CB500X or naked bike? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leisure Time Larry
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Unread 04-12-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

CB500X or naked bike?

I hope to be purchasing a new bike this summer....to replace my Rebel 300. One of the reasons for replacement is the rebel 300 isn't what I'm looking for. I'm a newbie, and just started riding last fall. The Rebel 300 got all these great reviews saying it's a great 1st bike. And it HAS been a good 1st bike for me, but it's time to move on.

This leads me to ask "What do I want to do?" "What kind of riding will (or want) I be doing?" Even before I bought the Rebel, I thought I wanted a cruiser. But this is clearly not the case. (I thought I would sell the rebel and move up to a Honda Shadow, but that's off the table now...I don't want a cruiser)

I'm looking at a few things 1) riding around my small town in the midwest. (40k population) 2) taking day trips, mostly involving back roads....the interstate is not for me) 3) I've become interested in motorcycle camping. So being able to have bags and such lashed to the back is important. I don't think I'll go hard cases...just bags should do. 4) A bit of traveling by motorcycle. I have friends in neighboring states and I'd like to take the bike to visit them.

I had previously been considering the CB500F and the Yamaha mt07. Both good bikes. But now I'm considering the CB500X instead of the F. Although the X is classified as an adventure bike, I see a lot of people referring to it as an 'everything' bike. Adventure, day tripper, long distance bike...a little bit of everything. There seems to be a lot of youtube videos that are extremely positive about the X.

For a while, I thought the naked MT 07 was going to be it for me. But recently, I've been looking into the CB500x...and it's checking off all the right boxes. It's just that the MT07 gets outstanding reviews and they say it's clearly the leader in it's class. But the X gets raves for it's long term riding comfort (important to me) and ability to carry bags. I don't think I'd ever take either off road. Even dirt roads. The higher hp of the MT07 is mostly meaningless to me.

The 2019 models aren't even in the dealerships yet. (well, a few are trickling in) I'm looking for feedback and people with experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Unread 04-12-2019, 05:30 PM

Garage
Get the 500X

and enjoy.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Sold)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 & 1988 Honda NT650
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Unread 04-12-2019, 10:08 PM

I have an F and an X, and it sounds like you should try the X. I bought the F 5 years ago, and it has been a great bike. I tried to make it fit a dual purpose role, purchasing Rally Raid's level 1 kit, wheels, and bits. I envisioned having TKC80s on the spoked rims, street tires on the stock rims and being able to swap. It was a good plan, but I found the more aggressive seating postion and overall geometry just not quite right for dirt and off-road riding. Even touring or long days started giving me pinches and pains. I found a used X at a decent used price last year. I swapped all of the RR stuff onto it, and now it serves the ADV and longer rides role. It is different from the F. Surprisingly so. I still have the F. I use it as my commuter, and for shorter rides with friends. One friend has the FZ07. I've ridden it. It's nice, that power is nice, but I found it more uncomfortable than my F. Like I started with, I recommend you try the X. It is more versatile. You can add RR parts and such. They can be found used for really good prices. The new '19 looks interesting with the changes such as the 19" front wheel, but I would get an older model used one and set it up with RR parts for about the same money. If you can find a used one that somebody already Rally Raided out, even better. Good luck.
Jb44 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 CB500F
2015 CB500X

Honda rear hugger
R & G radiator guard
Puig 6437 screen in black
Rally Raid Level 1 suspension
Rally Raid skid plate, pegs, rear brake res cover
The Cycle Guys expandable FastPack pillion bag
Two Bros. Black Series slip-on exhaust M-2 Aluminum canister, P1 insert

The Black Bike Clan
Because nothing beats the black bike!

Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 04-12-2019 at 10:12 PM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 03:38 AM

Garage
If you're insisting on a 500 then I think the X makes good sense for you. I've never ridden one, but I know the R is uncomfortable for highway riding, and the F isn't all that different, an the X has the best chance of being different. I'm not sure that an X is a better fit than some other completely different bike though. The X still has its disadvantages. Higher seat high if you're not tall, and it's still pretty heavy for on dirt. You generally say you won't ride on dirt though (which amuses me because dirt/gravel doesn't even bother me on the R). I haven't ridden an X, but I'm skeptical that the ride quality is all that much better than the R. I think you've ruled out cruisers too fast. It sounds like you need a cruiser or a touring bike. If you're made of money then go for a Gold Wing or something. If money is an issue then I think a reasonably sized/priced cruiser may be a good bet. I think the X is more adventure than you sound like you care to have, and if comfort is your goal then I don't think you'll find it here.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)
Joe Rocket Speedmaster 12.0, Joe Rocket Ballistic Boots, Scorpion Exo R2000, Alpinestars Raider Drystar Pants or Scorpion Covert Jeans, Icon Hypersport Pro Short Gloves
Castrol Chainlube, Pro Honda GN4, Pro Honda Dot 4, 87 octane AKI
Kriega R-35, Air Hawk Dual Sport, Go Cruise 2, Grip Puppies

