Chain adjuster and Cap eaten by Chain - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By vt500

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Chain adjuster and Cap eaten by Chain

So, reskinned the back tire, put it back on the axle, adjusted the chain tensioners, and torqued all to spec. Less than 200 miles later, dismount to find the left side cap is unseated, the related tensioner bolt is badly bent, and the cap has been chewed up by the chain.

Aside from torquing to spec, should I have put thread lock on the chain tensioner or axle? The axle was still plenty tight, though it had migrated rearward on the left side. What am I missing?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wtf.jpg (153.9 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavigogun View Post
The axle was still plenty tight, though it had migrated rearward on the left side. What am I missing?

The chain adjusters do not secure the axle in position. That is done by the axle bolts/nuts. When they are tight to spec, the axle can't move on the swingarm.

Sounds like the axle wasn't torqued to the 65 ft-lbs. Did you use a wrench on both sides of the axle? Any corrosion preventing proper torquing?

If the axle migrated rear-wards only on one side, it would get tighter.
You can hammer on a block of soft wood held against the axle to get the migrated side back in position. If my explanation is correct, you would feel the axle become loose.
Plasma1 and PiedmontBuckeye like this.

2014 CB500F: GSXR600 rear shock, Traxxion fork emulators+springs, Kuryakyn Throttle Boss, IDEA Gear Indicator, Slipstreamer S-06 windscreen, SW-Motech handlebar risers, LED tail light, rubber tank side pads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page