After 40,000 kms and some mods. - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

After 40,000 kms and some mods.

After all the miles and mods I've put on my 500R, I've decided that I don't need anything else. I've been saving for two years to buy either a CBR650F or ninja 1000 to replace my 500R. My recent additions of a 16T front sprocket and an aftermarket windscreen as well as better tires have transformed the 500R just enough to make it fully worthy of all the duties I need it for. I will use my savings to treat myself to something else. I already have a sports car and a sedan. Maybe I'll buy a truck. I dunno. I love my 500!

To be clear, I have no performance mods. The only mods needed transform this bike are:
16T front sprocket
Aftermarket windscreen
Double H brake pads
Better tires
Fork preload adjusters
Adjustable levers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Bumpa and motohonace like this.

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.

Last edited by chzeckmate; 05-30-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:24 AM

Garage
Iím feeling the same. Iíd like a street triple 765 but really canít justify it because the 500 does everything I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chzeckmate and Smaug like this.

Mods:
I took the stickers off when I was bored
Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters
Titanium short adjustable CNC brake / clutch levers
Phone mount with USB charger
MPR4 tyres
Custom registration plate
GPR Furore Nero exhaust
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:15 AM
I am too lazy to check, so is a 16T front sprocket larger or smaller than the stock sprocket? Just wondering if you geared it up or down? My daughter loves her CBR500R so always looking for cheap simple mods that make it better!! Recently fitted a cheap Chinese fork brace to the bike ($35) from eBay and she remarked than it seems to track better in corners when she hits bumps!! It could be in her head, but it's nice to know that $35 can make a positive noticeable difference!! She's only 18, but has been riding dirt bikes since she was 8 and is a quick rider in the dirt, still getting used to leaning the CBR on the road!! Used to point and squirting her CRF250 in the dirt!!

Gary

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasherg View Post
I am too lazy to check, so is a 16T front sprocket larger or smaller than the stock sprocket? Just wondering if you geared it up or down?
Gary
Stock is 15T. The new 16T sprocket makes the gears a little taller. Just enough to smooth out throttle response in 1st and 2nd and reduce buzz. Quite a bit less clutch work in traffic. That's what I needed most.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Smaug likes this.

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:51 AM

Thought i might sell my bike and go for the new crf450l until i found out the price and the maintenance schedule and cost.

1975 Honda Z50
1979 Honda XR80
1980 Kawasaki KX80
1987 Kaw KX125
1991 Honda CR250
1975 Kaw KH 250
1976 Kaw KH 500
2013 Honda CBR 500R
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chzeckmate View Post
After all the miles and mods I've put on my 500R, I've decided that I don't need anything else. I've been saving for two years to buy either a CBR650F or ninja 1000 to replace my 500R. My recent additions of a 16T front sprocket and an aftermarket windscreen as well as better tires have transformed the 500R just enough to make it fully worthy of all the duties I need it for. I will use my savings to treat myself to something else. I already have a sports car and a sedan. Maybe I'll buy a truck. I dunno. I love my 500!
Maybe replace the sedan with the truck, for the odd foul weather commuting, home improvement projects. Bonus is that you could throw the CBR500 in the truck drive in complete comfort to some place in the country with awesome motorcycle roads and get even more enjoyment out of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillscbr View Post
Iím feeling the same. Iíd like a street triple 765 but really canít justify it because the 500 does everything I need.
I know what you mean. It's just tempting, because the bigger bikes are quicker, right?

For my part, I'm happy with the performance and short range comfort now, but I do like sport touring. So after fitting the Puig windscreen I'm going to try a few long road trips this year and see how she goes. If it's comfortable enough, I'll keep it. If not, I'll probably go back to a Yamaha FJR some time in the next couple years.

FWIW, if I were going up to a 600 class 4 cylinder, I'd probably go with the Yamaha FZ6R. It's rated higher than the Honda CBR650. Only problem with the fours is the fuel economy. I'd be going from 70 mpg down to 45...
chzeckmate likes this.

