Last Saturday afternoon I decided to change my front brake pads. Iíve done 50,000 km on the original pads.
Upon taking out the old ones, I could see they still had about 40% left on them. So decided to put them back in. Whole job took 5 minutes. I didnít bother cleaning the calliper.
Whilst tightening the calliper bolts, I didnít hear my torque wrench click. So I over tightened the bottom bolt. I thought something was wrong as the bolt was obviously going on too tight. So I loosened it. In doing so the bolt snapped at half its length.
I then tried to loosen the other bolt but my cheapo sockets started to round off the bolt head.
Went to hardware store and bought a $150 socket set and, it being a Saturday afternoon with no bike shops open, I bought an 8mm x 35 mm bolt to replace the broken one.
Back home the new sockets were great. Got the unbroken bolt off easy. However, the broken bolt wouldnít allow me to get the calliper off. I had to take the rotor off to allow enough wiggle room to get the calliper off.
Once off, there was just enough broken bolt to get pliers around it to slowly get the bolt out.
Then, putting the brake pads back in for some reason took 20 minutes. Then another 10 minutes to re-assemble everything.
The non standard bolt from the hardware store is 2mm longer than it should be, so I used it for the upper bolt so it wouldnít snag on anything.
Iíve ordered 2 new bolts and a new retaining pin from Honda which will take 3 days to arrive.
So from a 5 minute job it took 3 hours.
Then today I noticed fluid from the brake reservoir dripping. Iíve tightened everything up and cleaned up. No idea why that would happen. Will wait and see if still dripping.
Interestingly, my brakes feel like they have more bite. Also the brake lever has less play in it, as if it had thicker pads. But Iím using the old pads.
Pic of old vs new pads.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk