• 1 Post By NotImpressedBro
  • 1 Post By airhead83
  • 1 Post By NotImpressedBro
  • 1 Post By Oyabun
  • 1 Post By Thrasherg

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Question Euro Spec v. U.S. Spec

I've had my 2017 CBR500RA for about two weeks now, and I'm loving it. I am thinking about 1.5 years ahead, when I move from Italy to the States, and wondering if it'll be worth it to alter the bike for import. Have any of you had any experience with bringing this bike to the States, or know what I will have to change to make this possible? There's quite a few things I'd like to do to my little CBR before then; but if it's unpractical to meet regulations, I'll leave it stock and resell before moving. The company I work for will cover the shipping cost for me, so long as it meets EPA and DOT standards; just trying to learn what will have to change to meet these requirements.

airhead83 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 AM

Your biggest worry would be the proverbial "Gorillas in The Room". The exhaust and fuel/air systems. Anything more than a simple slip-on exhaust muffler that alters the exhaust system will go afoul of EPA requirements. Because, Along with these exhaust alterations, you would also need to modify the air-fuel mapping systems, to get the bike to run properly. Which will further add fuel to the fire of non-compliancy. Good Luck in your decision and enjoy the ride while you're there I the EU.
NotImpressedBro likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Right, I've read that emissions for the EPA is the big one, so altering the exhaust is something I'll probably stay away from. The bike can switch between MPH and KPH on the dash, and the headlights also adjust aim, so I'm not worried about these either. Additionally, I believe that the EURO standards of late are more stringent than U.S. as far as emissions go, so I'm hoping that I won't have to adjust any of that.

I can't really find any actual changes I'll need to make for import, but I'm hoping one of these guys on here might know some specifics. Does anyone actually know the difference between the U.S. spec and Euro Spec CBRs? Horror stories from friends who bought vehicles out here and were denied import, or had to spend 2k+ to meet U.S. specs have me spooked on this.
airhead83 likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:28 PM

I'd say change whatever you want, but keep the original parts and refit them before import. once you've done with the EPA import process you can decide if you want to still use them after you got it landed.
bambams likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

So crazy it just..might...work.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:41 PM
I have only gone the other way, shipping a USA bike to Europe, but in order to get it registered in Europe I had to change my headlights (the headlight had to have the European safety stamp on it, which USA lights don't) and it had to be restricted to 100hp (this was in France!!). So it might be the same thing coming the other way, you might need to change the headlamp to get one with a DOT approval stamp but other than that is should be easy going. I did bring my RG500 from Europe to the USA and register it here, I registered it as a home built, so it just needed a safety test and an official weight certificate and I then registered it. Was very easy!! I would not worry about getting it registered in the USA, but as suggested I would keep any stock parts that you remove and put them back on when you ship it to the USA, the closer to stock it looks, the easier it will be to register. You can then swap all the parts back off after it is registered.

Gary
NotImpressedBro likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Solid! I really appreciate you for sharing your experience Gary. Now I'm starting to get pretty confident about the whole situation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page