Rear shock adjustment, how to set back to OEM? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear shock adjustment, how to set back to OEM?

Hi guys, earlier this year I bought a 2017 CBR500R. It's my first street bike, just had dirt bikes before that. The bike was a repo with 7k miles on it. I've taken almost the entire bike apart at this point to go through it and resolve little issues where the previous owner that had no freaking clue what he was doing had messed up stuff. Me and Babbitts Online have become good buddies... anyway, both the front forks were set to different preloads. I was able to use calipers to get them both set to the same adjustment and then actually set them to the stiffness I wanted. My question is how to do something similar with the rear one. The manual says the index mark should line up with the left side of the lower shock mounting bolt. However, my index mark is lined up with the right side of the mounting bolt. I was hoping to increase the stiffness of the rear (it seems very sloppy to me and is easy to bottom out by just sortof bouncing up and down in the seat a bit). Those of you that have adjusted your rear suspension, do you know what position it may be in?

Also, I weigh about 225lb.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 04:23 PM

Hi,

You should look into a replacement shock. The stock shock wasn’t made for guys our size. I replaced mine with a GSXR750 shock and it helped tremendously. The GSXR shocks can be bought off eBay for $35-50 and are well worth it. Give the topic a quick sear CB and you’ll find a few write ups on it here.

John
17-CBR500R likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Interesting. Thanks for the reply, I did some reading after searching for GSXR swap info and that definitely sounds like the way to go. I swapped the rear suspension on my old '82 XR200 for one out of a newer bike to lift the rear end, so I feel pretty confident I can do it on this guy as well, hadn't really thought about just changing to a different shock though :P

Thanks a lot! Now that I've got the front end sorted the bike feels a ton better, but now the rear end being saggy really stands out haha.

2017 CBR500R - 12k miles

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 04:47 PM

The gixxer shock only fits non-ABS bikes.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 04:59 PM

Thanks for adding that Oyabun. I should have so as to not confuse anyone. 👍🏻
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, I saw that in another thread. I don't have ABS on mine (I don't even like ABS on a car much less a bike haha) so that shouldn't be an issue for me.

2017 CBR500R - 12k miles
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got a GSXR 750 rear shock on the way. Should be here by this weekend. After my riding yesterday my front tire is slick as a baby's bottom so I guess I'll take the bike down for a bit to swap that tire and do the suspension at the same time.

2017 CBR500R - 12k miles
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I replaced that front tire and then got busy with other projects and neglected the suspension for a bit. Over Thanksgiving I got the GSXR-750 shock installed. Trimming the battery tray area was a bit of a pain but other than that it was a pretty simple swap. The difference in the bike is HUGE afterwards. I can jump up and down on the pegs without it bottoming out. Before I could bottom it out with very little effort. My back tire is wore clap out (I did get the donut in the attachment in before it corded at least :P)so I didn't get to do much riding afterwards but I can already tell it's going to be a ton better. Thanks for the suggestion, JCarrithers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191117_153929.jpg (245.7 KB, 5 views)

2017 CBR500R - 12k miles
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 01:51 PM

👍🏻

Now you’ll want to upgrade the front forks. I used the Traxxion Dynamics kit in mine. Great kit for the $$.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 06:40 PM

Follow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page