Sluggish ride - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post Sluggish ride

Hello all! Thought I would finally post a little something.
I went for a short ride the other day and noticed my cb500F wasn't responding as it should. As many of you might of guessed it was just a tire air adjustment issue. I really can't tell how much air is in the tires by just looking. After adding the air it needed I could definitely tell a huge difference in how it responds.
I've had the bike a year now and although I haven't ridden it as much as I had planned(a little over a thousand miles) I still have no regrets getting it. My biggest surprise is that I haven't needed a windshield so far. Previous bikes that I have owned years ago made it necessary due to the wind gust from big trucks. A couple of items I have added that have been helpful were the slip on padded grips and extensions for my mirrors and of course the center stand.

Jb44, Plasma1, airhead83 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:51 PM

I found air pressure to be vastly important, myself. I got the bike Oct. 11 of this year, and have put on about 700+ miles here in the Pacific NW. Finally got a pressure gauge and was able to check it, was pretty low compared to what is recommended (due to the weather change).

I'm also a new rider so all this stuff is fairly new, my car tells me if tire pressure is low ... I don't really see how you could judge by 'looking' ... so I just check with a gauge every other week or so and just fill it up with my air compressor if needed. Same with the wife's Z400 (both of us are new riders!).

As for the windshield, I don't need it for my normal rides, but I haven't taken any highway/freeway extended trips yet. I've been on the highway about 65-75 and the wind was definitely there! But I feel I could handle it for longer (rode for about 15 minutes like that). I also got the same things you seemed to have! I got the Grip Puppies (love them! The wife also got a set and we'll install them this weekend) and the mirror extensions. I also got a tank grip and it's helped with all the hills around here, I was always slightly sliding forward even with gripping my legs to the tank, it's a lot easier to hold on now.

One thing I really need to figure out is how to keep my fingertips from going numb now that we're in the colder weather, I can ride for about 20 minutes or so in 40f (5c) but after that my fingers are toast. I ride for fun and don't plan to winterize, as I will ride all winter (at least weekly) so finding a solution to that is my main goal right now.
SamGunn64 and airhead83 like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinpiranha View Post
One thing I really need to figure out is how to keep my fingertips from going numb now that we're in the colder weather, I can ride for about 20 minutes or so in 40f (5c) but after that my fingers are toast. I ride for fun and don't plan to winterize, as I will ride all winter (at least weekly) so finding a solution to that is my main goal right now.
Heated grips are probably the easiest fix for cold fingers, not just in winter but for any cooler or rainy rides. Easy to install and fairly inexpensive. I've used the Oxford Heatrz grips on two bikes and am very satisfied. Less than $100 shipped, a leisurely afternoon to install, and they're ready to go. There are other brands I'm sure are as good, but these are all I'm familiar with. I have a link below just to give an idea what's out there. I'm sure your favorite vendor will have something for you. Good Luck.
https://www.cyclegear.com/search?_ut...&commit=Search
Plasma1 likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:58 PM

+1 on the Oxford heated grips, but you may have to remove the grip puppies to get them to work well.
airhead83 likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback, all! Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and snag a pair of these. I have removed the side fairings before, but not the tank (which I read was part of the install to stash the wires) ... and the shop when I was taking it in for the first service quoted me about $300 said and done (including the grips) ...
airhead83 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 12:11 AM

$300! Learn how to change your own oil and filter. Use a good grade of synthetic oil 10/30, 5/40, etc, and either an OEM filter of one that cross-references to it (search internet). There should be tutorials for this on You Tube. Make sure none of the nuts and bolts on the bike, especially those on the forks, handlebars, etc are loose, but don't over-tighten. It's good to have a knowledgeable friend assist the first time. Done well and wisely, you'll save $270. If you don't have the heated grips, yet, find a pr of Thinsulate ski gloves. No wires, no hassles. I found mine at a thrift store for a dollar.

Dealership basic service generally is competently done, but you can learn to do as well yourself at a substantial cost saving. Changing the oil and filter on the Honda CB-500 F and R is among the easiest in motorcycle-dom.

Ralph
Wrenching bikes since 1953.
PiedmontBuckeye and OldRocker like this.

"You don't stop riding because you got old...You got old because you stopped riding,"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 05:16 AM

Garage
You do not have to remove the tank to just thread through some cables, there is plenty of space inside the fairings to hide wiring.

I had some grip puppies, but took them off because they reduced the heat from my grips. Those are OEM Honda heated grips, though. Which are far too expensive to recommend, but they were on the bike when I bought it. It may be that the Oxford ones are warmer you can happily use both together.

For short rides, grips are probably enough. But they obviously only warm the palm and inside of your fingers. And it is the outside that gets hit by cold wind. So on longer and faster rides they may not be enough.

In cooler weather generally, as airhead83 mentions, they are fantastic.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 05:37 AM

Garage
The key to keeping warm is to protect your core. Make sure that your torso is well insulated, wear plenty of layers, but don’t have them all squashed under your summer size jacket. Buy a size up for winter wear. If you can keep your core temperature up, then blood will flow to your extremities (hands/feet), to regulate your overs body temperature. Heated grips will help a lot, but they won’t do the job properly on their own.

My worst fear about dying is my wife selling all my stuff for what I told her it cost...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 09:29 AM

I'm new to riding as well (4ish months)and I'm able to feel when the tire pressure is off now as well as hear it.

I'm in similar weather, and wear thermals, warm socks, and my summer jacket with armor in it since I don't have a winter jacket. I bought some winter gloves that help my fingers not get numb, only cold, by the time I get to work 45 minutes later.
Handlebar air deflectors would help and a windshield really helps for highway speeds.
SamGunn64 likes this.

2014 CB500F White
16T counter sprocket
IXIL hyperlow slipon
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 04:57 PM

Great feedback all around!

Quick note, the $300 was for the install of the heated grips, which was way, way, too much. For the first service was about $150. I plan on doing all non-major stuff myself (also got the service manual for the bike). I have no problems taking the thing apart for the most part, have friends that can step me through really difficult stuff but they are out of town for a couple months ...

I did end up getting the Oxford Heated grips and still in the process of installing. I had to Dremel/sand down the throttle tube, hopefully it's all cured up when I get home tonight and I'll start with the wiring (I did test them first!). Just the test, they got really, really warm. Can't wait to see how they work with my "winter" gloves (Klim Vanguard GTX Long w/ 1.0 Liners) ... they have a pretty slim palm, so should transfer heat well.

I did notice a lot of folks mention wind guards, I can't really seem to find a cheaper "wind deflection-only" pair that could easily be removed come summer (bike looks too good all nekkid) for the 2019 CB500F ... but I'll keep looking. Most are bar-end connectors and after taking off those for the grips, never want to mess with those damned things again ... which reminds me I need to get some loctite.
Plasma1 and airhead83 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in