How To Change Front Brake Pads - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

How To Change Front Brake Pads

Some friendly advice on how to change the front brake pads on a 2013 CBR500R NON-ABS. After having my new Pilot Road 4 tires installed last weekend they mentioned my front brakes had seen better days.

1. Gather the supplies.
Brake pads
12mm socket ratchet
8mm socket ratchet
Tooth brush (optional)
Mild soapy water (optional)
Rubber gloves (optional)

2. Loosen the pin with the 8mm socket first. It's easier now. Next, with the 12mm socket remove the caliper assembly from the fork by unscrewing the two bolts and sliding it back off the rotor. Use the gloves throughout to keep the large amounts of brake dust off your hands. You'll see.

3. Have a box or something to set the caliper assembly on. You do not want to have it hanging off the bike unsupported which could weaken where the brake line attaches.

4. Remove the pin and then remove the old brake pads. Make sure the ring stopper is still on the end of the pin when you remove it and replace it. One of the springs presses down on the brake/pin side but not enough to make it difficult to remove the pin. Pull it out and compare the old brakes with the new. Mine have maybe 40% left.

4. Clean the pistons, springs and the general inside with the toothbrush and mild soapy water (Optional). You need to press the pistons back into their cylinders and it is better for them to be clean. Warning: Before you start pushing the pistons back in, you might want to watch the brake fluid level on the master cylinder. This is the square box on your right handle bar. By pushing the pistons in you are pushing brake fluid into this box and there is a possibility of it overflowing. Mine didn't. If this was a car I would use a new, clean turkey baster to suck some fluid up first and then after the new brakes were on I would place the fluid back in. I used my fingers to slowly press the pistons back in.

This is the front brake fluid level only. Not the rear brake fluid level.

5. Insert the new pads and place the pin back in. There must be a big enough gap between the two new pads so the rotor will fit between them. Place the caliper assembly back on the rotor and screw in the two 12mm bolts first. Tighten to 30 Nm (22 lb-ft). Next tighten the 8mm pin to 17 Nm (13 lb-ft). My rotor was still fine and after changing my oil and testing everything out the bike and brakes worked as expected. The instructions with the brakes said you should have your brake fluid checked every two years.

This whole process takes about 15 minutes.

Manual doesn't take the caliper off to replace the pads. Says to push the pistons in before removing the pads and just remove the pad pin and stopper ring to release the pads. Make sure the pad spring is in the right position, install the new pads making sure they are in the retainer properly, and re-install the pad pin using silicone grease on the stopper ring (replace ring it if it's not in good condition). Operate the brakes to seat pistons against the pad.

Recommendation is to install new mounting bolts if you take the caliper off - do not reuse the old bolts.
I did reuse my original bolts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg parts.jpg (218.7 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg loosen2.jpg (236.5 KB, 609 views)
File Type: jpg box.jpg (230.7 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg compare.jpg (193.8 KB, 601 views)
File Type: jpg clean2.jpg (184.6 KB, 616 views)
File Type: jpg fluid.jpg (165.1 KB, 585 views)

2013 CBR500R

Scorpion EXO-R2000
GoPro Hero3-Black
Tacos
YouTube
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AZChaos; 05-17-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 10:48 PM

Garage
Good write-up. Thanks.
At 40% left, you could have used them another year.
What pads did you buy (brand and type) ?

thanks,

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

I agree, I had enough for the end of the year at least. Oh well.

So the brake pads were a nightmare. I went to the local Honda Motorsports dealer on Monday. I said I needed new front brake pads and synthetic oil. The computer said they had pads but no, they couldn't find them in the store. So he orders me some. Now this store is well out of my way and the dude said I'm on his way home so he would drop them off or meet me near home. They only had 1 quart of synthetic oil which I didn't buy. So Friday rolls around and no word from the store (not surprised at this point). I go up there and my pads are in. He gives me these:

Happy I walk out of the store. I looked at my pads on bike pretty good the last weekend and these are not adding up. They were not big enough and as I'm driving away I decide to go back. I do some quick internet searches and with those type of pads you're supposed to order two sets. Which makes sense. I was pissed. If he had sold those to someone who had not replaced brakes before and they get put on a bike wrong he could kill someone maybe. I find the supervisor and explain this and that I just want the Honda OEM pads. He says he'll get them no worries. Sure enough he found them. Next time I'll order online. That wasted 4+ hours of my life for brake pads. I compared them with the old pads and they were an exact match with zero wear. Below is the bag they came in with the part number. I would think any Honda dealer would have them or can order them.

Did a quick amazon search of Honda Part 06455-MGS-D31 and found them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150515_124428.jpg (234.0 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4181.jpg (185.6 KB, 588 views)
bambams likes this.

2013 CBR500R

Scorpion EXO-R2000
GoPro Hero3-Black
Tacos
YouTube
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 01:56 AM

Brake pads from EBC listed in order--

Standard, Touring, Superbike
Fronts:
FA196, FA196V, FA196HH
Rears:
FA140, FA140V, FA140HH
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 09:16 AM

Garage
For some reason I am not seeing the photos (broken links) in the first post. I DO see the photos in the follow-up post by AZChaos.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat in Houston, Texas
2016 BMW R1200RS Granite Grey Premium | 2014 Honda CBR500RA - SOLD
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
For some reason I am not seeing the photos (broken links) in the first post. I DO see the photos in the follow-up post by AZChaos.
Thanks Wayne. I guess my browser cached the images. They should be there now.

2013 CBR500R

Scorpion EXO-R2000
GoPro Hero3-Black
Tacos
YouTube

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZChaos View Post
Thanks Wayne. I guess my browser cached the images. They should be there now.
Yes, I can see them now. Strange no other respondents mentioned this ...

Thanks for the great write up, BTW.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat in Houston, Texas
2016 BMW R1200RS Granite Grey Premium | 2014 Honda CBR500RA - SOLD
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 11:20 AM

Garage
Thanks again.
Much improved with the photos.

I usually buy on-line. Better to live with my mistakes than the local shops'
But sometimes, life is better buying locally.

Ride Safely.
icarusian likes this.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 08:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZChaos View Post
If you know the torque for the bolts let me know and I'll edit them in.
Looked up the torque values in the service manual:
Mounting bolts - 30 Nm (22 lb-ft)
Brake pad pin - 17 Nm (13 lb-ft)
Manual doesn't take the caliper off to replace the pads. Says to push the pistons in before removing the pads and just remove the pad pin and stopper ring to release the pads. Make sure the pad spring is in the right position, install the new pads making sure they are in the retainer properly, and re-install the pad pin using silicone grease on the stopper ring (replace ring it if it's not in good condition). Operate the brakes to seat pistons against the pad.

Recommendation is to install new mounting bolts if you take the caliper off - do not reuse the old bolts.

2014 Honda CB500F Pearl Himalayas White
Vizi-Tec SupaBrake II Tail Light Modulator Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator 12V Outlet
RAM Mount GPS Givi A1126 Airstar Screen Healtech GIpro DS Gear Position Indicator
Wheel Rim Tape SW-Motech Center Stand Corbin Leather Seating Mirror Extensions
Givi V35 Side and V40 Top Cases Smoked Clear Turn Signals Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn

(Updated July 2017)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Sweet! Thanks! I'll update with this information at the bottom. Thank you again.

2013 CBR500R

Scorpion EXO-R2000
GoPro Hero3-Black
Tacos
YouTube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page