-Jeremy
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+

Last edited by Smaug; 05-31-2018 at 12:07 PM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:25 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Glad to hear you made, in my opinion, a very rational decision. Sure the 500 is not some screaming performance monster. Far from it. However, for the vast majority of real world riding situations, it shines. All that & super fuel economy too. If my riding environment were different (more freeways) I would be tempted to to install the 16 tooth drive sprocket. With all the twisty little corkscrew hairpin turn narrow roads I end up on I often need first & second gear to be as low as they are in stock configuration.
No real suggestion as to buying a pick-up other than I have been very happy with my Toyota Tacoma access cab unit. Probably not manly enough for Texas. I always thought of the motorcycle as my sports car equlivant on the cheap. I was lucky that both parents always had exotic sports & muscle cars which they were silly enough to let me use when in High School. Fortunately that seemed to get it out of my system.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:01 PM

About $8000 for a new 2016 CB1000R gets me thinking hmmm.. but NAH! That bike will encourage more and probably too much interaction with faster traffic
chzeckmate likes this.

so many roads...
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:44 PM

Chzeck - I think it is a gift when your bike reaches the status of a favorite pair of old boots. They become good friends, do all you need to do, and you know you can count on them. Way to go. Rick
---------------------
>...fully worthy of all the duties I need it for...
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:32 AM

Garage
I'm not really in favor of fixing what isn't broken (or spending money I don't have) so I haven't done any mods to my bike yet. That said, it's simply naive or ignorant to say that the 500 is everything you need or want. I suppose it depends what you use it for.

I'm on the fence with regards to increasing the sprocket size. Keeping the revs down might be nice for long cruise comfort, but I'm not sure it's worth the performance penalty. The buzzing can get annoying or worrisome as my bike ages, but I also tend to seek that engine speed so a larger sprocket might just lead me to speed slower and risk speeding tickets my insurance cannot afford.

The performance is plentiful unless the rider is significantly overweight. I can imagine where a larger windscreen would be beneficial to better protect you from the forces at high speed. On the other hand, I can also imagine it impacts fuel economy and performance so it's a trade-off. I wonder if it's a bigger gain than loss, but sources are mixed.

My tires are well worn now so I'm certainly looking forward to a new set, but I probably won't go overboard on price. The stock set did a fine job for my needs.

I don't know what I'm missing from fork preload adjusters or adjustable levers. Adjustable levers might be nice, maybe, but the cheap ones seem like a safety hazard, and the not cheap ones seem a bit expensive. Before I had grip cushions I never would have even considered them.

What I find the 500 lacking is mostly comfort. At least, these days. Keep in mind I'm located in the middle of nowhere. There are very few "twisty" roads nearby, and ride options are predominantly city streets which are hazardous and boring, or highway riding with boring speed limits. A lot of the fun potential is from going on long adventures to far away lands. I'm not a young man anymore. I'm not an old man yet either, but I'm old enough to make noises when I move. I find that after about an hour of highway cruising I'm suffering. To alleviate that I bought an Airhawk cushion and some Grip Puppies. I haven't had a lot of opportunities to use them since last year's weather was pretty poor and I was busy with work, but so far the results seem positive. After an hour of highway cruising I wasn't in pain struggling to get to the turn around point. I was feeling good and wishing I had more time. I need to collect more data and experience to see if it's really transformative, but so far the results are positive.

The OP's mods sound pretty practical. I give him credit for that. I don't know how he managed 40,000 km in 2 years when I barely managed 13,000 in 4 (5). Maybe he's younger or just in better shape or has more free time to dedicate to this pleasure.

My experience says that "contentedness" fluctuates with bikes. And I've only ever owned this one. I go from wanting something bigger to being happy with what I have. Ultimately, there's no need to change bikes. That said, other bikes do things better. The main thing that the 500 does better than most of the competition is that it's cheap. That's part of it's downfall. It's cheap. There's a lot of better places to go if you can afford to do so. Of course, there's limited mileage talking. I have never owned another bike, and right now I have my eyes looking out for a used Gold Wing that I think I can afford to maintain.

The thing about changing bikes if you can't afford two at once is that it seems you have to sell the first one first, go without a bike for an uncertain time (all the while not touching the savings dedicated to motorcycles), until you find a bike that you can pay for and that meets your needs which depending on where you are can be challenge enough without considering the other factors. I envy anybody that is liberated enough to move from bike to bike willy-nilly just living in the moment and making the rest come.
Bumpa and Smaug like this.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
Joe Rocket Speedmaster 12.0, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bambams; 06-01-2018 at 03:35 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page