Been on a dual sport, now to a cbr500r - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By bambams
  • 2 Post By McRider
  • 1 Post By motohonace
  • 1 Post By blitz jr
  • 1 Post By may2nd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Been on a dual sport, now to a cbr500r

Hello forum, well I am 44 year old guy who has been riding a Crf 250l for a few years now. I started riding in 2004 when I moved to Ohio from San Diego. (No surfing in good ol Columbus hehe) Been through a handful of bikes, Honda xl185, Suzuki gladius, Suzuki m50, victory cross country, cbr250, Yamaha fz07, and now the Crf250l is my only ride.
I havenít been on a sport bike since the cbr 250 in 2010. Iíve been researching the cbr500r and the cbr650r. Iím kind of torn between the two. But the price on the 500 makes it more appealing. Has anyone had an opportunity to ride both bikes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 PM

Garage
I guess the site still hasn't been fixed... Just lost my post.

I test drove a CBR650F a few years ago. I GoPro'd it. (There is also a VFR800 in there...)

The gist is that the 500 is a cheap bike, and you get what you pay for. The 650 should hopefully have better suspension and be generally higher quality. It definitely sounds nicer. Neither bike is particularly comfortable. I found the extra girth between my thighs was comfortable, but on the short test drive I found it more uncomfortable than my 500 (but that could just be because I was used to riding my 500 and had bad posture). I suggest test riding before you buy. Everybody is different. You won't know what fits best without trying it, and buying it to try it is a pretty expensive way to try. If money is an issue then you can make a 500 work for you, as many of us have. Some even claim money not to be an issue, but they still prefer the 500. After 5 years riding one I'd say it's economical, but it lacks a lot of polish, comfort, and bite.
may2nd likes this.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:50 AM

I test rode both, but it was back in 2015, and I think the 650 has had some major changes since then. I actually went to the dealer planning on buying the 650, but wasn't too impressed. It seemed pretty heavy, I didn't like the 4 cylinder power band, and the footpegs were pretty far back. I then tested the cbr500r just because I had already signed the waiver and they had one available for a test ride. It immediately felt better and seemed to have adequate power, so I bought that instead of the 650. Sort of surprised the dealer salesman.
may2nd and motohonace like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:07 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Keep your dual sport & buy the 500!
may2nd likes this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:36 PM

Check if your dealer has any remaining Interceptors. There have been some great prices to move them. You might be able to pick up a deluxe for less than the 650. Test drive one on the expressway. I love mine.
may2nd likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I intend on riding both bikes to see which fits me best. I do intend on doing some weekend rides in the 400-500 mile range so the bike with the most comfortable feel in that category is going to go home with me. My dual sport has zero wind protection and at 250cc itís got a bit of vibration to deal with. It will be nice to ride a sporty tourer type of bike.
Btw motohonace, donít worry my dual sport is staying no matter which bike I add to the quiver
motohonace likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page