New Bike - Honda 600RR or 1000RR - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

New Bike - Honda 600RR or 1000RR

So I admit I haven't been riding super long maybe a few years on the street. Right now commute everyday back and forth on my '16 cb500F, i like it - its great for the long commute... Made some mods gear changes and such. But have the itch to get a second play bike - maybe a '19 600RR or a '17 1000rr - im big honda fan so only looking at those bikes -(id go for an SP1 if i could afford it) but anyhow... i digress.

So yes although i feel like i ride pretty spiritedly, ive never been to the track.... im 40 and on my bucket-list it would be awesome to haul butt on some deserted pavement or track at 200mph. I'm def no 'marc marquez' and can only get my 500f in the 109-117 range. But always have the itching to go faster. The 600RR seems like next logical step but hear it only tops out at 130-140 or so. Ive had a few people suggest i stay away from the liter bikes... yes they are faster but also from what i hear harder to control. The 600 sounds ok but the bigger bikes always pack all the goodies (drive by wire, better suspension, electronics, slipper clutch, etc)...

I know ill never get 100% out of either the 600 or the 1000 but they do sound fun - how do i make up my mind?

--

The other option is perhaps dropping some cash and going to CA Superbike school and try the 1000 (albeit BMW bikes ) and make up my mind from there... before making a large and possibly regretful decision?

Last edited by steve77; 07-15-2019 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Probably a good idea to go the the Superbike school. What you learn there will help you in more ways than deciding which bike to buy.
bambams and steve77 like this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:03 PM

I second Motohonace’s suggestion. Go to the superbike school and ride the larger bike in a controlled environment first.

In regards to “not being able to control the liter bike”, that is completely up to you and your right wrist. Know your limitations, don’t go beyond them and ride safely.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:30 PM

Yo Steve, It sounds like you are getting 110% out of the 500. I get down to OC on occasion (Mission Viejo) & am familiar with the freeway environment there. Really rather crazy in the amount of traffic & especially the speeds. Lots of times I will ticking at 85 or 90 in the HOV lane, in my truck, only to have folks come flying by me in the “fast lane” doing triple digits. I grew up in Huntington Beach in the 60s & rode the freeways back then, but now I do everything I can to avoid that scrum except for short stretches. I suppose if I still lived there I too would want a bike that had punch at over 100mph. I am 69, have been riding my entire life. All I can say is get your skill set as dialed in as possible & be hyper-vigilant on that rather uncontrolled 5/405 racetrack. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
steve77 likes this.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:16 PM

Africa Twin? It's high on my want list, low on my need list.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:55 AM

Garage
I have no real experience with either. What I notice from the motovloggers with litre bikes is that they generally ride around at small revs (maybe 3000), which is plenty to move them on their bike, but isn't really anywhere near the power zone. When they want the power they pull harder, but don't need it. I think a 600 is a good stepping stone because you can learn to appreciate the insanity of a 600 supersport to even further respect the 1000. They're both kill you style bikes. The 600 needs to be revved hard to be rideable based on what I've heard without practical experience. The 1000 makes enough torque low end just because of how big it is that you can ride it like a ***** when you need to, and pull on it when you want to. There's no straightforward answer here. I'd say if money isn't a big concern go with the 600 first and then move on to a 1000. Then you can appreciate the difference, and have a sense of "earning" the 1000. If money is a concern go with the 1000. They're a more intense beast, but it sounds like you get a more flexible ride out of it, and probably they're equally dangerous. At least the 1000 will happily handle lower revs, whereas I've heard the 600 class are more particular.
steve77 and airhead83 like this.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Wow thank you all for the responses... all the typical responses I have heard about my questions on the matter for some time were just "stay away from 1L" or "Bigger bikes are harder to control" which has sometimes made me question my ability / judgement on the matter despite putting over 18k miles on my bike.

I will very likely go to the superbike school just to see what its all about, and perhaps that will help guide my search, and also continue to learn and refine my riding skill.
As Jello mentioned or at least inferred there is a def diff between want and need, i likely dont need-need another bike but do want to start going to the track and dont want to risk taking my commute vehicle and wrecking it, as i still need to get to work... im also not getting any younger either so there is a need of sorts.

I guess the main thing holding me back is just wondering how different the 600RR will be from my 500 aside from body position. I know displacement isn’t everything, but the thing that get me is all the really nice stuff is only on the liter bikes (wired throttle, etc).

I suppose I could get a used 600RR to start playing with it but you never know how previous owner treated (abused) their bike... I know im probably thinking too hard on it all, just want to make sure Im making the right decision.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:46 PM

You are not thinking too hard, just thinking. Which is a good thing. If I was in your spot I would opt for the 600. I am sure you will find it waaaaay different than the 500. Those were the Moto2 engines after all. There is a reason that in MotoGP the 300s & 600s are often quicker through the turns than the liter GP bikes. Of course different story on the open sections. Regardless do the school & see if you can check out both bikes. Those bikes attract a certain type of rider so I would imagine that most used ones are well used. That said, there is always the possibility to find a fresh one at a good Craigslist price. People’s circumstances change, get married, have a kid, need money whatever. Check it out.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Wow thank you all for the responses... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] all the typical responses I have heard about my questions on the matter for some time were just "stay away from 1L" or "Bigger bikes are harder to control" which has sometimes made me question my ability / judgement on the matter despite putting over 18k miles on my bike.

I will very likely go to the superbike school just to see what its all about, and perhaps that will help guide my search, and also continue to learn and refine my riding skill.
As Jello mentioned or at least inferred there is a def diff between want and need, i likely dont need-need another bike but do want to start going to the track and dont want to risk taking my commute vehicle and wrecking it, as i still need to get to work... im also not getting any younger either so there is a need of sorts.

I guess the main thing holding me back is just wondering how different the 600RR will be from my 500 aside from body position. I know displacement isn’t everything, but the thing that get me is all the really nice stuff is only on the liter bikes (wired throttle, etc).

I suppose I could get a used 600RR to start playing with it but you never know how previous owner treated (abused) their bike... I know im probably thinking too hard on it all, just want to make sure Im making the right decision.
I would say if your goal is track days, get the 600. It is drastically different than the 500 ( 4cyl, short stroke, high revs), and you will be challenged on it at a good track. Buy used in good condition, and be less sad when you thrash it racing around.

If you were looking to graduate to a bigger bike for the street, go 1000 for the better low down torque / long term value.

Or take my original advise, get an Africa Twin and start prepping for Dakar!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:14 PM

Garage
I'm worried that the 500 is teaching me bad habits. A 600 is like 3x the power and torque in the power zone. If you open the throttle wrong it will definitely skid. If you chop the throttle wrong it will also likely skid. The 500 pretty much won't skid without brakes or debris. At least, in my experience.

On Sunday I went for a ride to a twisty road, but it's really low speed. Like 45 MPH average, but corners are probably closer to 30. Nevertheless, there were a few surprise corners covered in sand. By the time you saw it there was no way to avoid it. You just had to turn through it and hope you stayed up. I wonder how much scarier that is on a 600 or 1000.

But from motovloggers they don't seem any more concerned than I am. I imagine it's the same thing. Just be careful not to input any sudden changes and it'll probably be fine. But certainly worth considering first. If you have access to a superbike school and can afford it I definitely think you should do it.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
FirstGear Kilimanjaro High-Visibility, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page