Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Here's my 2018 52hp Supersport Race build

13K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  MraRacer#934 
#1 ·
So this year I built a 500 Supersport legal race bike. Aside from my normal Production Cup Race Bike builds, I added:

Adreanani Fork Cartridges
Brembo RC 16x18 front brake master cylinder
Custom Aluminum front fairing stay
Custom Extra radiator
Motion Pro radiator catch bottle
Lightened rear subframe
Trail tech water temp gauge
Manual cam chain tensioner
CarbonSmith Race Pace Air Filter
Bazzaz ZFI TC QS (air fuel control, traction control, and quick shifter)
Supersport Motor - 52 hp - 38 ft lbs - stock cams
Supersport Transmission - 7° back cut

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#12 ·
The bike will get hot over the course of the race distance. Keeping it cooler longer just maintains your power so that you don't loose any towards the end of the race. It doesn't "ADD" power, it just protects it from being subtracted. We tested with and without it and we definitely see an advantage using it. The bike will run consistently between 175-185F at race pace forever with the extra radiator vs 200-215F without it. The bike makes much better power under 200F, it looses around 5-7% once it gets above 200F.

Reactions: Snade
#5 ·
Cool bike!

Well done.

Snade

#7 ·
Very impressive. From the dyno chart if we assume that the displayed alues are the wheel figures, thus the "before" measurement's 42 hp equals to the stock 35 kW, then the measured 52.29 is actually very close a whopping 60 hp at he crank. But what I like the most, that based on the dynos the bike has licked up significant amount of torque too.
Really nice. I'm sure with all the suspension and brake upgrades it should be a blast on the track.
I have a lot of questions regarding the motor build. In case you feel not to share some stuff in public, feel free fo answer in a PM.
I see that you had the head and potentially the cylinder top shaved quite a bit. How much gou have demoved, what is your calculated CR, and what AFRs are you running? Are you still using the stock head gasket and piston and running on pump gas? I see that you have not raised the rev limit too much - have you done any work on the crank or rotating assembly? Have you done any machining (port, polish etc) apart from the milling of the head? Anything done on the throttle body, velocity stacks or airbox? What exhaust are you using on the bike? What kind of ignition advance you running on?
Also the Brembo radial Master is adapted from a production bike, or bought it new?
Thanks in advance.

#8 ·
Thanks! Yes dyno numbers are measured at the wheel, and are corrected for altitutde @ 5200'.

We took .093 out of the motor between the head and the block combined (not going to share the specifics on each).

Squish is .019

Calculated CR is 14.0:1, AFR = 11.8 on 91 octane pump, stock 9100 rpm rev limit

Everything inside the motor is still stock: cams, gasgets, crank, pistons, rings, throttle botties, head ports, etc.

Cams are degreed to 105 ex and 105 in

Full Hindle Megaphone exhaust

No ignition timing change - yet.

The master is just a regular Brembo 16 x 18 master cylinder made for a single caliper

The only change to the airbox is that I am using a filter that replaces the entire airbox cap and allows for +50% more airflow into the motor

#17 ·
@MraRacer#934 glad to see you've got the bike up and going now; it's been a few months since I was on the forum last.
With bumping up that compression ratio, you must be itching to get some cams in there to fully release this engine's potential, as we know, the cams are a major limiting factor with this engine.
If you're handy with a rotary tool, there are some gains to be had with a port & polish of the throttle bodies along with match porting the exhaust outlets; doing the TBs was a bit of a time consuming task though, so it's understandable if not to go down that DIY path.
And with that higher CR you absolutely, most definitely should look at running a higher octane fuel in conjunction with altering the ignition timing. With an approx 14:1 CR I'm a little surprised you're not experiencing some knock running 91 octane.

#18 ·
This year we decided to build a supersport legal bike which doesn't allow any other modifications to the engine. As far as the ignition timing, we are still wating for the ECU Flash Tune capabilities to be released, until then we cannot change it.

Next year I will build a Superbike which will have everything possibly imaginable done to it. Including a slipper clutch, cams, head work, MR12, balanced crank, polished TB, custom ram air intake and airbox, etc.

#21 ·
Hey!

So I didn't end up racing at all this year. I ended up working for a MotoAmerica team developing parts for the FZ07-R in the new Twins Cup Class. Our team finished 2nd overall in the championship and my racing career took a back seat to that.

I am selling all of my race parts from this build, actually. Will be making a thread here shortly...

#22 ·
Thanks for getting back.
It's ambigious to hear the news - on one hand I'd kove to know how a properly setup cbr compares to some more competitive out of the factory bijes like the ninja 400, but on the other hand working for such a team and getring grwat results is a good achievement and precious learning experience.
Wish I'd be in the states, some of the parts you're listing are so yummy, that I'd buy them immediately, but shipping and customa are a killer to europe, so I have to pass on those.

#23 ·
BTW,

How did the carbon printing technology deliver during the year under race conditions? Are there any specific applications where it is specifically beneficial to apply it, or others where it was not that successful?

I guess you did not get around prototyping some velocity stacks for the CBR either. Right?

From parting out the 500, I guess that you're moving to the fz07 platform?

#25 ·
The carbon printing is a success! We are the first company in the world to have a FIM approved 3D Printed Carbon Fiber Brake lever guard as well as the only company in the world producing a ram air system for the FZ07-R, obviously also 3D printed carbon. I am working on several projects for the CBR500 that will be available in the future, however due to the slow process that 3D printing is, it will be a while until we have them available for sale to the public. Subframe, ram air box, and fairing stay are on that list of prototypes! I have a cad model of some velocity stacks, but never adjusted it to accommodate for radius change and taper. I am not going to be racing anything in the near future, but I will be developing parts for multiple platforms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.