Link Pipes - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothezenith View Post
@john2019 with the IXIL header, just be aware that it does not have the tabs front and back like the oem one for the bottom heatshield to screw onto; so you either go without it or find means for it to bolt on. An If you have no method to weld, an exhaust shop can weld some tabs on for not much. It's a nice system though.
Thanks for the heads up! I was told that the oxygen sensor hole on this link needs an adapter for the CB500F 2019 model because the oxygen sensor is a littler thinner that the rest. The link is already on the mail, as soon as I install it I'll report how this think works. I'm very excited!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 04:00 AM

Correct. The Ixil pipe has a larger O2 bung than the oem one. The oem sensor is narrow-band, the Ixil is ready to be used with a wideband sensor what is needed anyway to tune the bike to the changed components.
Should you want to use the oem O2 sensor after the remap, you'll need one of these : https://www.jpcycles.com/product/542...or-adapter-kit

Last edited by Oyabun; 10-21-2019 at 05:47 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
Correct. The Ixil pipe has a larger O2 bung than the oem one. The oem sensor is narrow-band, the Ixil is ready to be used with a wide and sensor what is needed anyway to tune the bike to the changed components.
Should you want to use the oem O2 sensor after the remap, you'll need one of these : https://www.jpcycles.com/product/542...or-adapter-kit
Thanks Oyabun

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:47 AM

I just received an "Akrapovic" slip-on muffler with decibel-killer and mid-pipe, springs, etc, for my 2017 CB-500F. Cost just under $73 USD shipped from E-bay vendor "betterprice_motor". Took me an hour to fit, as I had to make a muffler hanger (I don't use the passenger footrests). I have not ridden with it yet but did run the engine and sound is a pleasant bit more than the OEM boat anchor of a muffler, not at all objectionable. Weight is 4# compared to 10# for the OEM muffler, via my old bathroom scale. Fit and finish are excellent. The mid-pipe end that joins the exhaust pipe was about .030" oversize, but the sturdy clamp joined them together nicely.

It looks fine and shipping was about a week at most. Very well packed. No instructions that I could see but after 66 years messing with motorcycles.....

I'm going to watch carefully how it performs (not looking for any improvement, there) but do hope it returns the 75 mpg I'd been getting with the OEM muffler. I won't be riding any differently (Slow is what I am). This muffler is not going to be as efficient as the product of Honda's engineers, but at low-moderate rpm I expect it will be fine; sound better and sheds 6# in the process. Upper rpm performance (I don't go there) likely will suffer with the Db killer fitted. Not a concern to me.

After a few weeks I'll report in again.

Ralph
airhead83 likes this.

"You don't stop riding because you got old...You got old because you stopped riding,"
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

I'm happy for you! 75 MPG, that's very good. How do you calculate your miles per gallon? The tank is 4.5 Gal. so if I put 4 gal. I divide the number of miles driven between the number of gallons spent. Like last time I put 4 gallons and drove 240 miles, so that makes it 60 MPG.

Last edited by john2019; 10-22-2019 at 02:04 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2019 View Post
I'm happy for you! 75 MPG, that's very good. How do you calculate your miles per gallon? The tank is 4.5 Gal. so if I put 4 gal. I divide the number of miles driven between the number of gallons spent. Like last time I put 4 gallons and drove 240 miles, so that makes it 60 MPG.
John: That is the traditional way to calculate fuel mileage and is what I use. I should point out that I have fitted a 17T countershaft sprocket (Standard is 15T) and this raises my gearing but 13.3%, lowering the rpm at any speed by the same percentage. This relaxes the engine similarly when cruising (600 rpm less at 60 mph) and that should impact mileage as well as engine longevity. I have done that on so many bikes I have lost track. I just don't like "buzzy" engines and rarely exceed 4500 or so. I live in a rural area and am never stuck in traffic, which I'm sure also improves my fuel mileage.

Ralph

"You don't stop riding because you got old...You got old because you stopped riding,"
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
John: That is the traditional way to calculate fuel mileage and is what I use. I should point out that I have fitted a 17T countershaft sprocket (Standard is 15T) and this raises my gearing but 13.3%, lowering the rpm at any speed by the same percentage. This relaxes the engine similarly when cruising (600 rpm less at 60 mph) and that should impact mileage as well as engine longevity. I have done that on so many bikes I have lost track. I just don't like "buzzy" engines and rarely exceed 4500 or so. I live in a rural area and am never stuck in traffic, which I'm sure also improves my fuel mileage.

Ralph
The 17T sprocket makes a lot of sense for you getting 75 MPG on your bike. I may try that with my CB500F. I did it to my Grom, I installed a 16T & 17T and both resulted on lots of power lost. I couldn't go more than 45 ~ 50 MPH, also, the RPM could not go more than 5 ~ 6K. The bike lost like a 1/3 of power. I had to go back to stock. I wish I could get less fuel consumption but also I don't want to loose my 0-60 affected too much. I need agility to move out of the way or pass cars very easy.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

As I promised I'm reporting about the IXIL DECAT RACE PIPE for my CB500FA 2019. I received it yesterday.
My first impressions are great! It really surpassed all my expectations. This is a fine piece of pipe, the welding is impressive, the material is top quality, the fitting of this pipe on my bike is perfect and on top of all that, IXIL sent me the adapter already installed in the pipe so I could install the oxygen sensor of my bike which is thinner than the original hole on the pipe. This is awesome!

First, I tested it without any Slip-on installed and the sound was very loud and scary just like I wanted it.

second, I installed the Akrapovic Slip-on, but I did not like it at all. The Akrapovic Slip-on silenced all the good and loud sound and worse of all, started to reversing smoke towards the engine. This was not good at all.

Third, I installed a cheap no name Slip-on and this one fitted perfectly and the sound was great. I even removed the baffle on this one. The baffle on the Akrapovic is not removable.

This morning I tested the bike and I was super happy, the bike behaves super responsive, I felt like it gained like 10 HP or more. I still need to do more testing and some small adjustments but so far I'm very pleased.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 01:57 PM

John (and others): May I suggest that you wear ear plugs when you ride. Hearing aids are costly and a nuisance. I have never ridden loud bikes on the street but have a pro racing background, 50 years ago when ear plugs were not commonly used, and in later life have had to get hearing aids.

Ralph
airhead83 likes this.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
John (and others): May I suggest that you wear ear plugs when you ride. Hearing aids are costly and a nuisance. I have never ridden loud bikes on the street but have a pro racing background, 50 years ago when ear plugs were not commonly used, and in later life have had to get hearing aids.

Ralph
Thanks for your suggestion. I agree with you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page