CBR500R vs CBR650R - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motohonace View Post
I am going to be the wet blanket of rational thought here. You have owned the 500 for a year & enjoy it. It is your first “real bike”. Keep it & ride it for another year or two at least. You may not like the way it sounds, but so what. How a bike sounds would be the last thing I would concern myself with. The 500 is nimble, plenty quick enough if you push it & super economical to run. You are going to leave money on table using it as a trade in. I assume it is paid for. So, log more miles on the 500 & at some point in the future you will not wonder if something bigger is too much bike. FYI, I am in my late 60s, having survived my youth on motorcycles. I have owned in-line 750 4s, single, twin & triple 500s & a bunch of smaller bikes in my 60 years of riding. The CB500f I have had since 2016 & still love it. Sure a KTM 1290 Super Duke would be nice, but for the real world actual riding environment I am happy with the 500. Going the other direction, my current other ride is a Yamaha TW 200 dual sport which is a total blast too.
PS, I am old school. A slipper clutch only is needed if you down shift a bunch of gears & lock the rear wheel. Something experience would not let you do in the first place. ABS, OK I understand, but not my thing (sorry ExTex). Traction control is called knowing your limits & keeping the rubber on the ground.
Good points. On the safety stuff, I realize what they are all for and I’ve never had any issues with downshifting too early (or too many gears). Never really broke traction braking. And I’m not sure the 500 has enough power to need traction control (I suppose on a slippery road).

But I’ve been trying to read as much as I can for the past year, and all of the magazines and “pros” make it seem downright irresponsible to not have those things in this day and age.

Either way, I appreciate all of the perspectives and input. Gives me a lot to think about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Sounds like you just need an aftermarket exhaust and/or ear plugs.

I haven't ridden the 650 but it might be a step down in versatility. I have had bikes where my primary struggle has been to keep under the speed limit. The 500 is great for city commuting with 40-50kmph zones.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:38 PM

I was actually going to the dealer to buy a 650r but ended up getting the 500r after a test ride on both. the 500 was more comfortable (footpegs further forward and lower), had adequate power, and weighed less (also cost less). I was coming from a Ninja 650r.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
So, log more miles on the 500 & at some point in the future you will not wonder if something bigger is too much bike.
Wise words those are, Yoda would say.

--
In the long run, all fuel is exhausted.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I am going to be the wet blanket of rational thought here. You have owned the 500 for a year & enjoy it. It is your first “real bike”. Keep it & ride it for another year or two at least. You may not like the way it sounds, but so what. How a bike sounds would be the last thing I would concern myself with. The 500 is nimble, plenty quick enough if you push it & super economical to run. You are going to leave money on table using it as a trade in. I assume it is paid for. So, log more miles on the 500 & at some point in the future you will not wonder if something bigger is too much bike. FYI, I am in my late 60s, having survived my youth on motorcycles. I have owned in-line 750 4s, single, twin & triple 500s & a bunch of smaller bikes in my 60 years of riding. The CB500f I have had since 2016 & still love it. Sure a KTM 1290 Super Duke would be nice, but for the real world actual riding environment I am happy with the 500. Going the other direction, my current other ride is a Yamaha TW 200 dual sport which is a total blast too.
PS, I am old school. A slipper clutch only is needed if you down shift a bunch of gears & lock the rear wheel. Something experience would not let you do in the first place. ABS, OK I understand, but not my thing (sorry ExTex). Traction control is called knowing your limits & keeping the rubber on the ground.

Very good post,10/10.

Plasma1
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:10 PM

Garage
I won't be popular for saying this but I say follow your heart. Motorcycling is a passion, not a job. If you are irked by a characteristic of the bike you have now (e.g. the sound) and can wing the insurance for a CBR650R and are comfortable on it, I say go for it.

Of course only you can judge whether you'd get into trouble on one. I4 engines tend to have relatively soft bottom end power delivery so you should be easily able to "work" up to its power peak up at 11,000rpm without much fear. The 2019s make about 80hp at the wheel, plenty for the street but without pulling your arms out of their sockets or risking a throttle-on loop. And the 650R is a **** fine looking bike.

I was in the same boat as you back in 2014. I really loved my 500 but the sound just didn't resonate (pun not intended) with me. I ended up trading it toward a Yamaha FZ8S and enjoyed that immensely.

2014 Honda CBR500RA (sold)
2011 Yamaha FZS800 (sold)
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page