Need help with battery - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jae14
  • 1 Post By davidinno

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Angry Need help with battery

I'm really confused here. I took the battery out to charge it and when i went to reinstall it, I noticed the positive wire matches up with the negative terminal. I'm 100% certain the battery was in this orientation as its the only way it fits to where the wire reaches. Can anyone explain why the negative and positive are backwards??

Secondly, I used to have a Scorpio alarm that I personally installed. I removed it and now I can't remember if the thing I'm holding in my hand is part of the alarm or just OEM wiring on the bike.

Help please, I'm so incredibly frustrated right now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2896.jpg (229.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2898.jpg (225.4 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae14 View Post
I'm really confused here. I took the battery out to charge it and when i went to reinstall it, I noticed the positive wire matches up with the negative terminal. I'm 100% certain the battery was in this orientation as its the only way it fits to where the wire reaches. Can anyone explain why the negative and positive are backwards??

Secondly, I used to have a Scorpio alarm that I personally installed. I removed it and now I can't remember if the thing I'm holding in my hand is part of the alarm or just OEM wiring on the bike.

Help please, I'm so incredibly frustrated right now.
If I'm seeing the battery cables properly, it looks like there's plenty of length for you to turn the battery around. This would properly align the terminals, and the cables would reach with no problem. I suspect that's the way the battery came out. If not, you have a different battery in the photo than came out.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
If I'm seeing the battery cables properly, it looks like there's plenty of length for you to turn the battery around. This would properly align the terminals, and the cables would reach with no problem. I suspect that's the way the battery came out. If not, you have a different battery in the photo than came out.
The negative cable is actually very short, just barely long enough to reach the terminal. So flipping the battery around would not allow the cable to reach. Besides that, i'm positive the battery was in the same orientation shown when i took it out. It's the only battery I own, so definitely the same battery that came out. Any other ideas? BTW, this is the 2015 model (CBR500R) just for reference sake. If there's anyone who can compare their own bike and tell me how theirs is I would greatly appreciate it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Ok I just figured it out. I must have been really tired last night. The battery has two options on orientation in the terminals, so when I flipped it over neg and pos align properly now. I guess i just needed a good night's rest. Silly me.
airhead83 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae14 View Post
Ok I just figured it out. I must have been really tired last night. The battery has two options on orientation in the terminals, so when I flipped it over neg and pos align properly now. I guess i just needed a good night's rest. Silly me.
Glad you got things taken care of. If it makes you feel any less "silly", I can tell you Exactly where the "Main 30amp Fuse" is on at least 2 of my previous bikes.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:39 PM

I made the same mistake when I changed batteries on my 2015 F. The new battery comes out of the box with an apparent "up" direction, and when you install it "upright" the terminals are reversed. After a trip back to the shop to ensure that I had the right replacement battery, I realized that you have to lay the battery on its side so the terminals are aligned. As Spock would observe, "2-dimensional thinking."
airhead83 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page