CarbonSmith Carbon Fiber Parts - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
CarbonSmith Carbon Fiber Parts

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that I am going to start making some prototype parts for the CBR500R out of 3D Printed Carbon Fiber. Yes, real continuous strain Carbon Fiber. I own my own business called CarbonSmith and we concentrate in custom prototype parts for pro race teams, but I want to start making some parts for the CBR500R now that it is legal in the MotoAmerica Junior Cup. Some of the items we will be making are fairing stays, subframes, clip ons, levers, rear sets, lever guards, crash protection, airboxes, velocity stacks, gas caps, etc. This isn't going to be an overnight thing, but for those of you interested in some parts feel free to send me a PM. Thanks!

www.carbon-smith.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Onyx 1.jpg (238.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Ram Air Funnel 6.jpg (107.9 KB, 46 views)

2017 Sponsors - Honda Powersports, Pirelli Tires, Galfer Brakes, Race Tech Suspension, Vortex Racing, Racer Gloves, Sol Performance, Quik Cycles, BloodNickle Leathers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 02:49 PM

When I was racing I also manufactured some carbon fibre parts. I still have a measurable amount of carbon mesh, some rotten epoxy, my trusty old vacuum pump and some of the moulds still around.
I've mainly done body parts case savers and cosmetic parts. tell me more about this carbon printing got so far I've only heard about carbon infused pla.
Once you settle with rhings I'll be interested in a pair of velocity stacks and possibly a lighter airbox than the oem boat anchor.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
When I was racing I also manufactured some carbon fibre parts. I still have a measurable amount of carbon mesh, some rotten epoxy, my trusty old vacuum pump and some of the moulds still around.
I've mainly done body parts case savers and cosmetic parts. tell me more about this carbon printing got so far I've only heard about carbon infused pla.
Once you settle with rhings I'll be interested in a pair of velocity stacks and possibly a lighter airbox than the oem boat anchor.

The printer that I use has two stages, both of which are made using Carbon Fiber. The first stage is a chopped carbon fiber filament, the second stage is a continuous carbon fiber strand encapsulated in the chopped carbon fiber filament. The printer prints layers of each in different angles, creating a 3D print with a carbon fiber weave encapsulated inside of it.

I have already made a model of a short velocity stack to print for my Superbike Build next year. I also want to make an adjustable one for testing. PM me if you want me to print you a set.
Attached Images
File Type: png Short Stack.png (67.0 KB, 18 views)

2017 Sponsors - Honda Powersports, Pirelli Tires, Galfer Brakes, Race Tech Suspension, Vortex Racing, Racer Gloves, Sol Performance, Quik Cycles, BloodNickle Leathers
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MraRacer#934 View Post
The printer that I use has two stages, both of which are made using Carbon Fiber. The first stage is a chopped carbon fiber filament, the second stage is a continuous carbon fiber strand encapsulated in the chopped carbon fiber filament. The printer prints layers of each in different angles, creating a 3D print with a carbon fiber weave encapsulated inside of it.

I have already made a model of a short velocity stack to print for my Superbike Build next year. I also want to make an adjustable one for testing. PM me if you want me to print you a set.
Looks cool.

There was a company in Slovakia called Motomaxx, making velocity stacks dor rhe 500. They shown nice improvements on the dyno - but it seems to be compared to the very restrictive EU spec staxks which have 35-30% of their surface area blocked. Tothezenith triwd them, but could not show any measureable benefit on the dyno compared his non-restricted stacks.

I'm sure you're aware of this velocity stack design. The one you have included seems (might be optical only) parallel kike a tube. It can be great for a modular adjustable stack, but the shape probably could be improved further.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11139379_10153229976092800_2445912804227041861_n.jpg (42.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg radialadapter.jpg (105.6 KB, 25 views)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:51 AM

As I think of it a lighter weight rear caliper bracket would be also a worthy upgrade and quite a change in unsprung weight. Probably would not get as hot as the front brake either.

Also depending on strength a two part lightweight rear chain sprocket could be cool. Thinking of a two part construction similart to the supersprox stealth sprockets which have a high wear resistance outer part, and a lightweight inner section.

Also I dunno where are you compared to the weight limit of your class, and how big items can be printed on your machine but a lightweight instrument cluster holder and a rear subframe could help quite a lot competing those light ninja 400s and R3s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Supersprox-catalogue-2016-Page-2.jpg (262.5 KB, 19 views)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
As I think of it a lighter weight rear caliper bracket would be also a worthy upgrade and quite a change in unsprung weight. Probably would not get as hot as the front brake either.

Also depending on strength a two part lightweight rear chain sprocket could be cool. Thinking of a two part construction similart to the supersprox stealth sprockets which have a high wear resistance outer part, and a lightweight inner section.

Also I dunno where are you compared to the weight limit of your class, and how big items can be printed on your machine but a lightweight instrument cluster holder and a rear subframe could help quite a lot competing those light ninja 400s and R3s.

I am working on a carbon fiber subframe, but it would be built only for track day use.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well the first version of the stacks are off to the dyno for testing.

These are 45mm tall with a 10% taper.

Will post results after we get them back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190227_115003.jpg (108.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190227_115118.jpg (80.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190227_115126.jpg (56.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190227_143012_172.jpg (90.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190227_143012_174.jpg (85.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190227_143012_175.jpg (95.5 KB, 20 views)

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
We are still working on final figures for a stock engine, but here is a comparison chart of stock stacks and K&N intake vs. CarbonSmith Stacks and CarbonSmith MA Spec Intake filter on a stage 2 engine. We found about 4% power increase at the top end and constant power gains across the entire curve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_376705809850906.jpg (130.7 KB, 23 views)
optimizer and Resolute like this.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 PM

55 rwhp. Nice.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
55 rwhp. Nice.
That dyno reads about 10% high, so probably 49-50 on most other dynos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page