CBR500's vs-anything else youve ridden - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 11:33 AM

I just bought a brand new left over '14 CB500X for $5,500 usd out the door including taxes and dealer prep..Best buy I ever made on a motorcycle..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 08:39 AM

Got my brand new 2015 500R ABS in April for $7200 out the door. I think I over paid a bit but I really wanted the ABS model and I didn't have the cash so I had no choice but to finance.. I do love the bike though
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 12:06 AM

I have a 2016 CB500F, my thoughts are here: https://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/20...le-review.html

A few months ago I bought a 2016 Suzuki GSXR 750:

The two hardly compare, Gixxer cost twice as much at 10 grand and offers almost 3 times the power, but here are a few thoughts on the gixxer compared to the CB500F.

Chassis: Very stable. Turn in is light and easy. Holds a cornering line well. Changes line well. Super easy and eager to turn. Feels very light and small. Bars feel REALLY narrow and low by comparison.

Suspension: Best I have tried. Makes the Honda's feel really old and unsophisticated by comparison. Sucks up square edges or fast hits well (the Hondas real shortcoming), and always feels connected.

Engine: Lovely blend of low and mid, takes off like an scalded ape up top. Wheel wants to come up nearing redline at about 100 MPH (100 indicated) even when tucked in down behind the fairing. Feels pretty smooth except at about 5,000 RPM. Honda is super smooth by comparison. Fueling is good, not perfect coming off decel on a closed throttle, but not bad.

Transmission: Best transmission I have ever shifted. As soon as I push on lever the shift is over. Feels more like toeing an electric switch. Even easy to put in neutral at a stop, as well as down shift multiple gears successively while rolling slowly to a stop. Ratios are great. Happily runs around at 60 MPH in 5th gear reasonably smooth. 6th at that slow of a speed results in a bit of engine vibration.

Ergonomics: Outstanding compromise for a sport bike. Way more comfortable than I remember my R6 being, and than I expected it to be. U-turns and parking lots are challenging due to limited lock to lock. Even at 51 years old, I can ride for 2-3 hours without undue comfort, which is about all I can do on ANY bike. Somehow Suzuki managed to design the bike so that abdominals seem to come more into play while riding, and that then resulting in less weight and fatigue on the arms than some other sport bikes.

The Honda has a more comfortable seat, but the gixxer is really good too. Mirrors should be out wider, mostly elbows in them. Clutch pull is easy and has good feel. The adjustable pegs are on their factory / highest setting. I got used to them up high, and now like them there. The faster you ride the better the bike and ergonomics feel. It is obvious as speeds go up that this is at its heart a race bike, and that at speed is where the bike spent much of its time during design and refinement. The tank shape is really useful when moving around on the bike. The wind protection is surprisingly good, both for the body and the hands. The only part of me that gets a lot of cold wind are my upper arms. I love the progressively illuminating shift light set up. The engine is so smooth up top and revs so freely, the shift light is really useful as it is hard to gauge engine RPM by vibration or ear at such high RPM like I would do on most other bikes.

Brakes (not ABS): Front brake is good, but oddly the Honda has better bite and feel, and requires less lever movement. Rear is good. Doesn't require too much lever movement, and requires a fair bit of pressure before getting yourself in trouble.

Tires: Seem pretty good so far.

Chain: Stretched a fair bit initially right after break in when I really started getting on it. Seems to have stabilized.

Misc: Whole bike has quality look and feel to it. With the speeds the bike is capable of, and the power it puts out, combined with the wet, mossy, cold, and dirty roads I ride, I do wish it had electronic rider aids like an R1, as well as ABS. I never wanted those on the CB, but they would definitely be welcome on the 750 with almost triple the power. Speedo is quite optimistic, while the CB seems right on compared to my car. Sounds pretty good stock at idle and when riding hard, the jury is still out on the "angry goose" thing when rolling on the throttle at lower RPM... sounds pretty cool but gets kind of annoying too. Love the gear indicator, really the whole dash layout is sweet. The headlight is the best I have experienced on a motorcycle. It is not LED, but more effective than the CB light.
Jb44 likes this.

Last edited by Welder; 12-17-2017 at 12:35 AM.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:17 AM

*bump*

Great write-up. Yes, Suzuki gearboxes deserve their reputation.

Now that you've had this a while, are you thinking of selling the CB500F? Maybe swap it for an adventure bike, which seems like it might be a good choice for the Pacific northwest...

