Finally Riding my CBR 500R - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By NotImpressedBro

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Finally Riding my CBR 500R

What's up fellow 500 riders, I'm stoked to find there is so much good support for CBR 500 riders. I've taken a lot from the forum advice already. Jumping up from a good old fashioned 125cc Vespa scooter, in true Italian style.

I ride in Northern Italy, and the roads are pretty nuts. Definitely getting my defensive riding skills sharpened with a quickness. This bike is perfect for making commuting fun, and shaving a considerable amount of time off my A-B trips.

First mods will be GPS mount; and new clutch and brake levers, currently in the mail. Also considering getting a new windscreen, since the wind on my helmet is pretty harsh unless I really tuck in.

I'm a pretty short rider, 5'3'' and 150lbs, but I don't really have any gripes about that except for taking what seems like forever to walk the bike backwards any distance. Open to anything you guys have to say about this bike going forward, and looking forward to sharing in the forums!

bambams and airhead83 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:46 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Ciao, The bike going forwards is certainly better than going backwards (which is what I have to do to park mine in it’s spot). No doubt it is a big positive change from the Vespa. The roads in Italy should be wonderful for this bike. There are so many small, secondary, road options. I live in a great place to ride & so do you. Enjoy. The thing I really envy is the trattorie options. It has been along time for me not being in Italy, but once off the main roads & autostrada I am sure not too much has changed

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Motohance, if anything has changed here on the roads, then it happened at least 20 yrs ago. Some of the worst road upkeeping I’ve ever seen in any country that i’ve been to. Score one for the forgiving stock suspension I guess, because I’m fine out there.

These TINY side-streets can be fun, and that’s when I’m grateful for the forgiving throttle.

Not sure if the drivers were the craziest you’ve seen before, but they’re only slightly better than those in India I’ve seen on YouTube. In Naples it’s worse, people don’t even have paint on the corners of their cars. But up here with one 5km trip, I can catch at least 3 driver moves that someone on moto madness would smash a rear view mirror for.

Sappers Lead the Way
2017 CBR 500RA

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 AM

To help with the problem of short legs and backing up, try backing in to any parking that is downhill. You can control your backing speed with the front brake and then not have to push backwards up hill when you leave.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:58 AM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Not, I have ridden & driven all over Italy. Yes Naples is special & so is Palermo not to mention Rome. The experience does wonders for your skill level & survival instincts. Sure the roads are often crap, they are in my area as well. Again it ups your skill set. I donít know where you are in the north, but you have the Alps & Dolomites to explore. The entire country outside of the Po Valley is hilly to mountainous. I cannot imagine a better, more diverse, place to ride & eat. I see you are coming back to the States, so get it while you can.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

McRider, this is valuable input. I've now started to back in to every parking spot I can, because I tend to be more up for it anyways after I'm all warmed up. Sidenote, I've found that my legs are so short that tank pads aren't even an option XD. My knees don't raise high enough! lol.

Motohonace, you're spot on about everything you just said. I'm right between Verona and Venice, so lake Garda and the mountains north will be my first long-ish ride plans. I think after that I'll try to get a ride up through Austria. So many options!

The food is stellar out here, and I married an Italian 4 years ago so I get the mother-in-law cooking that is on a whole other level. I'm from San Diego, we visit twice a year and the wife can't wait for In N Out and Chipotle every time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page