Hello from a complete newbie :) - Australia - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By Pookie
  • 2 Post By OldRocker
  • 1 Post By motohonace
  • 1 Post By ExTex
  • 1 Post By airhead83
  • 1 Post By Blackfin
  • 2 Post By OldRocker
  • 1 Post By tothezenith

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Hello from a complete newbie :) - Australia

Hi everyone,

I have just bought my first ever bike (Honda CBR500RA (ABS)) yesterday.

I live in Australia. I am 52 years old (an old man now).

My step-son (22yrs) got his first bike last week (Kawasaki Ninja 300 (ABS)) and he thought it would be nice for us both to go riding...so I agreed It is a nice gesture for a son to suggest this with their step-dad

Anyway, so today I went and bought a bunch of gear (AU$1000+) on Helmet, Jacket, Pants, Gloves. I have work boots that be ok I think.

I haven't had the courage to ride my bike yet, quite nervous. I did the mandatory learners course a few weeks ago and it was fun. But it's in a controlled environment. My step-son thinks I am a chicken...LOL

So I am watching youtube clips on riding skills and hoping to overcome my fear of corners...which is weird because I have spent 30 years building and driving fast cars...hmmm

One thing I noticed is that my bike has solid mirrors that do not swivel inwards like my step-sons, and he has some mirror extenders that make his mirrors higher so he can see over his shoulders better. That would be good for me because I am quite tall.

Anyway, I am looking forward to chatting with other people here and getting out of my driveway soon

Cheers

Pookie (Australia)

airhead83 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:19 AM

Welcome to the madhouse Pookie.

Just start by riding round the block until you feel confident. Then a gentle trip around some country roads and don't try to be a boy racer out and about with your step son.

I have been riding motorbikes since I was 12 (over the fields) now over 70 and still enjoy riding bikes.
Also I have 12" high motorcycle boots that protect you ankles etc. Learn't the hard way when I got side swiped and damaged my ankle and nerves to my toes when only wearing shoes.
motohonace and airhead83 like this.

Last edited by OldRocker; 11-25-2019 at 09:23 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 11:36 AM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Welcome to the forum. As OldRocker said, start slow & take it easy. I have no idea what taking up the sport at 50+ would be like, but I imagine you will do fine if you read & watch instructional materials, there is plenty out there, & RELAX. At first cornering will seem odd compared to an auto, but after enough practice it will feel like poetry. Just take your time & don’t rush things. A more advanced training class might be in order as well at some point after you get comfortable with the basics. While work boots are better than shoes, proper motorcycle boots are best. It is a large initial investment, but a small price to pay in the long run. Cheers, mate.
Pookie likes this.

Ride like your life depends on it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 01:17 PM

Garage
Look for days & times of day when the traffic is absent in your neighborhood.
I find 10:00 AM to be good where I live. My wife started riding when she was 60, on a scooter.

Enjoy. You have a good bike for a learner.
Pookie likes this.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 03:48 PM

You have probably noticed, the reference of "old man" seems to attract us like-minded riders. Sort of like waking up in the morning and automatically enjoying a cup of coffee... while I'm checking the morning paper's obituaries to see if I have time for a second cup... before I'm forced to check into where ever I'm assigned. Ride Safe and Enjoy your new Bike.
Pookie likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 04:45 PM

Garage
1967 was a good year, from one 52yo to another.

In all seriousness, don't let yourself be cajoled by your step-son into doing things you may not be comfortable with nor ready for. Take things at your own pace. The ideas espoused above re riding around the block and when traffic is minimal are great.

Be careful if you go riding with him; don't be goaded into riding faster than your own comfortable pace, don't try to keep up nor race. 22yos aren't known for having great judgement and when they fall they bounce like toddlers; we old farts are far more conscious of our frailties mostly because we don't heal up as fast as we used to.

I think when you get some saddle time you'll relax a bit. Always wear all your gear and enjoy the ride.

Summer is close to starting "down under"; there are a lot of us in the Northern Hemisphere that are very envious as we store our machines for a long, cold winter.
Pookie likes this.

2014 Honda CBR500RA (sold)
2011 Yamaha FZS800 (sold)
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 12:19 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
1967 was a good year, from one 52yo to another.

In all seriousness, don't let yourself be cajoled by your step-son into doing things you may not be comfortable with nor ready for. Take things at your own pace. The ideas espoused above re riding around the block and when traffic is minimal are great.

Be careful if you go riding with him; don't be goaded into riding faster than your own comfortable pace, don't try to keep up nor race. 22yos aren't known for having great judgement and when they fall they bounce like toddlers; we old farts are far more conscious of our frailties mostly because we don't heal up as fast as we used to.

I think when you get some saddle time you'll relax a bit. Always wear all your gear and enjoy the ride.

Summer is close to starting "down under"; there are a lot of us in the Northern Hemisphere that are very envious as we store our machines for a long, cold winter.
Blackfin & Pookie
You are only 20 years behind me
airhead83 and Pookie like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
...One thing I noticed is that my bike has solid mirrors that do not swivel inwards like my step-sons, and he has some mirror extenders that make his mirrors higher so he can see over his shoulders better. That would be good for me because I am quite tall.
If they are stock mirrors they should be able to swivel inwards, might be a bit stiff, but definitely designed to rotate at the base on the R models.

Welcome to the forum, didn't see if you mentioned where in Oz you are, I'm in Brisbane 😉
Pookie likes this.

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your kind greetings and advice

I have checked my mirrors and they definitely do not swivel, they are bolted to a block that is bolted to the bike. No swivel possible

I haven't had much chance to ride since last week due to starting back to work. I did have a couple of short rides in my cul de sac which were ok, but when it came to turning at the end of my dead-end it was not fun I found myself almost running up the gutter a few times and slowing down to almost a stop while turning. I need LOTS more practice at turning.

I will try again over the weekend. I don't know why it is such an issue for me? I love anything dangerous, loud, fast, scary, etc.... but for some reason I have an issue with turning a bike :/

It's getting frustrating...

More practice, more practice ..... ok..

btw, I am in Wollongong NSW Australia. It has been extremely smoky here this week due to bush fires nearby.

Cheers

Pookie (Phil)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 11:17 AM

Garage
Turning at low speeds is difficult. Usually you can do one way (left or right) easier than the other way.

From a stop, be sure to go straight forward a bit before starting a turn.

My wife puts her feet down and "duck walks" when making a 180° turn even if there is traffic.
But she started riding in 2010.
... and it is a scooter.

Keep up the practice. and have a Merry Christmas

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page