New member near Austin, TX - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Hello everyone!
I recently purchased a 2014 CB500F for my first bike. I'm completely new to riding but plan on commuting with my bike as soon as I feel comfortable on it.

I had a lesson from a friend on his 500X before even looking at a motorcycle and it felt so normal that I wanted to get something similar.

My plan is to just learn to ride better, mods will come later.

Cheers!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190816_195557_1566303880563.jpg (129.3 KB, 8 views)
bambams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:48 PM

Garage
Welcome.

You SHOULD take the motorcycle safety training as well as wear your safety gear.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/msb/map/

I think you will like the 500F. I got a center stand and a luggage rack, both very useful

Ride safely,
bambams likes this.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:09 PM

Welcome to the club, the 500 is a great choice for a first bike, they are very capable and can maintain sustained highway speeds..
Don't be too embarrassed to ask any questions, we all had to learn once..

Gary
bambams and airhead83 like this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:19 PM

And after years of riding.. still learning. Welcome to the community.
bambams likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTex View Post
Welcome.

You SHOULD take the motorcycle safety training as well as wear your safety gear.
So how does the motorcycle license thing works in the USA? Is there any mandatory training and/or exam?

--
In the long run, all fuel is exhausted.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:35 PM

Garage
Each state has its rules. Some require formal training and some don't.

Some states that require the training will pay for it and others make the rider pay.

Complicated and confusing, but not too bad if you just look at the state where you reside.
Some states treat the 3-wheel (trikes) vehicles differently than the 2-wheel vehicles.
Some state lump all of the together.... get a license on a 50cc scooter and be legal on V-8 engined trike !

This is called "states rights".

Ride safely
bambams and Farlopo like this.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:39 PM

Garage
As a rule, no, in the USA and Canada you are not required to do any formal training to get a motorcycle license. In Ontario, you can get a beginner's license just by writing a short paper exam. And boom, you can operate a motorcycle of any size on the roads. It was by pure chance that I learned that I should do safety training first. Otherwise, I'd probably be dead now. Believe me, the more we push the safety training the more lives we'll save.
airhead83 and Farlopo like this.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Each state has its rules. Some require formal training and some don't.

Some states that require the training will pay for it and others make the rider pay.
Amazing. Here in Spain despite having had my car driving license for more than ten years, I still had to do three official exams to get a "limited A2 motorbike" license, which still only allows for bikes up to 35 kW (47 HP). The exams were:
1) a written test about all things motorcycle (20 questions, and you can fail no more than two);
2) a riding test on a closed circuit, with two parts, A) to slowly sort through some cones very closely spaced among themselves and placed between two white lines which you cannot touch, without any time limit, you cannot set any foot on the floor; and B) to do a speed circuit going through some fast cones and doing a 180 degree turn and then making an emergency brake at the end, in less than 25 seconds.
3) a riding test in the open streets, while followed by a car with the examiner, wearing a helmet fitted with an intercom to receive instructions about which way to go, it lasts about 15 minutes and you have to nail every Stop and every pedestrian crossing and every red light and every yield, otherwise you are toast.

And then the examiners are not any private motorcycle instructors you can hire, but public servants unknown to you.

I was lucky and passed all three exams in the first try. I still had to pay about 550 Euros for the whole fiesta: to gain access to a private facility replicating the slow and fast circuits to train for those tests, and to do a mock riding test in the open streets with a private motorcycle instructor (useful because the private instructor here warns you about common pitfalls the examiner is going to try to make you fail), and to pay for the three official exam taxes. If you fail any of the three tests, you have to take the test again and pay again the taxes for the failed test (I think you are required to wait a minimum of 15 days if you have to retake any test, not sure as it wasn't my case).

And then, after two years holding the A2 license, I will be eligible to pass another riding exam with a bigger bike if I want to upgrade to a full A motorbike license. This will be about 300 Euros additionally, because it legally requires also sitting through 8 hours of in-situ lectures about motorbike safety by an approved private motorcycle instructor (no official test needed afterwards on that theory, thankfully).

Welcome to a nanny State!

Here you can see a famous Youtube video about practicing the slow and fast riding tests on closed circuit for the A2 license (warning: it's Spanish spoken):
airhead83 likes this.

--

Last edited by Farlopo; 08-22-2019 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Typos
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlopo View Post
Quote:
Welcome.

So how does the motorcycle license thing works in the USA? Is there any mandatory training and/or exam?
Many go years and years without ever having a motorcycle license. As long as they aren't riding stupidly, they likely will never get pulled over.

In Texas a motorcycle safety course is a class that covers and exempts you from the written and driving portion of the test at the licensing office. Mine is set for a few weeks out from now. In the mean time I'm riding around my neighborhood and practicing low speed manouvers in parking lots.

There's more rules if you don't have a valid driver's license or are under a certain age, but I don't have to worry about that, I've had a license for 10+ years now and 2 of those I had a commercial driver's license for transit busses.

The government agencies are slow and so poorly ran that requiring more would just be a nuisance to everyone involved(I already spent 4 hours in person waiting, just to change my address on my license and couldn't even renew it because I didn't have a copy of my birth certificate or passport with me). A regular license here means you can drive nearly any passenger vehicle or truck, 50hp or 2000+hp , restrictions come in for larger vehicles that are over 26k pounds or have air brakes, also depending on what you are transporting you will have separate tests for endorsements on your license. Ex, hazmat - passengers - flammable
airhead83 and Farlopo like this.

Last edited by Slevin; 08-22-2019 at 08:04 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin View Post
In Texas a motorcycle safety course is a class that covers and exempts you from the written and driving portion of the test at the licensing office.
Does the motorcycle safety course involve any kind of exam at the end? If yes, is it 100% privately held and done, or is some public servant involved in the testing? When you get the motorcycle license in Texas, is it called "A-type licence".

Somehow USA riders who travel overseas and ride bikes there must have a motorcycle license of some kind, I guess. Is that called "A-type motorcycle license" or some such in the USA?

--

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page