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambams View Post
If you're insisting on a 500 then I think the X makes good sense for you. I've never ridden one, but I know the R is uncomfortable for highway riding, and the F isn't all that different, an the X has the best chance of being different. I'm not sure that an X is a better fit than some other completely different bike though. The X still has its disadvantages. Higher seat high if you're not tall, and it's still pretty heavy for on dirt. You generally say you won't ride on dirt though (which amuses me because dirt/gravel doesn't even bother me on the R). I haven't ridden an X, but I'm skeptical that the ride quality is all that much better than the R. I think you've ruled out cruisers too fast. It sounds like you need a cruiser or a touring bike. If you're made of money then go for a Gold Wing or something. If money is an issue then I think a reasonably sized/priced cruiser may be a good bet. I think the X is more adventure than you sound like you care to have, and if comfort is your goal then I don't think you'll find it here.
One of the reasons I've ruled out cruisers is the foot position. I have sat on several cruisers at the dealership, and I REALLY don't like the 'feet forward' position. I like my feet underneath or tucked back....but upright body. (And the CBR is definitely NOT upright) I also like the idea of something lighter and nimble, and those big cruisers I sat on made me feel like I was sitting on a tank. And I bet the Goldwing would be twice as bad.

I'm 5'10" and 200lbs. I don't think the X height will be an issue.

I did sit on a 2018 MT 07....and it felt good...but it wasn't magical. But starting in '18, they made the seat bigger, which is important to me. I sat on a SV650...and that felt fantastic, but there's internet rumblings about that bike having excessive engine vibrations. (Deal killer for me) I guess sitting on an X for the first time will be an education.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Unread 04-18-2019, 10:29 PM

Since you say that you don't want to be riding on the interstate, I'd suggest the Kawasaki Versys X- 300. It's won't have the power of the 500, more like your 300 now, but it's lighter and comes ready with things like a windshield and rear carrier. With the larger fuel tank over the Yamaha, it will also have great fuel economy like the 500 series does now. You can even get some decent OEM accessories if you decide you really like the bike. I have the 500X and the points on the hand rail make for some decent-enough tie down spots when I carry gear.

I'd say I guess it depends on how much camping activity/traveling you actually do as opposed to be mostly in town or fun rides like, say on the weekend or after work. If you don't in reality end up doing that much, honestly, either the 500F, MT-07 or 500X would be more than adequate. Between the 500F and MT-07, I would say probably the MT-07 just because it really is that "much" more of an engine compared to the 500 line, if topping out to 125ish mph is your thing. But, if distance is your thing, the bigger gas tanks of the 500 line may be worth it too you. I can't imagine not getting 210 plus miles on a tank now.

Whatever bike you choose, in order to do some camping, do yourself a favor and make sure you can get a center stand for the bike you select. It makes off road parking soooo much easier.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtommer View Post
Since you say that you don't want to be riding on the interstate, I'd suggest the Kawasaki Versys X- 300. It's won't have the power of the 500, more like your 300 now, but it's lighter and comes ready with things like a windshield and rear carrier. With the larger fuel tank over the Yamaha, it will also have great fuel economy like the 500 series does now. You can even get some decent OEM accessories if you decide you really like the bike. I have the 500X and the points on the hand rail make for some decent-enough tie down spots when I carry gear.

I'd say I guess it depends on how much camping activity/traveling you actually do as opposed to be mostly in town or fun rides like, say on the weekend or after work. If you don't in reality end up doing that much, honestly, either the 500F, MT-07 or 500X would be more than adequate. Between the 500F and MT-07, I would say probably the MT-07 just because it really is that "much" more of an engine compared to the 500 line, if topping out to 125ish mph is your thing. But, if distance is your thing, the bigger gas tanks of the 500 line may be worth it too you. I can't imagine not getting 210 plus miles on a tank now.
Whatever bike you choose, in order to do some camping, do yourself a favor and make sure you can get a center stand for the bike you select. It makes off road parking soooo much easier.
I think I've pretty much decided against the MT 07...I want a more upright riding position. Every time I sit on the MT 07...I lean a little more forward than I want to. Funny you should bring up the Versys. The MT07 has been dropped in favor of the Versys...but the 650 model rather than the 300. It's more power than I need. But it's still in the adventure category.....and by adventure, I mean daily driver, off road, runabout, long distance...a little bit of everything like the 500X. So it's down to the 500X and the Versys 650.

My Rebel 300...the only bike I've ever ridden... vibrates outrageously at high rpms. I didn't know if it's because it's a single cylinder...or if this is just the way motorcycles are. At the dealership the other day, they let me ride a used Versys 650. And it was SO SMOOTH! It made me realize the rebel is NOT for me. (it feels like I'm riding an electric sander) So now I know multi cylinder bikes don't vibrate so much.

There are new 2018 Versys 650's out there. But the CB500x is new for 2019..and several dealerships are vague about when they'll get them in. (Two dealerships say Honda is the one that's vague) So it looks like I could pick up a 2018 Versys 650 now for a discount. There doesn't seem to be any major changes or updates for 2019. The price of last year's 650 could put it just a little above the 2019 CB500X.

The smoothness of that parallel twin in the 650 makes it so I don't even want to ride my rebel anymore. The vibrations are THAT bad. I may ride it back to the dealership and have one of their service people ride it...just to confirm that's what it's supposed to be like. My hands and butt start going numb in just a few minutes.

Topping out at 65mph is my thing.

Last edited by Ohio Rider; Yesterday at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in