CB500X or naked bike? - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Unread 04-23-2019, 08:02 PM

No remarkable vibration on my 14F. I consider it quite smooth.. have nothing else to compare it with.

so many roads...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Unread 04-25-2019, 09:26 AM

Garage
I chose the F over the X mainly because of the seat height. I installed a center stand first. Now, I am trying to figure out what order to get the other accessories that I want.
motohonace likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Unread 04-25-2019, 07:28 PM

Location: Sonoma County, California & Borrego Springs, California
Center stand is certainly the #1 best add on as it makes chain maintenance so easy. Also front fender extender & rear tire hugger make sense if you ride in the wet & want your radiator & rear shock kept clean.
bambams and SamGunn64 like this.

Ride like your life depends on it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Unread 04-28-2019, 09:16 PM

Opinions are as the say "Like A H's, Everyone Has One". LOL

I have only ridden a CB500X, so don't know about the other CB500s. That said, I have had Cruisers (600 and 800) and a NINJA 500, and Burgman 650 and 400 Scooters (they are great rides).

My CB500X is a 2014 I bought used with 15K on it in 2015. I now have right at 60,000 on it. The reason it had 15K miles is the bike was a soldiers bought in Hawaii, transferred to Ca when he got out, he rode it to Alaska and back to GA and traded it. I found it and it had a few dings and high mileage so got a decent price. I bought it from a dealer in GA.

I have only changed Oil, Chains & Sprockets, Brake Pads, Tires (do my own) and one rear wheel bearing I had a friend change as takes special tools and knowledge (failed at like 50,000 some miles).

I have never adjusted valves or changed plugs. I have had some issues with batteries (See recent new post I made today, 04-28-2019)

I am 5' 8" (28" or less inseam) I weigh from 194 (now) to 206 GROAN. I can flat foot, but not much leverage even with a 1 inch lowering kit. I need 2 inch lowering kit.

I put in a lowering kit on (easy to do). I went with 1 inch because I had added a center stand and did not need to shorten the center stand or the side stand with 1 inch kit. I just have to watch a bit the angle of the road when using the side stand.

Also, the seat height does present a bit of a problem say when trying to turn around with feet on the ground in some situations (rough back country or gravel roads).

The bike gets right at 70 MPG (buddy gets 80 MPG from his NC700X). The 500 has plenty good acceleration and top speed around 95 (realistic), so OK at 70s on Interstate. It has a wide RPM range (8500 red line) allows revving up in gears. I sometimes rev up and switch thru (skip) a couple gears to get to a higher gear.

It handles very good, nearly a sport bike. I live in East TN (do some very curvy roads, steep switchbacks and Mtn roads, and a lot of rough back roads, pig paths, including gravel Forest roads. I do not do trail riding but have gotten into rougher roads than I should be on at 80 years old a few times and rode it out. I run a 20% / 80% tires (SHINKO -- good results and reasonable).

I switch windshield in winter as I ride from 35F to 95F temperatures as long as I don't think there is ice hidden on shady areas). I adapted an upside down Burgman 400 Scooter Windshield a friend had to the CB500X. I take it off in the summer and put standard windshield on. The wind feels good on those 85 and 95F days.

The CB500X is a very versatile bike - sounds like you need a CB500X vs a pure street bike (and for sure not a cruiser).
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Unread 08-07-2019, 04:36 AM

I'd go with the cb500X.
This bike is basically a cb500f with large windscreen upright seating position perfect for long distance touring and can do a little bit off-roading
CB500F is only for good commuting or a city bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in