How many people have had problems after fitting aftermarket exhaust - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Location: I live in Hamilton Hill a suburb of Fremantle, the port for Perth Western Australia.
How many people have had problems after fitting aftermarket exhaust

I have had my CBR500RA for mainly commuting for 38000kms now and still have the standard exhaust. I have nearly bought an after market slip-on a number of times but always end up not getting one. I actually like a quiet bike. The only reason for me to get one is the safety factor of being heard by motorists. I have a riding jacket and helmet that make me look like a cop (yellow triumph jacket and white shark vision helmet). This works extremely well I find as long as I am seen. I ride in the wing mirrors of the traffic and always am moving through it. However as a car driver too I have had instances where I have been totally surprised to find a bike along side that I didn't know was there because I couldn't hear it and have other times when I have heard bikes and looked for them. So if it were to make my riding experience a safer one I would be willing to put up with the extra noise. However not if I were to loose performance and have issues with popping and backfiring on deceleration.
So I am asking for how many people have had issues with aftermarket exhausts and gone back to standard?
I have noticed that the majority of 2nd hand bikes for sale have aftermarket exhausts so maybe its not a big issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:14 AM
eds

Garage
Popping on deceleration occurs normally; nothing wrong with it, nor is it an issue or problem.
Earlier model OEM exhaust is 3 chamber, so the popping (that do occur) can't be heard.
Current model OEM exhaust is 2 chamber, producing a (rather nice) deceleration "burble" and the occasional "boof" (a muted pop).
If the popping sound is not the preference, then changing to the current model OEM exhaust may be the middle ground (and cheaper, for a used one). It is not a direct change over; some minor filing, spacer, long bolt, will be required.
Alternatively, a "quieter" aftermarket exhaust (e.g. Yoshimura R77) but they are too expensive new (IMO) relative to what the bike now worth.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Location: I live in Hamilton Hill a suburb of Fremantle, the port for Perth Western Australia.
Hi Eds, didn't think of a used current model. Doesn't sound like too much messing around to make it work from what you have described. Absolutely agree about the price of the R77. So an aftermarket one designed for a later model would be able to be made to fit just as easily I imagine. There is a musarri exhaust for the current model that I quite like the look of for $219. I am not keen on the look of the one from them for my 2014 model, as it's almost as bulky as what is on it at the moment.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 03:58 AM
eds

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burridge View Post
So an aftermarket one designed for a later model would be able to be made to fit just as easily I imagine.
On earlier models, the footpeg will be lower (12mm+) and out (35+mm), getting in the way. You may be need to change the footpeg as well and that may create other challenges.

It requires filing the footpeg (top and bottom) to lift it as high as possible (12mm higher).
Having done it before, i cannot not recommend it for aftermarket exhaust since each can be slightly different.

That said, if you are a DIYer and determined, ultimately it can be done.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 06:24 AM

Garage
I have a GPR Furore on my 2015 R. I like it. Had it on for about 28,000 km.

I have the baffle in as it is plenty loud enough.

Iím not an advocate of ďloud pipes save livesĒ as that is too simplistic. But, hearing is one of the key senses when it comes to motoring around and definitely if someone can hear you then thatís a positive.

In Asia Iíve often nearly been run over by electric scooters. You just canít hear them. The other day in Adelaide I nearly stepped out in front of an electric car. Sound is important.

Before I got my slip on, several times pedestrians nearly stepped out in front of me. Iíve not had that with the slip on. Itís loud enough to make ppl aware youíre there, but itís not ugly loud. And, the GPR is half the price of a Yoshi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods:
I took the stickers off when I was bored
Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters
Titanium short adjustable CNC brake / clutch levers
Phone mount with USB charger
MPR4 tyres
Custom registration plate
GPR Furore Nero exhaust
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input guys. The furore you have on your bike looks great hillscbr. Haven't seen them before.
I have ordered the Musarri Street Series GP Slip-on Exhaust. They have now put out a model for the 13-15 cbr500r and to me it is nice and discreet, small, black and seems to have good note. It's also cheap at $219 delivered.
My bike is a tricolour. I was going to get red but decided on the most visibility with the tri. Not sure how it will look with a black muffler but I think it will look ok.
I will update with a photo when I have fitted it.
Thanks again everyone.
hillscbr likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Actually I really like the look of your bike hillscbr! The loss of the stickers gives it a really minimalist look, very clean and simple. The rim stripes are a subtle nice addition. I have taken the sticker off mine that was under the screen because it was horribly faded and look like crap. it immediately looked better without it. I am tempted to take the rest off and probably will once they too fade. I didn't find it that easy to get off though and it was only a small one.
hillscbr likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:30 PM

Burr - Unless the sticker/decal is clear-coated, a heat gun is your friend. Just hot-to-the-touch, and the sticker/decal can often be simply peeled off. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new muffler. Rick
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

This is a link to the one that I have ordered to anyone who is interested

Honda CBR500R 2013-2015 - Musarri Street Series GP Slip-on Exhaust - Xtrem Performance
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 04:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpa View Post
Burr - Unless the sticker/decal is clear-coated, a heat gun is your friend. Just hot-to-the-touch, and the sticker/decal can often be simply peeled off. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new muffler. Rick

My bike is kept in the garage next to my home gym. Between sets, I just picked at the stickers and by the end of my work out had them off.

I use a hair dryer to remove rim tape. Lower heat than a heat gun and easy. Might work well on the stickers if picking at then does not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods:
I took the stickers off when I was bored
Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters
Titanium short adjustable CNC brake / clutch levers
Phone mount with USB charger
MPR4 tyres
Custom registration plate
GPR Furore Nero exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page