My CBR500R! - Page 7 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:02 AM

From memory the 4 pin end of the usb cable plugs into the rapidbike harness, and the usb end goes into your laptop. You dont need dyno time- the rapidbike evo and racing modules write their own map from the stock narrow band sensors. It takes about 200ks of riding, but you can tweak it from your laptop. The more info you give it, riding in different gears, at different revs,the smoother it will be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keef View Post
From memory the 4 pin end of the usb cable plugs into the rapidbike harness, and the usb end goes into your laptop. You dont need dyno time- the rapidbike evo and racing modules write their own map from the stock narrow band sensors. It takes about 200ks of riding, but you can tweak it from your laptop. The more info you give it, riding in different gears, at different revs,the smoother it will be.
thanks for the info! Actually I might have a friend with this cable in town...

I will contact him to borrow it.
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimizer View Post
Quote:
thanks for the info! Actually I might have a friend with this cable in town...

I will contact him to borrow it.
Mine came with the cable. Have you downloaded the software?

post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

No, I checked, mine is the rapid bike evo "exclusive", which is made model specific only, and it does not come with the USB cable.

Yours is probably the rapid bike evo standard model, where it can be re-programmed to go on any bike as you please
I guess I'll go buy a cable then!

Quote:
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimizer View Post
No, I checked, mine is the rapid bike evo "exclusive", which is made model specific only, and it does not come with the USB cable.

Yours is probably the rapid bike evo standard model, where it can be re-programmed to go on any bike as you please
I guess I'll go buy a cable then! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

Quote:
Correct. The module is generic, reprogrammed to be bike specific, and then a specific harness. Dimsport agreed to create the vfr harness from a group buy from a vfr forum.
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Hope everyone is getting some good rides in! Here is the bike at Spanish Banks today in Vancouver, British Columbia. Low tides out, people looked like they were walking out in the middle of the ocean!

Visuals:
As you may have already noticed, I removed pretty much all the oem stickers and designed / cut my own. I added gold vinyl stripe on the edges of the fairing, and CBR on the side. I also removed the silver oem honda gas tank sticker, and replaced it with an oem black honda wing gas tank sticker. The 500R sticker, I changed it to all black. I removed my cheap rear aftermarket turn signals, although they look good, I think they are not bright enough. I put in licence plate bolt lights with super bright amber lights built into them (Was only $2! But cant find them on Ebay anymore!) The wiring is super thin and hard to work with, and you just have to be careful, but the lights work, no joke... So bright.... ugh haha

-I was exploring the upper rpm range a little too long one night in a long sweeper, having way too much fun, the bike started making a metallic squeaking noise emanating around the engine. Only can hear it at idle and upon accel, but not decel, and the popping noise from the exhaust sounded different. Like a silent "crack crack crack". I've never heard that before. Also power seem to be a little different. Maybe its all in my head, but I was paranoid... I've gone out a couple times, and the bike still drives fine, but I'm definitely holding back now and not riding as aggressively. Anyway couple "normal" rides later that noise went away, and the exhaust doesn't make the cracking noise anymore. but now I am more careful not to try to be so hard on the engine. I realized I was still riding on winterized gas as well, and maybe I should have taken it easy with all these new parts? Like a break in process? I'm not sure, anybody want to chime in? Finally filled up with fresh gas with 94 octane though...

-Check engine light disappeared on its own, the day my DLC tool arrived at my local dealer for pick up. lol.

-Rapid bike USB cable came in, downloaded the software and playing around with it. Very very impressive software.. Will do a throttle calibration tomorrow within the software. The dealer who sold it to me said to fill in all the columns with values (as most of them say 0 right now) with more rides in and what not, they will fill up, and by that time he told me to take a screen shot for him. From there he will show me how to adjust it to get the most out of the auto tuning.

-I put back on the LV-10 silencer, and added a disc into it, sent by their technical support staff. Essentially its a 54mm diameter washer with 5 holes punched into the center. Its placed into the inlet part of the muffler. It effectively made the sound more tolerable. Also I felt an increase in torque. I researched the forums and everyone actually said to ditch it as its possibly used only for passing strict euro noise / emission laws, but there is no information on someone using it like how I am using it. On a decat pipe, tiny muffler with no db killer installed. Im going to keep running with this set up for now...

-On order is a tyga steering stopper and a set of black regular clip on clamps only (no riser). Should lower the bars by about 1" more than now (2" lower than standard) and have more of a supersport stance. Hoping with this set up it wont hit the bodywork. Will modify and raise the rear of the seat foam as well, maybe 1cm to 2cm, to have a slight downward angle tapering to the gas tank.

-My track junkie buddy test rode my bike. He said the F4 rear shock is set up well, and perfectly suited for track riding. So he adjusted the Adreani forks to track settings as well to match. Holy. Bike turns beautifully and its a firmer ride all around, which is a big contrast to stock of course.

-Thinking about getting the rapid bike quick shift sensor. Pretty much plug and play and adjustable using the laptop. I think it will be cool to experience it. Never had one before!

