CBR500's vs-anything else youve ridden - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

CBR500's vs-anything else youve ridden

Im looking hard and serious at buying a new 500f bike, first streetbike but ive ridden dirtbikes for years,Im sure im not the only prospective new buyer concerned with the possibilty of buying an underpowered bike. For experienced riders, can you give some comparisons in the power and handling department as compared to bigger bikes, 650's, even 600's. Obviouseley the difference stands but what is your true opinion? Yes the bike can go 100, but what is it like compared to other sport/entry level bikes? Any moto-x riders out there feel that it may be essentially a de-tuned, reliabilified 450?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 AM
gem

I'll point out the most 600s tend to be inlines 4s and much faster that 650s which tend to be twins and less powerful. There are of course exceptions. My biggest bike was a 1700 and the slowest bike I have ever owned, my 600 was the fastest and my 865 was somewhere in between. I also had a 500 which I assume will be comparable to my new honda (which I am still to receive). My preference is for a twin of any size, they just "feel" nicer.

So gentlemen I conclude size isn't everything, it's what you do with it.
matwright4, Rowan, isaaco and 2 others like this.

GEM
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM
SAN

When I bought my 500R I had owned a Yamaha XT600 dual-sport for 10+ years. They accelerate about the same but, of course, the 500R handles much better on the road. The 500R is much easier to lean way over in a turn. My son has a CBR600RR. The 500R is much easier to ride than the CBR600. As my son puts it "The CBR600 WANTS to turn, you have to work to keep it going straight, on the 500R it's the opposite". As far as power between the two... My 500R: 60mph=3rd gear near redline. His CBR600 1st gear= 60mph, 2nd gear=90mph, 3rd gear=120mph(all at redline). I hope this helps!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to mcote
My first bike was a BMW650. Big single piston that vibrated way to much at 75 mph. I still liked it but it turned out to be a lemon that broke down so many times in the first 2 years that I traded it in before the the 3 year warranty finished. It had good torque at low RPM but like I said it vibrated too much.
My second bike was a CBR600F4i. In line 4. Much faster then the 500R. Very smooth engine. No torque at the low end. The lack of torque at low RPM was frustrating when riding the bike daily for my commute. If I was cruising at highway speed and wanted to pass while on my top gear I had to down shift at least 2 gears and sometimes 3. At high RPM above 8K minimum it was a ton of fun. I found the vibration would get to me for long fast rides like on the track day I did. I suspect the real problem was me putting to much weight on the front. It was my first super sport. It turned easily and weight almost the same as the 500R. I had this for a few years and put a lot of miles on it.
I then upgraded to a CBR954RR. 954CC inline 4 weighing about the same as my 500R (370 dry). I loved that bike. It felt like it had torque and power everywhere. I thought it was easy to turn. Just give it the right lean and let it do its job. Strong brakes. Really great bike. It was just too fast and powerful. I would get in trouble a bit too easily with it and with two kids I thought it was not reasonable. I dropped it at a low speed because of the great brakes on a surface that I just couldn't tell was slippery. I was not going fast but still did significant damage. Insurance went up and I was only driving it one week-end a month so I sold it. I should have kept that bike!
In comparison the 500R is not a bad compromise. I like the available torque even at lower RPM. Makes it really easy to drive. It turns easily. the seating position is better then the 600F4i and the 954RR. The fuel consumption is good. I think the brakes could be better but for my commute they are fine.
What would make it ideal for me is 25hp more, 20% more torque and high RPM readline coupled with slightly longer gearing. This way I would get a bit more power but also have more range on each gear to play. Might be able to get that with some future upgrades.
timp trail rider likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 AM

I just traded my 2011 klr 650 for a 500x. The klr is more dirt oriented, but since you've ridden dirt bikes, I thought this may help. The 500x has a noticeable bump in power, much easier to pass at freeway speeds, pulling grades etc. For a 500cc bike, it really is fun to ride and doesn't feel under powered in any way. Now if your wanting to loft the front wheel in 3rd, may want to look at a heavier girlfriend . . . . or if that's not an option, the cbr 500 may not be for you. I've owned dirt bikes and ridden Harley's for 25 years, my 500x is a different kind of power, but even compared to my Wide glide, I don't feel like it's underpowered, fact is, it's a riot! I got it two weeks ago, I've been building brackets for the soft bags and just installed the Honda rear carrier, my girlfriend and i are leaving Thursday for a 600 mile trip thru Wyoming and Idaho, I'll report back on two up, packed up touring on the 500x next week!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 01:37 PM

test drive everything you can to get your own idea.

the cb500x is my 8th bike and i test drove about 15 bikes before i got this one and traded in number 7. when you've tried a few different bikes out you will know what you're looking for and if this is the bike for you

'Gem' is right about I4's vs parrallel twns.

out of interest, what makes you lean towards the F instead of the R or X models?
i was planning to get an R but ended up with the x instead as it felt nicer for me to ride.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 12:45 AM

Last Monday I went bike shopping with a budget of up to 20k, for the right bike.
I want comfort above all and fun to ride.
I rode a vfr8oox a 650 versys an xtz660 and was on my way to looking for a BMW 800gs, when I spotted a black 500x demo at a dealership.
After a test ride I was hooked with the smoothness of the 500.
At first I was concerned that a 500 would be too slow to be fun, but it has heaps of power & torque, right where you want it.
I have a B.M.W. F650 gs and the Honda 500 feels about the same power/torque but soo smooth, the gears and engine are silky smooth.
I have had over 90 bikes in the last 41 years of riding, and I prefer the upright riding position for long days in the saddle.
The only thing I will change is the rear brake pads because I feel the rear brake is too week.
Apart from that I have ordered a centre stand, even the screen is fine for my 185cm frame, all I did was lean the top forward 10mm with some spacers.
The main reason I was bike shopping is my BMW 1150 RT is too hot to ride in the Aussie heat, due to no air to cool the rider down, so I was looking for a Summer bike.
I did my first 1,000km in the first week, and so far I am stoked.
The Honda won over the other bikes, for me because it ticks every box.
The suspension is smooth and it corners like it's on rails, I haven't hit the pegs on the ground yet, but have used all of the tread right to the side wall without any sign of sliding.
The other bikes ... KTM 1190 was too big, the vfr 800x foot pegs are rear set, and too high, the versys 650 vibrated and had stiff gear box, the xtz600 was too slow and vibrated, so the sub $9000. Honda won out.

CB500X + KTM 450 ecx + B.M.W. R1150RT + Peougeot Geopolis 250.

Last edited by Javelin; 10-31-2013 at 09:55 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 12:49 AM

$9000 Honda? you paid way too much mate.

Sold the cbr, bought a green KLX, must ... resist ... to ... paint ... it ... black!
Wrecked the KLX, bought several other bikes.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 AM

I paid $8300 for my R and I didn't negotiate on price.

Sold the cbr, bought a green KLX, must ... resist ... to ... paint ... it ... black!
Wrecked the KLX, bought several other bikes.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 02:38 PM

YOU GUYS PAID 8,000-9,000 WHAT?!

i paid 6,300 usd out the door in new york. 2013 500R non-abs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page