Full Exhaust...worth it? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Talking Full Exhaust...worth it?

Hello fellow CBR riders, this is my FIRST POST!

I'm certain this question has been posed before, but I'd like to bring it back to life.

I have some $$$ that's burning a hole in my pocket, and wanted to get ya'll takes on whether or not a full exhaust is worth it.

Looking at the Yoshi or Akrapovic, but open to other suggestions. Anyone have dynos? I saw a FULL Yoshi dyno with 50.2HP (vs. 44 stock)

Any thoughts/considerations would be greatly appreciated.

-PC

2016 Honda CBR500R ABS - San Francisco, CA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 04:38 PM

About all you ever gain with a full exhaust change is a loss in weight......gain in horsepower without other mods is minimal. And the cost per pound of the lost weight is not worth it. You would be better off and it would be easier to lose a few pounds yourself.

Then there is the factor of increased noise, but I will not debate that as some think a noisy exhaust is cool.
motohonace likes this.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Garage
If you want more HP and have $1000 to add to the price of the Honda to buy and tune a full exhaust system,
you could have bought a Z650 or Ninja 650 and gotten the extra HP for about the same price.

Ride what you have, get some useful accessories (like a center stand) and enjoy.

Upgrade at a later date if you decided you need more HP.

If you just want a louder exhaust, then replace the muffler.

Happy New Year

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:09 PM

A full exhaust is worth it if you are going to add a PC-V or the like and tune the bike for it. On this bike I personally wouldn’t spend a fortune on the exhaust as many, myself included, have had good luck with the Ixil header and slip-on of choice.
If you really want to spend money on the bike, put it in the suspension. That has been the best money I have spent on this bike. It is a totally different machine once you get that sorted. It becomes almost telepathic in the turns. You think “lean” and with just the slightest input on the bars or pegs, it just goes where you want it without all the bounce and squirm.
iliodi likes this.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:31 PM
eds

Garage
Create a separate bank account (name it My Next Bike, etc.). Every time you get an itch (to spend), deposit the money straight away. You can still withdraw and spend it, but the act itself will most likely set you straight
motohonace likes this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:49 PM

Eds got some great advice here, as well as JC.
Depending on your goals, I'd probably go the way JC advised.
Spend some on suspension upgrades - does not have to be an expensive take, a couple springs, emulators, fresh oil and a gixxer 600 shock makes wonders. In case you want some more noise, buy an end can and deposit everything else for your next bike.
Especially if this is your first one.
Droman1972 and tothezenith like this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:54 PM

Garage
buy gear instead.

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:25 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
I see you are in the City. How is it possible to have $$$ burning a hole living there? Did you inherit grandma’s house? Regardless, good on you, but I recommend spending the spare change on: Your signaficant other or protective riding gear or a stellar vacation etc. I go with Ex-Tex on this one. Ride the sucker in stock configuration for awhile. You will find you can squeeze plenty of adrenal fun out of this bike once you get past 5000rpm.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:57 PM

On this bike, a slip-on is about the best mod you can make, as it transforms your exhaust note from that of a sewing machine into something rather nice. When I had this bike. my very first mod, made within a week of purchasing the bike new, was a Yoshi R77 slip-on. Best money I could've spent.

As for the full exhaust, as others have noted, your power gains will be minimal. But since you didn't buy this bike for power anyway, spend your money on other, more useful mods.

2014 CBR650F in Millennium Red

"You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:49 AM

Garage
To get back to the OP, I put the Yoshimura Full Race with R-77 Carbon, Power Commander V, and modified airbox on mine and have no regrets. It sounds way better without being overly loud and seems to rev much more quickly plus it just looks so much better and weighs much less. I didn't get it dyno'd since there was a map for the system on the DynoJet web site so I just installed that and it runs flawlessly. I had the bike already and have modified it the way I want it. Next up is suspension upgrade with a rebuilt CBR600F4 shock and fork preload adjusters and oil change. So it all comes down to personal choice. I have another bike (Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic) and will pick up a third bike (probably a big ADV bike) one of these days when I am ready but will keep this one because it is fun also. Different bikes for my moods!...Brian
CB4ME likes this.

2014 CB500FA: Puig Next Generation Screen, Puig Carbon Hugger, Shad SH48 Tail Trunk and mount with Brake light, Shad SH36 Saddlebags and mounts, Yoshimura Full Racing Exhaust with Carbon Fiber Can, Power Commander V, Uni Air Filter Air Box Vents, PAIR system and Carbon Can removed and blocked off, SW-Motech Frame Mount Crash Bars, Fenda Extenda, Grab On Grips, Adjustable Shorty Levers, Stainless Radiator guard, rebuilt DMR CBR600F4 shock, Fork Preload Adjusters, Fork Brace, Billet Farkles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in