either 12 volts is not getting to the flasher relay, or if it is, the switched 12 volts from the relay is not getting to the switch on the left handlebar. It can only be a single wire that has failed or the relay or a fuse. The dealer quoting $1000 either doesn't want the work or is a complete moron!! If you are anywhere near Dallas, Texas, I would be happy to look at it and fix it for you, I have the manuals and sufficient wire and knowledge to fix it. If you can't come to me, take it to another shop, this should not cost much in parts but might have a couple of hours labor to find the fault and fix it..

Gary
bambams and airhead83 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page