Thats it for now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190614_104036_resized.jpg (351.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by optimizer; 06-15-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:13 AM

I love the all black CBRs with a little color accent.l! Nice looking bike
post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoTwisties View Post
I love the all black CBRs with a little color accent.l! Nice looking bike
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Super quick update:

Something I did not mention in previous posts, but I was wondering why my bikes ride height got higher (see previous post with beach photo, you can see the front end almost looks like a 500X LOL), I thought maybe it was the rear shock, but recently I had the chance to measure the stock forks on another 500 from seal to lower triple clamp, and realized the adreani cartridge forks make the overall fork height a bit longer. (did not know that) I lowered the bike in the front to stock height and it handles even better than before. Also I got my no riser clip-ons installed (2" lower than standard). It really feels good now. Just waiting on that steering stopper so theres no chance to hit the fairings when turning the handle bars.

The leo vince 5 hole disc db killer inside the inlet was very restrictive, not only with sound, but performance as well, which I could feel myself twisting the throttle harder just to maintain speed during a ride in the mountains. So I took it out and drilled 4 extra holes into it, and enlarged the center one. Now the bike is a good compromise between speed and sound, and feels less restrictive, still not totally loud.

I think the ported engine and cams mod is good with a completely unrestricted exhaust or with a really good designed non-restrictive baffle, like how I took it out the first night. As long as you don't mind the sound. I think it will make the most seat in the pants feel power that way.

Went for a ride with a couple friends. Had the chance to swap bikes with a buddy with a KTM RC390 which is pretty much stock with a slip-on. Interesting enough the slip-on exhaust for the RC390 serves as a de-cat as well, then it bolts into a header pipe that just goes into the engine. (From what I can observe, might be wrong)

In direct comparison with my 500R, the RC390 definitely feels less punchy and cannot really compare. You need to downshift a lot to get power out of it. At stop lights, it vibrated a lot as well (single cylinder), the handlebars and tail section shakes a lot!! Almost to the point I wanted to hop off and give up. Started to get annoying at a really long stop light. The transmission is very vague and flappy too, it doesn't have that positive gear click like a Honda. You would never know if you got it into first gear unless you hit down a couple times.

Steering wise, it was very agile, due to how light the thing is, the handling was very good out of the box, and I was impressed for a stock machine. It does have a gear indicator as well, lots of info on the dash.

I hopped back on my bike, and was so happy to do so, especially in its modded state. Everything was set up really well just for me of course.

I can't believe how aggressive the riding position was compared to the RC390, as hardcore as that bike looks.
With the rear sets, lower clip-ons, track focused suspension, and the power my bike has. It was a huge contrast! Even for my friend! He couldn't find my pegs at first!

His impression of my bike? Really smooth, too smooth. He said, riding it, it feels like a lighter 600cc, but he didn't elaborate. I assume he just meant riding position and handling only. He complimented the suspension too, how it dips perfectly with all the bumps. He also said it was loud. lol. (personally I think its acceptable levels now) Also he said the engines running fine and enjoyed the power, which I agree.

The bike has lots of drive. Its amazing to feel the bike getting smoother and smoother each time I ride it as the rapid bike does its thing when I let it. Still working on filling out all the values in the software and hopefully will get around to weighing the bike and doing the dyno too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190629_230014_resized.jpg (516.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by optimizer; 07-02-2019 at 03:29 AM.
post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Wassup guys, two posts in one day! Just excited to show you what I've learned so far regarding the Rapid bike Software and how it effected the bike today.

Now with a couple rides in, today my dealer told me to make some updates to the o2sensor auto adaptivity settings. At default it is set at +43, however he told me to try +1 rich, and if that felt worse, I could try +1 lean. He also said in his experience, most bikes he worked on benefit from +1 rich. The maximum is +2 rich, however that might be wasting time he said.

I went for a 60km-ish short ride at +1 rich, and instantly with the new setting, the bike is more lively, like a barking, happy puppy dog eating up treats while running.

When I got home, he told me to try another setting, called Correction Pump. He said its a trick that could make the bike accelerate harder. He said to enable it and give it a try. (I'll try it and update later)

I also attached a screenshot of the standard cbr500r (16) rapid bike evo "map". This is the baseline map I'm using from their library, so the auto adaptivity settings are correcting off of this.
The initial bike they made this map for also had a leo vince exhaust.

Once I'm really happy with the auto adaptivity settings, and all the corrections have matured, and most of the rows and columns have been filled with adjustments, I can quickly press a button called "add corrections". It would modify the standard map you see now, and the graph and all the values will change to my personalized one. Then I can save it as a file and share it here to whomever wants to see what they can do with it.

Theres probably more stuff to learn, but its exciting to feel the changes so quickly! I guess thats why they call it rapid bike... lol.

Attached is a blurry picture of the restrictive disc in my exhaust and how its been modified. You can see the 4 extra holes I drilled, also enlarged the most center hole. Flow and power improved greatly, however top end power, I know it can be better without the disc. Compromise for the street. A cop car was following me for a dozen city blocks. I think if my exhaust was any louder he would have pulled me over! Luckily he got so bored he turned off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190701_231929_resized.jpg (111.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20190701_223214_resized.jpg (289.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20190701_222640_resized.jpg (299.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20190701_223541_resized.jpg (283.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by optimizer; 07-02-2019 at 03:26 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page