• 2 Post By RalphG
  • 1 Post By motohonace
  • 1 Post By GLSRacer
  • 5 Post By Oyabun
  • 1 Post By OldRocker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Hello

What is the most hoursepower a 2014 cbr500r can actually get?

Been riding since 12 started on a moped that i found, tossed over the hill at our cottage in lake erie.

Grand pap taught me how to rebuild it. I rode it till it died again.. Ok the oil cap lesson. I still have all the motor parts. Pap died before we finished the second rebuild.

Im 47 now. I ride a 2015 cbr 500r.
(Tho the 19 cbr 1000rr got my heart)

i Love the handeling, gas and abs with the 500r.

The performance hangs with other riders in local traffic up to 90ish and then after 90...
Well say goodby to the rest of the pack if u see them again.

I agree that the bike has alot more behind it and will occasionally bring the front wheel up if manipulated and my pending mood on the clutch.

Its light weight and unbeable gas milage so id like to keep it as is.

Id like to kick ideas to buy a second motor.

Beef up the compression and over all hp

Maybe full rebuild with pistons and head work. But also gears in the trany

I like the idea that the cbr 600r parts fit in.

Im a hobbie engineer even tho i use autocad and design heavey structures working with engineers i also weld it together, so i do know only the basics.

Over all im looking to do a slow rebuild of secondary motor.

Max out it's horse power. If possible 120hp.

Change the gear ratio and sync the sprocet and chain ratio and ill be happy with 130 top speed but prefer the 0to60.

6 gear def needs upgraded.

What is the most hoursepower a 500r can actually get?

I may take up racing the 500r class if it works.

Thanks
Dennis

Thanks
Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

iDi got the bike free sp ill keep a $2500 limit. Is this doable?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 03:36 PM

Hi Dennis,

There are several threads on here about this topic. Search and you will find that it will in no way make it to the type of numbers you listed above. With the mods mentioned and a decent bit more than $2500 spent you will have about half of what you’re after. And don’t forget To upgrade the suspension. Mod the bike and enjoy it for what it is, which is what several of us here have done. If you need more power by a second bike for that.
motohonace and ADIOS600 like this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 05:35 PM

I have to agree with JC. Some of the 600 class rockets.. CBR600RR or Yam R6, etc., may come close to those numbers. But those are beasts of a different color than the CBR500R. Good Luck though.
ADIOS600 likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:24 PM

Garage
You can easily spend more trying to up the power of a smaller bike than it would cost to just buy a faster used bike. All the aftermarket parts in the world would probably not get you half way to the power of, say, an R6.

But sometimes that doesn't matter. I love tinkering and the old-school spirit of hot-rodding and would definitely follow a build of a turbo CBR500R. An IHI RHB31 with some custom piping, PC-V for fuel enrichment...
ADIOS600 likes this.

2014 Honda CBR500RA (sold)
2011 Yamaha FZS800 (sold)
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:51 PM

120 bhp from a 471cc engine? With apologies to Charles Dickens, that's Great Expectations and not likely (Impossible!) to realize.

Ralph
ADIOS600 and airhead83 like this.

"You don't stop riding because you got old...You got old because you stopped riding,"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Two bikes, as many others have stated, is probably a more practical choice than one bike with two engines. Forget the liter bike & go for a 600rr or something like that. My 2 cents.
airhead83 likes this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:01 AM

I agree with the others here, 120 HP is not possible with a 2500 USD budget. You should be able to get to 55-60 WHP, that's about the limit for this motor without going really crazy. I bet a turbo would get you close to 100 WHP but you're going to be way over $2500 at that point and routing a turbo would be a bit difficult on the CBR500R. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a turbo CBR500R...
airhead83 likes this.

2013 CBR500R - Black Widow Header, LeoVince Carbon Slip-on, iDEA Gear Indicator, RIDE IT adjustable shorty levers.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 11:23 AM

I believe I'm one of the members who have put the most effort into increasing performance of these bikes.

120 hp from a long stroke normally aspirated engine is not feasible and borderline possible only. Heck, getting real 120 rearwheel power from a 600RR is difficult, and that bike is built for power and revs to the moon.
Realistically the cost benefit ratio starts to diminish around 60 hp on this engine, but even then a used cbr600f, a street triple r, or a even a cbr650f will be way faster bike than this.
A complete rework with stronger conrods, custom lower comp pistons and a large (relative to the engine capacity) turbo could potentially deliver 120hp for a short period on the 500, but the bottom end or gearbox of this bike has not been designed to withstand that amount of power. I've seen a custom turbo build in Thailand ehat was pushing 70hp, but was already not really reliable.

We haven't got to know how much you've rode since the moped experience with Pap, but my assumption is not that much.
From a budget of around 2500 i'd spend 250 on good quality road tires which fare well in damp conditions if you're sill around lake erie (e.g. a road 5 Michelin or similar) put another amount into upgrading the suspension, spend the most on rider training and track days to learn how to ride safely and fast - and keep the rest to put into another, more powerful bike.

The CBR500 is a great learning machine what has a rounded package of usable power and moderately good handling. I can hang around guys with moderate riding knowledge on big bikes both on and off road with my moderately powered 500x, but I know where are the limits of these bikes. The 500r is a sweet package but it's not unique or the holy grail in anything. If you want that much more power, you gotta look elsewhere.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:10 AM

If you want a fast bike D then buy a cbr1000rr, no mods required but hope your hospital is biker friendly.
airhead83 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page