After 40,000 kms and some mods. - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 10:42 AM

Bam - Welcome to the club :-). Rick
-------------
> I'm not a young man anymore. I'm not an old man yet either,
> but I'm old enough to make noises when I move.

bambams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 11:35 AM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Bam, As far as tires go I am super happy with the Bridgestone Battleax 023s. Great bang for the buck & they handle great. A big improvement over the stock tires.
chzeckmate likes this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:04 PM

I replaced stock tires with Dunlop Roadsmart 2s. They are similar to stock and now on sale at chapmoto.com
chzeckmate likes this.

so many roads...

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

One other thing that I didn't mention is the headlights. I didn't mention it because I think the stock setup is passable, but my HID setup gives me a great deal more confidence at night. For those who ride at night for commuting or stress relief, I'd recommend improving your headlights.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
bambams likes this.

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:29 PM

I also fitted a pair of Cyclops LED headlight bulbs to my daughters CBR500R and the difference was substantial and required less power!! Whilst Cyclops are not cheap, I believe they are good quality and have fitted them to all my road bikes. A great investment for night riding and general safety (cars see you better in daylight due to the brighter lights!!).

Gary
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasherg View Post
I also fitted a pair of Cyclops LED headlight bulbs to my daughters CBR500R and the difference was substantial and required less power!! Whilst Cyclops are not cheap, I believe they are good quality and have fitted them to all my road bikes. A great investment for night riding and general safety (cars see you better in daylight due to the brighter lights!!).

Gary
I'd like to see a photo if you wouldn't mind. I'm fine with paying whatever you need to in order to achieve a safer experience. I chose HID because the value seems unbeatable. I did mine for around $20 and ordered two replacement bulbs, just in case, for $5 each. I've never seen an LED setup that does better than what I have.

Male, 44yrs, 180lbs, 5'9", '14 (RWB), 22k miles, Bridgestone BT023, Vortex V3 kit, Rotella T6, KN-204 filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Puig 6479W windscreen, clear signal lenses, Fork Preload caps, T-Rex spools, Radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, 300R Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, LED position light, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider, turn my own wrenches.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:42 PM

Bambams, a Goldwing sounds like a good bike for you.

It's kind of a catch-22 for you and me: we have a nice, light sporty bike, but it's too far to the good roads. Get something like a Goldwing, and you can go anywhere, but when you get to the roads, it's not nearly as agile.

The Goldwing is also good for Canada because the superior wind protection will extend your riding season.

I bet they're low maintenance, and if you get the service manual, you could probably do all the routine stuff yourself. I imagine the toughest thing would be removing wheels for tire changes. That and plastics; there are a lot of them.
bambams likes this.

-Jeremy
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
I'm happy with the performance and short range comfort now, but I do like sport touring. So after fitting the Puig windscreen I'm going to try a few long road trips this year and see how she goes.
I'm with you, but is seems like a waste - the bike is so capable, it just needs a touring windshield option. Seems so simple, but the racing bubble doesn't do much until you're tucked in, which I'm not doing for 200 miles. The fairing is great for trips, I just the windshield to be, too.

I thought about making one, but I've never seen a homemade windshield actually work out.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motohonace View Post
Bam, As far as tires go I am super happy with the Bridgestone Battleax 023s. Great bang for the buck & they handle great. A big improvement over the stock tires.
Doesn't Bridgestone/Firestone have a lot of recalls? :-X That's what I always associate the brand with.

BTW, who can tell me what the stock tires are on the 2013 R?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
Bambams, a Goldwing sounds like a good bike for you.
I'm also an associate member of GWRRA so most of the people I ride with have Goldwings. I'm basically on the hunt for a Goldwing, but I don't have much money to spend so it's hard to find one. The ones I can [almost] afford are at least 20 years old. I'd need to sell my bike first and get a great return on it to afford one, and then I'll have to hope that the maintenance doesn't kill me. They're awesome bikes for sure. I've seen that first hand from all the other chapter members' bikes. But maintenance is certainly a pain in the ass, probably worse than the 500. And servicing one would probably be even more as a result. Someday I hope to own one though.
Smaug likes this.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Stock in the US is Dunlop D222. Firestone's history is history. Bridgestone makes a great tire.

motohonace likes this.

Last edited by chzeckmate; 06-05-2018 at 04:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page