Lift kit? Something to increase lean angle - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lift kit? Something to increase lean angle

I'm still having issues with this bike being so low to the ground. I gained about 1.5" doing the GSXR 750 rear shock swap and putting on a proper size rear tire (PO had a smaller rear tire on it for some reason), but I'm still dragging peg pretty regularly. I took the bolts off the bottom of the pegs to get a little bit more lean before it drags but even with that I've got about a half inch of chicken strip left on the tire. Are these bikes just not designed to be able to lean that far or is something weird going on?

2017 CBR500R - 12k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 02:14 AM

If you are a heavier rider you can gain a small/modest amount more by going to a stiffer front spring matched to your weight.

Check your have the preload adjusted correctly for your weight on the GSXR shock. Might be sagging more than needed.

Consider that the chicken strip width depends on tire pressure. Many of us run less than the factory rear pressure which is for full load.

I believe the max lean topic has come up in other threads - you can check.

2014 CB500F: GSXR600 rear shock, Traxxion fork emulators+springs, Kuryakyn Throttle Boss, IDEA Gear Indicator, Slipstreamer S-06 windscreen, SW-Motech handlebar risers, LED tail light, rubber tank side pads.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 11:46 PM

Garage
Consider getting some proper rearsets to raise the pegs and move them back.

https://www.satoracing.com/rearsets_13CBR500R.htm

2014 Honda CBR500RA (sold)
2011 Yamaha FZS800 (sold)
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:53 PM

Garage
+1 on the rearsets swap. It won't feel quite right without clip-ons too. My current setup just had some eBay specials $140 rearsets and $40 for 1" raised clip-ons that I frankensteined the OEM inner weights into to subdue vibrations. Feels like a true sport bike with the more aggressive prone position, you will feel more confident leaning it over further, way beyond what stock config can do

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tothezenith; 01-15-2020 at 05:21 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool, thanks guys. I'll look into the ebay ones. I don't really want to spend $500 on a $2400 bike but $140 doesn't seem too bad.

2017 CBR500R - 12k miles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
These generic SATO knockoffs on eBay worth anything? https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Rearset....c100752.m1982

2017 CBR500R - 12k miles
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17-CBR500R View Post
These generic SATO knockoffs on eBay worth anything?
Yep those are the ones I got (black ones). The price I mentioned was in AUD, so yeah about that once converted to USD.

Install was pretty straight forward, only three thing that caught me out:
1) the brake light actuator spring. It IS actually the correct length, you just need to rotate the silver plate it attaches to at the top to find the correct angle.
2) Make sure to locktight every bolt.
3) From (2) I must've forgot to do the gear shift lever stub and it fell off somewhere near Timbucktoo. I improvised with a random bolt, a couple nuts, a piece of old fuel line, and some heatshrink... the bolt I used was slightly too long and scored the base plate.

One thing I will add, is that the pegs are solid fit like most aftermarket ones, i.e. they don't fold up with spring action like the stock ones. I anticipated this and order these pegs while I was at it.

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sweet, thanks man. I just sold some of my old networking equipment so I think I'll pick up one of these and a set of those pegs.

2017 CBR500R - 12k miles

Last edited by 17-CBR500R; 01-24-2020 at 10:32 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothezenith View Post
Yep those are the ones I got (black ones). The price I mentioned was in AUD, so yeah about that once converted to USD.

Install was pretty straight forward, only three thing that caught me out:
1) the brake light actuator spring. It IS actually the correct length, you just need to rotate the silver plate it attaches to at the top to find the correct angle.
2) Make sure to locktight every bolt.
3) From (2) I must've forgot to do the gear shift lever stub and it fell off somewhere near Timbucktoo. I improvised with a random bolt, a couple nuts, a piece of old fuel line, and some heatshrink... the bolt I used was slightly too long and scored the base plate.

One thing I will add, is that the pegs are solid fit like most aftermarket ones, i.e. they don't fold up with spring action like the stock ones. I anticipated this and order these pegs while I was at it.
no, we ordered these ones back then: https://nobunaka.com/product/cbr400r...table-rearsets but yeah, they look the same
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 03:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Yamato View Post
no, we ordered these ones back then: <<Nobunaka>> but yeah, they look the same
Yeah had those, converted my bike back to stock ergos when I was doing plenty of commuting and sold them and the clip-ons. Then months later had seller's remorse and wanted to go back but couldn't affort the Nobunaka's so bought the cheaper ebay ones. I do miss the GP shift of the nobunakas though

What makes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page