It's good to hear that they managed to make that hardcore sportbike reasonably comfortable for real-world riding. They SHOULD, since there don't seem to be any racing classes for 750s these days.

-Jeremy
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welder View Post
I have a 2016 CB500F, my thoughts are here: https://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/20...le-review.html

A few months ago I bought a 2016 Suzuki GSXR 750:

The two hardly compare, Gixxer cost twice as much at 10 grand and offers almost 3 times the power, but here are a few thoughts on the gixxer compared to the CB500F.

Chassis: Very stable. Turn in is light and easy. Holds a cornering line well. Changes line well. Super easy and eager to turn. Feels very light and small. Bars feel REALLY narrow and low by comparison.

Suspension: Best I have tried. Makes the Honda's feel really old and unsophisticated by comparison. Sucks up square edges or fast hits well (the Hondas real shortcoming), and always feels connected.

Engine: Lovely blend of low and mid, takes off like an scalded ape up top. Wheel wants to come up nearing redline at about 100 MPH (100 indicated) even when tucked in down behind the fairing. Feels pretty smooth except at about 5,000 RPM. Honda is super smooth by comparison. Fueling is good, not perfect coming off decel on a closed throttle, but not bad.

Transmission: Best transmission I have ever shifted. As soon as I push on lever the shift is over. Feels more like toeing an electric switch. Even easy to put in neutral at a stop, as well as down shift multiple gears successively while rolling slowly to a stop. Ratios are great. Happily runs around at 60 MPH in 5th gear reasonably smooth. 6th at that slow of a speed results in a bit of engine vibration.

Ergonomics: Outstanding compromise for a sport bike. Way more comfortable than I remember my R6 being, and than I expected it to be. U-turns and parking lots are challenging due to limited lock to lock. Even at 51 years old, I can ride for 2-3 hours without undue comfort, which is about all I can do on ANY bike. Somehow Suzuki managed to design the bike so that abdominals seem to come more into play while riding, and that then resulting in less weight and fatigue on the arms than some other sport bikes.

The Honda has a more comfortable seat, but the gixxer is really good too. Mirrors should be out wider, mostly elbows in them. Clutch pull is easy and has good feel. The adjustable pegs are on their factory / highest setting. I got used to them up high, and now like them there. The faster you ride the better the bike and ergonomics feel. It is obvious as speeds go up that this is at its heart a race bike, and that at speed is where the bike spent much of its time during design and refinement. The tank shape is really useful when moving around on the bike. The wind protection is surprisingly good, both for the body and the hands. The only part of me that gets a lot of cold wind are my upper arms. I love the progressively illuminating shift light set up. The engine is so smooth up top and revs so freely, the shift light is really useful as it is hard to gauge engine RPM by vibration or ear at such high RPM like I would do on most other bikes.

Brakes (not ABS): Front brake is good, but oddly the Honda has better bite and feel, and requires less lever movement. Rear is good. Doesn't require too much lever movement, and requires a fair bit of pressure before getting yourself in trouble.

Tires: Seem pretty good so far.

Chain: Stretched a fair bit initially right after break in when I really started getting on it. Seems to have stabilized.

Misc: Whole bike has quality look and feel to it. With the speeds the bike is capable of, and the power it puts out, combined with the wet, mossy, cold, and dirty roads I ride, I do wish it had electronic rider aids like an R1, as well as ABS. I never wanted those on the CB, but they would definitely be welcome on the 750 with almost triple the power. Speedo is quite optimistic, while the CB seems right on compared to my car. Sounds pretty good stock at idle and when riding hard, the jury is still out on the "angry goose" thing when rolling on the throttle at lower RPM... sounds pretty cool but gets kind of annoying too. Love the gear indicator, really the whole dash layout is sweet. The headlight is the best I have experienced on a motorcycle. It is not LED, but more effective than the CB light.

Any update on the GSXR? Iím nearly thinking about maybe probably getting a 750.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods:
I took the stickers off when I was bored
Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters
Titanium short adjustable CNC brake / clutch levers
Phone mount with USB charger
MPR4 tyres
Custom registration plate
GPR Furore Nero exhaust
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:39 AM

I liked the CBR500R for the smooth engine. Decent HP and torque. The power and torque at 1st gear is pathetic compared to 650cc class bike like MT-07, ninja 650 and SV650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in