Dual sport tires on CB500F?? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By motohonace

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Dual sport tires on CB500F??

I’ll be picking up my first motorcycle ever tomorrow (I’m 36, be gentle lol).

I got a great deal on a barely ridden CB500F. Looking at this gem I can’t help but see a smaller adventure bike waiting to come out! I know the make an “x”, but, could a fellow get a separate set of rims for for knobbies, and switch them up when he wants to run some backroads??

Anyone done this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:45 PM

Adventure, in my book, is going to far away places with inappropriate equipment. I say install some dual sport tires and hit the dirt. If you find you like it make your next bike an ADV.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:32 AM

Short answer: Sure, try it.

My story in a longer answer: I bought my F 5 years ago, and it has been a great bike. I tried to make it fit a dual purpose role, purchasing Rally Raid's level 1 kit, wheels, and bits. I envisioned having TKC80s on the spoked rims, street tires on the stock rims and being able to swap. It was a good plan, but I found the more aggressive seating position and overall geometry just not quite right for dirt and off-road riding. Even touring or long days started giving me pinches and pains. I found a used X at a decent used price last year. I swapped all of the RR stuff onto it, and now it serves the ADV and longer rides role. It is different from the F. Surprisingly so. I still have the F. I use it as my commuter, and for shorter rides with friends.

Good luck and have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 CB500F
2015 CB500X

Honda rear hugger
R & G radiator guard
Puig 6437 screen in black
Rally Raid Level 1 suspension
Rally Raid skid plate, pegs, rear brake res cover
The Cycle Guys expandable FastPack pillion bag
Two Bros. Black Series slip-on exhaust M-2 Aluminum canister, P1 insert

The Black Bike Clan
Because nothing beats the black bike!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Absolutely SPOT ON! So many of my best memories are being caught in a situation, under equipped, unprepared, and finding a way to overcome.

The aggressive looks and seating on this bike are what kind of sold me on it. I can also see where it would be a hinderance trying to navigate some different terrain.

Excited is an understatement right now. It’s an hour ride home from the dealership and I can’t wait to hop on and bring her home.

Appreciate the advice! I may just have to grab an X too when I find one nearby. I got into my 15’ F for $3900 and only 2100 miles. She’s not even broke in yet.

I do want to add some bags, or maybe just a tank bag for now. I’ll do some shopping for those.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:49 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Please include your general location on your profile. Always an interesting bit of info. Good luck. I ride my F on gravel & dirt roads when needs be but no real “adventure” stuff. Street tires can manage more than you think. For an all around adventure bike I would probably pick up a Kawa 650 KLR. Plenty of them on Craig’s cheap. Seems like a hassle to switch out wheels when you could mount something appropriate instead.
airhead83 likes this.

Ride like your life depends on it.

Last edited by motohonace; 08-15-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page